Ridiculous quote from Rick Dempsey on 105.7 this morning

ScottieBaseball

He also said something along the lines of every player should be in shape to be able to play all 162 games without ever needing a day off.

Says Dempsey, who played 120 games in only 6 out of his 24 seasons.

Dempsey has a football mentality. More than anything else, that's why I think he would be a bad manager.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From May 22...

Miss-speaking? You gotta be kidding? I guess If she said someone made an error in fielding a punt instead of a fumble during a Ravens game, that would also be -miss-speaking? :confused:

Whatever happened to being stupid, which is what I would call it?:scratchchinhmm:

This isn't miss-speaking or miss-spelling people, this is simply not knowing what one is talking about when she should know as she covers both the Ravens (hint - FOOTBALL) and the Orioles (hint- BASEBALL) and the rules are vastly different as far as removing an injured player from the game.:eek:

MY LORD, do the EXCUSES NEVER STOP HERE? It seems NOBODY is EVER HELD ACOUNTABLE for MUCKING THINGS UP!!!:angryfire:

So you would deflect the appropriate blame from her to ME? That is beyond NUTS!

What they ought to do is give her pretty blonde tucas a pink slip for coming across as a moron!

From this thread...

Maybe he actually just miss-spoke and meant to say "one of the toughest cities" in all of baseball. We all have do this before (at least I know I have, even in writing). As evidence of this I believe the Orioles may be the only team to ever have a player die in spring training. So to dismiss this as stupid is wrong just because of semantics.:eek:
I am not arguing that. But every human being I know of except one has done at least one or more stupid things in their lifetime. So what?
Of course, obviously Dempsey miss-spoke or exaggerated in making his statement that the Orioles have it worse than every other team. So what? It sure isn't that big of a deal to me.

:scratchchinhmm:

His statement was silly, but it has ZERO impact on my opinion of whether he'd make a good major league manager, or more specifically, a good manager for the current Baltimore Orioles.

I think Dempsey has two or three positives:

1. General passion. There's no way he'd sit silently watching his team make mental mistakes or not play the game he wanted them to.

2. Specific passion for the Baltimore Orioles. The guy bleeds black and orange, he'd be like Tommy Lasorda for the Dodgers in that respect and the city would love him for it.

3. A lot of knowledge about how the game should be played. Let's face it, you don't survive 24 years in the majors without knowing something about how to play the game. And Dempsey didn't just play a long time, he played on a lot of great teams and caught a lot of great pitchers. He's not as dumb as he sometimes sounds, at least when it comes to baseball.

I think Dempsey also has some serious negatives. I doubt very much that he'd know when it was time to shut his mouth, either in the clubhouse or with the media. He has a reputation as something of a backstabber within the Orioles organization, and that can't be good. And various comments he makes after games make me think he wouldn't be the best strategist.

I actually wouldn't have minded if Dempsey had been named the interim manager, just to see how it would go. But I'm pretty squeamish about giving him the full-time gig.

I would encourage everyone to listen to Dempsey's interview - this is starting to get scary. Link was posted earlier in the thread, but I'll post it again:

http://1057thefan.cbslocal.com/2010/06/18/rick-dempsey-interview/

Dempsey says AM will likely call him to set up an interview once the team returns from the road trip. Sounds to me like he took advantage of AM being out of town and got in Peter's ear. If he gets an interview that's one step closer to the job and from what I'm hearing on the radio he's got lots of public support. Could Angelos overrule AM and give him the job?

I would encourage everyone to listen to Dempsey's interview - this is starting to get scary. Link was posted earlier in the thread, but I'll post it again:

Dempsey says AM will likely call him to set up an interview once the team returns from the road trip. Sounds to me like he took advantage of AM being out of town and got in Peter's ear. If he gets an interview that's one step closer to the job and from what I'm hearing on the radio he's got lots of public support. Could Angelos overrule AM and give him the job?

If that happens I'd believe you'd see Andy resign right there.

Of course, obviously Dempsey miss-spoke or exaggerated in making his statement that the Orioles have it worse than every other team. So what? It sure isn't that big of a deal to me.
Says the man who CALLED FOR AMBER THEOHARIS TO BE FIRED BECAUSE OF ONE MISSTATEMENT.

Are you kidding me right now, OldFan?

Well? OldFan? Hello?

It's possible but I heard this comment and I don't think he has any actual indication that he'll be given an interview. Keep in mind, he was talking to two guys who want him to be the manager and to a listening audience that probably largely likes him (or they would have flipped the station). He has now planted in everyone's minds that if they don't hear about him getting an interview when AM comes back, something is wrong.

It's possible but I heard this comment and I don't think he has any actual indication that he'll be given an interview. Keep in mind, he was talking to two guys who want him to be the manager and to a listening audience that probably largely likes him (or they would have flipped the station). He has now planted in everyone's minds that if they don't hear about him getting an interview when AM comes back, something is wrong.

Good strategery on Rick's part.

Archived