Ridiculous quote from Rick Dempsey on 105.7 this morning

ScottieBaseball

I think Rick Dempsey's a heckuva nice guy. Seriously. He along with Scott McGregor, Cal Ripken, Jim Palmer, and others are among my childhood favorites.

That being said, his appearance on 105.7 this morning, while apparently well received by some fans, bordered on comical in terms of how he'd fix the Orioles.

(paraphrased) "Baltimore is the toughest city in all of professional baseball to play in. They go down there to spring training in all that heat and humidity and lose a lot of salt. Unless their muscles are toned, they come back up here to Baltimore where it can be raw and cold in April, and then you get all these muscles pulls and strains."

Really Rick? The toughest city in all of baseball?!?! New York, Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, Cinncinatti, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, DC, and Minnesota don't also go from extreme heat in Florida and Arizona to colder northern climates?!?!

And "lose a lot of salt"? So what...salt tablet dispensers in the clubhouse and we solve that problem, right?

This isn't the first time I've heard him say something baseball-related and WTF'd right away.

Again...nice guy, but there's a reason he was slowly moved away from the dugout and then off the field altogether.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Rick Dempsey's a heckuva nice guy. Seriously. He along with Scott McGregor, Cal Ripken, Jim Palmer, and others are among my childhood favorites.

That being said, his appearance on 105.7 this morning, while apparently well received by some fans, bordered on comical in terms of how he'd fix the Orioles.

(paraphrased) "Baltimore is the toughest city in all of professional baseball to play in. They go down there to spring training in all that heat and humidity and lose a lot of salt. Unless their muscles are toned, they come back up here to Baltimore where it can be raw and cold in April, and then you get all these muscles pulls and strains."

Really Rick? The toughest city in all of baseball?!?! New York, Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, Cinncinatti, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, DC, and Minnesota don't also go from extreme heat in Florida and Arizona to colder northern climates?!?!

And "lose a lot of salt"? So what...salt tablet dispensers in the clubhouse and we solve that problem, right?

This isn't the first time I've heard him say something baseball-related and WTF'd right away.

Again...nice guy, but there's a reason he was slowly moved away from the dugout and then off the field altogether.

Maybe he actually just miss-spoke and meant to say "one of the toughest cities" in all of baseball. We all have do this before (at least I know I have, even in writing). As evidence of this I believe the Orioles may be the only team to ever have a player die in spring training. So to dismiss this as stupid is wrong just because of semantics.:eek:

Maybe he actually just miss-spoke and meant to say "one of the toughest cities" in all of baseball. We all have do this before (at least I know I have, even in writing). As evidence of this I believe the Orioles may be the only team to ever have a player die in spring training. So to dismiss this as stupid is wrong just because of semantics.:eek:

As evidence of what? Are suggesting Steven Belcher died from low salt? Really?

Are you Rick Dempsey?

At least he didn't call Baltimore a Horse**** town.

As evidence of what? Are suggesting Steven Belcher died from low salt? Really?

No, just evidence as to how hot and tough Spring Training can be for the Orioles. Dempsey ought to know, he went to many of them as a player. Can you or anyone else here claim they have experienced Spring Training as a player in the Florida heat?:eek::eektf:

That's a pretty low and insensitive comment.

No, just evidence as to how hot and tough Spring Training can be for the Orioles. Dempsey ought to know, he went to many of them as a player. Can you or anyone else here claim they have experienced Spring Training as a player in the Florida heat?:eek::eektf:

Here's a better questions: Can You?

Even if he misspoke it's still patently stupid.

I always thought it was evidence of the danger of a certain supplement if misused.

You do realize that the point of this thread is that a lot of teams play in Florida and then come north to colder weather cities, don't you? If it's hot for the Orioles, it's hot for a lot of others too.

Maybe they eat more soup. :confused:

Even if he misspoke it's still patently stupid.

And, I'm with Scottie... I have extremely fond memories of the guy, but this isn't the first stupid thing we've heard Dempsey say.

Honestly, I think he's a good guy but he is an attention monger when there's a managerial opening, and that's annoying. I listen to sports talk radio at work and I've heard his voice seemingly every day since they fired Trembley.

It gets old.

Archived