McPhail defends pace of hiring a new manager

neverknew97

Some quotes with a link to the article at the bottom:

"The Orioles have zeroed in on Buck Showalter as their next manager, with MacPhail meeting with him last week in Dallas, where the current ESPN analyst lives. It was the third extensive talk between the two sides, but they’ve yet to hammer out all the details that would allow Showalter to move into the manager’s office at Camden Yards."

“It’s not dragging,” said MacPhail, almost incredulous that the process is being questioned by fans and reporters. “Again, there is no timetable here. It’s not like the barn is on fire right now. The players are doing a nice job for Juan. I just think that kind of [talk] is just wrong.”

"One source familiar with MacPhail’s thinking said it’s possible that Samuel will remain at the helm of the club until the first week of August, though obviously the decision could be accelerated if the team plays poorly on the current 10-game homestand."

"The Orioles president of baseball operations did acknowledge that his current focus is more on the coming trade deadline than the managerial situation because of the “finite July 31 deadline” to make nonwaiver deals. He also said there are no current interviews scheduled with other candidates, “but I don’t know if that door has been closed yet.”

"Team officials feel there are several benefits to waiting a little while before naming Showalter, or anybody else for that matter, as their manager. With Brian Roberts, Luke Scott, Matt Wieters, Kevin Millwood and Michael Gonzalez all expected to return within the next 2 1/2 weeks, the Orioles could be close to full strength for the first time since early April. That would give the new manager the best chance to have an immediate impact as there is some concern that the continued losing would tarnish the potential impact of a new manager."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/07/orioles_macphail_defends_pace.html

A few of my thoughts:

I don't like how the article is giving the impression that Showalter is the guy and yet the Orioles still might interview another candidate.

McPhail seems somewhat frustrated in his answers but I think that is a good thing. I think he is hearing a lot of frustrated fans.

I sort of get that they want to give the new manager a fair start but at the same time Buck will most likely get 3 to 4 years to do his job. Buck has a good track record and no one expects this team to compete this year.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The barn's not on fire? Really Andy? WTF do you call a 29-59 record?

The players are responding well and playing well for Juan? Again, I say, Really Andy? They are 14-20 under Juan, and that's thanks to a recent 4 game win streak. 14 and 20 is a .412 winning percentage. If that is playing well...if that is MacPhail's expectation of the team, then we as Orioles fans are SUNK!

I was pissed at the pace before, but after reading this article I am FURIOUS!

The players are responding well and playing well for Juan? Again, I say, Really Andy? They are 14-20 under Juan, and that's thanks to a recent 4 game win streak. 14 and 20 is a .412 winning percentage. If that is playing well...if that is MacPhail's expectation of the team, then we as Orioles fans are SUNK!

Yeah I have to admit Dip, nothing he said there helps my argument.

“It’s not dragging,” said MacPhail, almost incredulous that the process is being questioned by fans and reporters. “Again, there is no timetable here. It’s not like the barn is on fire right now. The players are doing a nice job for Juan. I just think that kind of [talk] is just wrong.”

Seriously, Andy? Do you really think you've earned the benefit of a doubt in Baltimore at this point? Until this franchise starts producing some positive results, you should expect to be questioned on every move you make, right down to the color sweater vest you choose to wear on a given day.

I don't think that the team's performance should dictate the hiring of Buck. But just because the Orioles don't have a winning record under Samuel doesn't mean the team isn't playing better. I wouldn't say that I was furious after reading the article but I am definitely more concerned now.

Barn is not on fire to get a new manager. Hiring Showalter, doesn't all of a sudden make this team 49-39.

So someone brought up waiting for B-Rob thing earlier, and I think it was kind of non sense. But this article kind of puts some sense to it. Don't want the Manager with a bad/horrible team from the beginning. At least give him some chance of winning. But overall, Meh.

I just want it done, but more out of morbid curiousity.

I don't think that the team's performance should dictate the hiring of Buck. But just because the Orioles don't have a winning record under Samuel doesn't mean the team isn't playing better. I wouldn't say that I was furious after reading the article but I am definitely more concerned now.

The point is, not only is MacPhail making excuses for himself, but then he has the audacity to complain about the fans being pissed? Who the hell does he think he is? The team has gotten worse each year he's been here. The system that he was supposedly restocking has no positional depth. And we cannot even hire a manager without making it a federal case. But what makes it worse is him saying the team is playing better under Juan. WTF cares if the team is playing better? Better than what Andy? We are STILL the worst team in baseball. We have falled 6 MORE games under .500 since Juan took over. THAT is playing better? Good grief! I hope to God that somewhere Dave is relaxing on a beach with his wife, sipping on a rum drink with a little umbrella in it, and laughing at this once proud franchise. But in reality, I know better, because Dave is much too classy to do that.

I have often thought that AM is not the best PR person in the world. And this interview just backs up my opinion.

While I agree that the timing of the hire is vastly less important than who they hire and for what reasons (thus I agree with him largely) the statement about the barn door isn't on fire is a major PR gaffe as far as I am concerned. Basically he is telling a fan base that has seen 13 straight losing seasons with a W/L record that has gotten worse each year of his tenure, and a current record that is 14 games out of 4th place and on pace to match the worst record in franchise history that he sees no need for urgency and he does it in a semi-sarcastic way.

To me the right statement should have been "We are going about this process as quickly as we feel is appropriate while making sure we are finding the right person for the future of the organization."

Archived