McPhail defends pace of hiring a new manager

neverknew97

So AM's incapable of one of the most basic office worker skills like multitasking? The quicker you get Buck in here the more time he has to get familiar with the team and players. That prepares him that much more for next season where he can assess and make more informed decisions about which players and coaches he wants to keep. Not sure why that's not a good enough reason to get him in here immediately.

As far as keeping Samuel because the team somehow mustered a 10-7 record. I'm getting nightmares of Luis Hernandez playign SS for us again, because he hit a little bit. AM's decision so it's not unprecedented. Sample size people!

Well according to the article he is focusing on the trade deadline but met with BS at this Texas home for a 3rd time. Sounds like multi-tasking to me. Again, I think getting Showalter in quickly would be fine but I am not having a stroke about it.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eh. "The barn's not on fire" was a bad analogy, but MacPhail is right that it really doesn't matter if Showalter starts today or a month from now. This season is hopelessly lost, and the main reason to get Showalter in here before the season is over isn't to win more games in 2010, but just to get him familiar with his players and (to the extent he doesn't fire them immediately) the coaches so that he can be more effective in planning for 2011.

As to how the team is playing under Samuel, yes they are only 14-20, but they are 10-7 most recently. So it's not like they are currently in free fall so that it's desperate to get someone in here to try to stop the hemorrhaging.

There you have it. People are making this a far bigger deal than it needs to be. If AM were to lose BS because BS tired of the wait or another team hired him, then AM has some explaining to do. But there's no indication that is going to happen. Until/unless that happens, this is over kill, IMO. Maybe BS and AM have an overall agreement in place and just need to work out the details.

Eh. "The barn's not on fire" was a bad analogy, but MacPhail is right that it really doesn't matter if Showalter starts today or a month from now. This season is hopelessly lost, and the main reason to get Showalter in here before the season is over isn't to win more games in 2010, but just to get him familiar with his players and (to the extent he doesn't fire them immediately) the coaches so that he can be more effective in planning for 2011.

As to how the team is playing under Samuel, yes they are only 14-20, but they are 10-7 most recently. So it's not like they are currently in free fall so that it's desperate to get someone in here to try to stop the hemorrhaging.

No, it doesn't matter...provided that in the meantime that the Orioles don't do their normal thing and screw it up.

BTW, these have to be some of the dumbest quotes I have ever read from a respected baseball person. On top of that, he sounds very defensive.

I guess I don't understand the big deal. My guess is they've agreed, but neither party is worried about timing - Showalter can learn while the details are ironed out, after all.

I'd rather it happen quickly, but there's no reason that this needs to be done any faster than it would be in the off-season. Unless there's a risk of losing Buck. My guess is that if that risk existed, Buck would be signed by now.

A true Orioles fan would have their pitchfork and torch ready to go! :cussing:

:rolleyes:

No, it doesn't matter...provided that in the meantime that the Orioles don't do their normal thing and screw it up.

BTW, these have to be some of the dumbest quotes I have ever read from a respected baseball person. On top of that, he sounds very defensive.

He does sound defensive. But in his defense, he may know something all the complainers don't (i.e., the parties have agreed in principle to the deal and it will get done).

Right exactly... I am stunned sometimes at his complete lack of PR savvy.

He does sound defensive. But in his defense, he may know something all the complainers don't (i.e., the parties have agreed in principle to the deal and it will get done).

That's not a defense. If things are done, great...then stop saying idiotic things that make you look unfit to hold the job of GM.

I'm inclined to give Nick Markakis more credit for the Orioles recent success than Samuel. It wasn't until his comments were made, a couple of weeks after Samuel was made interim manager, that the team started hitting better. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd like to point out that this really means nothing. At 14-20 (a high mark after an unlikely 4 game winning streak), our winning percentage under JS is .412. W/o the winning streak, our % was .333. Our overall winning % is .330 today.

I'm inclined to give Nick Markakis more credit for the Orioles recent success than Samuel. It wasn't until his comments were made, a couple of weeks after Samuel was made interim manager, that the team started hitting better. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I am inclined to give credit to the law of average to be honest with you. Even with the injuries and such this team to me was never "historically" bad.

The team has done so badly this year that Samuel managing them to a 10-7 record before the break seems like it can't continue. So I have no problem with Samuel playing out his winning streak and seeing how long he can keep a winning record. How long can that last? A week? Maybe a little longer? If he keeps it going for the rest of the year he is a heck of a manager.

I have not problem with the pace of the search. They have narrowed it to two managers and one of the many has to pull off a miracle to stay in the running. I will actually enjoy seeing what happens.

The team has done so badly this year that Samuel managing them to a 10-7 record before the break seems like it can't continue. So I have no problem with Samuel playing out his winning streak and seeing how long he can keep a winning record. How long can that last? A week? Maybe a little longer? If he keeps it going for the rest of the year he is a heck of a manager.

I have not problem with the pace of the search. They have narrowed it to two managers and one of the many has to pull off a miracle to stay in the running. I will actually enjoy seeing what happens.

So, you don't think Buck can continue a good stretch?

Archived