Unbelievable... 0% Graduation rate '97-'00

Jagwar

I never really expected much out of Baxter in the NBA....although it's hard to call his post-Maryland career anything but disappointing, unfortunately.

Wilcox left college a year too early. I think he's just now starting to get over it, but he can definitely become a solid NBAer yet.

Also I'd like to refer you all to THolden's post a little ways down this page, and then again at the very bottom. Yes, that is who you think it is. First off, I think that underlines just how important it is for universities to allow students to finish their degrees with online courses instead of necessarily being on campus. And furthermore, it shows what stupid rules the NCAA has in place that prevent a good guy and a good student who did get his degree from counting towards the Maryland numbers.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baseball players graduate at a higher rate than basketball players so I'm not sure the relevance of bringing up that sport.. I do disagree that there is an outcry about basketball graduation rates.

Whether or not that's true, that's irrelevant to the discussion. I wasn't comparing graduation rates.

If Maryland was at anything other than 0% it doesn't get much attention. It's kind of like the O's 30-3 loss earlier this year. Give up 20 runs and it's a bad night, give up 30 and it's a national embarrassment. Hit the magic 0% mark and you are going to get attention you'd never get even if they'd only graduated 5 or 10%.

I don't know why you and inmn continue to ignore the fact that we're talking about 10... count them... 10 students in the statistic... all of whom went on to get paid to play basketball - and some of them may have graduated - I think there was an earlier post that showed some of them did. It just might have taken them more than the allotted period used for that statistic. Miller probably graduated from Notre Dame. And the 11th guy - who's not counted in this stat - Cephas - did graduate from Maryland. Mouton probably graduated. Stop looking at the stat all by itself, and look at the reality. It's like evaluating Tejada's defense by just looking at his fielding percentage. Right?

Whether or not that's true, that's irrelevant to the discussion. I wasn't comparing graduation rates.

I don't know why you and inmn continue to ignore the fact that we're talking about 10... count them... 10 students in the statistic... all of whom went on to get paid to play basketball - and some of them may have graduated - I think there was an earlier post that showed some of them did. It just might have taken them more than the allotted period used for that statistic. Miller probably graduated from Notre Dame. And the 11th guy - who's not counted in this stat - Cephas - did graduate from Maryland. Mouton probably graduated. Stop looking at the stat all by itself, and look at the reality. It's like evaluating Tejada's defense by just looking at his fielding percentage. Right?

I'm not sure what the point you were trying to make was by bringing up college baseball.

I basically agree w/you that it isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things since it is somewhat of an aberration. If the program or school thinks the stat is unfair in it's implementation maybe they should go on the offensive. Bob Huggins had even more criticism than GW has gotten for his 0% grad rate a while back. He went on the offensive and got some real improvements to how the stats are counted - i.e. not penalizing the program for guys who leave early for the NBA.

I'm not sure what the point you were trying to make was by bringing up college baseball.

Speaking of hypocrisy, why is there just an outcry about basketball athletes? College baseball players left colleges to go pro at a far greater rate than basketball players for many years - with almost zero public outcry. And the vast majority of them get paid peanuts - never making decent money playing baseball.

Archived