Ridiculous quote from Rick Dempsey on 105.7 this morning

ScottieBaseball

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not arguing that. But every human being I know of except one has done at least one or more stupid things in their lifetime. So what?

The "so what" is that the ratio for human beings is greatly skewed by Rick Dempsey whenever he opens his mouth. This his the reason he's got to basically pimp himself out as a managerial candidate, because his acumen sure as hell is a deterrent.

How many of them are Major League managers?

I don't know, as I haven't kept track of that sort of thing, but probably a fair number of them would be my guess.

And it is quite obvious you can say plenty of stupid things yet still be a good manager. Just look at Yogi Berra for example! He's the poster boy for stupid statements. Everyone knows this!:eek::laughlol:

And, I'm with Scottie... I have extremely fond memories of the guy, but this isn't the first stupid thing we've heard Dempsey say.

Honestly, I think he's a good guy but he is an attention monger when there's a managerial opening, and that's annoying. I listen to sports talk radio at work and I've heard his voice seemingly every day since they fired Trembley.

It gets old.

Yeah, me too. He's actually starting to tarnish his playing reputation a bit in my head as I have to "sit through" these shenanigans of his. Joe Morgan syndrome, except nowhere near as "well spoken" a person. But definitely has that problem of having been a decent to good (or in Morgans case, HoF) player who doesn't actually seem to get baseball beyond their little personal bubble.

The "so what" is that the ratio for human beings is greatly skewed by Rick Dempsey whenever he opens his mouth. This his the reason he's got to basically pimp himself out as a managerial candidate, because his acumen sure as hell is a deterrent.

Pure balderdash. Yogi Berra is the poster boy for stupid statements and he sucessfully managed for years and you know it. Gimme a break!:rolleyes: Stupid statements have no connection with ability or inability to manage a major league team.

No, just evidence as to how hot and tough Spring Training can be for the Orioles. Dempsey ought to know, he went to many of them as a player. Can you or anyone else here claim they have experienced Spring Training as a player in the Florida heat?:eek::eektf:

Ummm, don't teams like the Yanks and Sox also attend spring training in Florida? How is that working out for them?

For the record, Georgia heat is by far worse than Florida heat and I do know this from experience. ;)

Wow, that is crazy. Drink Gatorade when you're hot and active and it replentishes your electrolytes.

I do believe that it's got to be jarring when you spend a month in the Florida sun with temps at 70-90 degrees each day and then come to Baltimore and play a few night games in April (and other cold weather cities) where temps are in the 40's.

I don't think it should make a team start 2-16 though.

Ummm, don't teams like the Yanks and Sox also attend spring training in Florida? How is that working out for them?

For the record, Georgia heat is by far worse than Florida heat and I do know this from experience. ;)

Of course, obviously Dempsey miss-spoke or exaggerated in making his statement that the Orioles have it worse than every other team. So what? It sure isn't that big of a deal to me.

I don't know, as I haven't kept track of that sort of thing, but probably a fair number of them would be my guess.

And it is quite obvious you can say plenty of stupid things yet still be a good manager. Just look at Yogi Berra for example! He's the poster boy for stupid statements. Everyone knows this!:eek::laughlol:

Come on now, Yogi was the king of the harmless confused sayings, and malapropisms. Nowhere in his humorous observations did he ever say something that ever made you wonder how he could have played baseball for so long and not actually UNDERSTAND baseball. You were just like "whoa, what a space cadet."

It's the difference between asking advice from a guru who speaks in riddle and asking the beggar down in Fells who thinks he's a prophet.

Pure balderdash. Yogi Berra is the poster boy for stupid statments and he sucessfully managed for years and you know it. Gimme a break!:rolleyes: Stupid statements have no connection with ability or inability to manage a major league team.

Balderdash. Nice.

And your last statement is the balderdash. GOOD DAY.

Maybe he actually just miss-spoke and meant to say "one of the toughest cities" in all of baseball. We all have do this before (at least I know I have, even in writing). As evidence of this I believe the Orioles may be the only team to ever have a player die in spring training. So to dismiss this as stupid is wrong just because of semantics.:eek:

Did you listen to the entire interview? Of course you didn't. He didn't mis-speak. He made the statement and then elaborated on it.

The entire interview was chock-full of foolish statements like the one I paraphrased.

By the way...a nutritional supplement was determined to have had more to do with the above-referenced player's passing than the heat.

Also, and I'm sure it's not intentional that you missed it, but every team in Major League Baseball has Spring Training in either the tropical climate of Florida or the blazing desert heat in Arizona.

Archived