Do we have ANY chance to sign Machado in time for him to play some short-season ball?

I really feel that there is a huge benefit to getting a top high school pick 100+ AB the year he is selected, as opposed to having him start from scratch the following year. Look at how Avery and Hoes benefitted from their GCL stint and being able to go right to Delmarva last year. I'd hate to have to give Machado the same treatment we gave Mychal Givens this season. Granted, Machado is a bigger talent so maybe he could start at Delmarva anyway, but I'd love to get him to the GCL or Bluefield this summer for at least a month.

Any chance we can do this, or is the MacPhail-Boras combo just guaranteed to mean this negotation goes to 11:59 on August 15?

I really feel that there is a huge benefit to getting a top high school pick 100+ AB the year he is selected, as opposed to having him start from scratch the following year. Look at how Avery and Hoes benefitted from their GCL stint and being able to go right to Delmarva last year. I'd hate to have to give Machado the same treatment we gave Mychal Givens this season. Granted, Machado is a bigger talent so maybe he could start at Delmarva anyway, but I'd love to get him to the GCL or Bluefield this summer for at least a month.

Any chance we can do this, or is the MacPhail-Boras combo just guaranteed to mean this negotation goes to 11:59 on August 15?

This one...what I wonder is how quickly will be playing pro ball next year?

Givens either received bad advice or changed his $ requirements post-draft. Givens should have been signed much earlier and that really is not on JJ, IMO.

Boras is usually about extracting the last $ so even if we offered $5M today, Boras would wait all summer for $5.15M.

I think the more intriguing signings will be the other HSers - Narron, Bridwell, Gonzalez, Tanner, Sawyer, etc. There's a lot of projection there and we'll have to see if we have to wait for these guys to sign in the $250k-$500k range or closer to $1M. My uneducated guess is that two of the HSers will be summer follows/last minute signings.

Yeah, apparently the Royals got Colon mainly because they had most of the deal lined up and structured with Boras.

But they were reaching, the O's got a guy that kind of fell. I think that makes negotiations with Boras much much more difficult.

There doesn't seem to be any chatter about his sign-ability one way or another, which I think in all cases is a bad sign for the O's getting this done really quickly.

No, he won't be signed until August.

He's gonna be overslot, and I don't think the MLB office will even consider approving any overslot contracts until about a week before the deadline.

This is the bigger reason he probably won't sign before August.

Even if the O's make an offer that is acceptable to Machado/Boras, it will still probably be over slot by enough that the league won't approve it until the last day to sign.

This is the bigger reason he probably won't sign before August.

Even if the O's make an offer that is acceptable to Machado/Boras, it will still probably be over slot by enough that the league won't approve it until the last day to sign.

No, he won't be signed until August.

He's gonna be overslot, and I don't think the MLB office will even consider approving any overslot contracts until about a week before the deadline.

Honestly I hope what you're saying pops up in every single 'Machado signing' post. People need to understand this. Everyone could agree on a number RIGHT NOW and MLB won't approve the deal until close to the deadline.

Honestly I hope what you're saying pops up in every single 'Machado signing' post. People need to understand this. Everyone could agree on a number RIGHT NOW and MLB won't approve the deal until close to the deadline.

It almost needs to be a sticky. :laughlol: And I think the more accurate term is that MLB will not process the paperwork until closer to the deadline. Technically, I don't think its a matter of approval as I don't think they can reject simply based on signing bonus. But they do have to process all paperwork. I could be wrong on this point.

Can't we just sign him for slot, and then slip him another million in a shady back alley deal the next day? That way he gets his money, we get him some playing time this summer, and MLB's slotting system ostensibly remains in tact. :thumbsup1:

Can't we just sign him for slot' date=' and then slip him another million in a shady back alley deal the next day? That way he gets his money, we get him some playing time this summer, and MLB's slotting system ostensibly remains in tact. :thumbsup1:[/quote']

Hire his mom/sister/aunt/significant other as Pete's receptionist for 1.3M and the deal is done. :D

I posted this in another thread before the draft started.

Am I missing something or are we misinterpreting what goes on with overslot signings? I don't believe that the signing HAVE to be approved but that it is more considered a courtesy not to announce them till right before the deadline.

In '08, the Rays drafted Beckham and signed him for $6,150,000 very quickly following the draft. I remember BA being quite shocked that they would thumb their nose at MLB like that but approved the move because Tampa basically said "Hey we drafted him, we're paying him, now we want him on the field as quick as possible."

That is the only case I can think of off hand though.

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up. Unless he's signing for slot, MLB is going to force teams to wait until the deadline for approval.

I posted this in another thread before the draft started.

Am I missing something or are we misinterpreting what goes on with overslot signings? I don't believe that the signing HAVE to be approved but that it is more considered a courtesy not to announce them till right before the deadline.

In '08, the Rays drafted Beckham and signed him for $6,150,000 very quickly following the draft. I remember BA being quite shocked that they would thumb their nose at MLB like that but approved the move because Tampa basically said "Hey we drafted him, we're paying him, now we want him on the field as quick as possible."

That is the only case I can think of off hand though.

My unverstanding is that since Beckham was setting the market, MLB had no issue approving the above-slot signing.

In this case, maybe BAL could in fact get Machado's deal through with the argument that Harper is his own special case and the Machado deal will not artificially raise his value.

An example of MLB holding onto a deal would be Gerrit Cole. The Yankees and Cole had verbally agreed on a bonus early in the summer but MLB would not approve until August. In the coming months, Cole got more excited about UCLA and ended-up changing his mind by the time August rolled around.

My unverstanding is that since Beckham was setting the market, MLB had no issue approving the above-slot signing.

In this case, maybe BAL could in fact get Machado's deal through with the argument that Harper is his own special case and the Machado deal will not artificially raise his value.

An example of MLB holding onto a deal would be Gerrit Cole. The Yankees and Cole had verbally agreed on a bonus early in the summer but MLB would not approve until August. In the coming months, Cole got more excited about UCLA and ended-up changing his mind by the time August rolled around.

Thank God for MLB in this case. :eek::eek::eek:

Archived