McPhail defends pace of hiring a new manager

neverknew97

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I asked this earlier in another thread. If he has been off ESPN, its a good sign that he is in manager mode and possibly putting the coaching staff together. If he has been on tv, then more than likely our fears are true and MacPhail is csrewing the pooch!

My biggest concern is why would MacPhail say "we may interview more candidates?"

You don't see any reason why that statement is made? You don't think there may be any bargaining going on?

This isn't completely directed at you, but some people are losing it in the sense that they think AM is completely clueless. It's got beyond ridiculous. (And I bet someone will comment that this team's record is beyond ridiculous:rolleyes:) Just because we are awful this year doesn't mean that the GM has regressed to the intelligence of a 3rd grader. I don't think some people realize that.

You don't see any reason why that statement is made? You don't think there may be any bargaining going on?

This isn't completely directed at you, but some people are losing it in the sense that they think AM is completely clueless. It's got beyond ridiculous. (And I bet someone will comment that this team's record is beyond ridiculous:rolleyes:) Just because we are awful this year doesn't mean that the GM has regressed to the intelligence of a 3rd grader. I don't think some people realize that.

Hear me out. The ones defending the "pace" of the negotiations with Buck have stated that the holdup may be that he is deciding on his coaching staff and other administrative things. If that is the case, why then make a statement like MacPhail did above? At that point, its no longer negotiating, its administrative. The ONLY explanation for the statement is what you said...he is still negotiating with Buck. And my point is IF that's the case, shame on MacPhail. We are in no position to hold out for a deal. Hire the man and lets get going.

There is no conspiracy to the Orioles always be in the wrong..that's just the truth.

You have reached new heights of sillyness. So the signing of Wieters, Matusz, Arrieta, was wrong? The Bedard trade was wrong? Moving Berken and DH to the pen was wrong? trading Ramon was wrong? Just to cite a few of their supposed mistakes. Care to explain why you now feel these were wrong moves?:rofl:

Hear me out. The ones defending the "pace" of the negotiations with Buck have stated that the holdup may be that he is deciding on his coaching staff and other administrative things. If that is the case, why then make a statement like MacPhail did above? At that point, its no longer negotiating, its administrative. The ONLY explanation for the statement is what you said...he is still negotiating with Buck. And my point is IF that's the case, shame on MacPhail. We are in no position to hold out for a deal. Hire the man and lets get going.
They may very well have agreed in general about a number of things but there most likely are demands on either side that need to be ironed out. Showalter is a detail guy(he changed the brand of toilet paper in the clubhouse) and not all of his requests may be reasonable from AM's POV. So they have to reach compromises. It's called negotiating. But of course if you are SG you simply give Buck everything he wants regardless.:rolleyestf:

They may very well have agreed in general about a number of things but there most likely are demands on either side that need to be ironed out. Showalter is a detail guy(he changed the brand of toilet paper in the clubhouse) and not all of his requests may be reasonable from AM's POV. So they have to reach compromises. It's called negotiating. But of course if you are SG you simply give Buck everything he wants regardless.:rolleyestf:

Maybe that's the issue...maybe Buck squuezed the Charmin and it pissed MacPhail off???? He was in a bad mood today! :laughlol:

It's a two way street, is it not?

I'm not defending AM, but I'm not ready to burn him at the stake either.

Not trying to pile on here but the facts are AM was hired to do a job for the Orioles. In fairness to him he is not responsible for the last 9 seasons.

He is Responsible for the last 3 and counting. Instead of making excuses about his handling of the O's and the pace at which he makes decisions. AM needs to do what is best for the team and get this done so he can focus on the trading deadline.

The longer this drags on the less confident I am that it's get done............

Not trying to pile on here but the facts are AM was hired to do a job for the Orioles. In fairness to him he is not responsible for the last 9 seasons.

He is Responsible for the last 3 and counting. Instead of making excuses about his handling of the O's and the pace at which he makes decisions. AM needs to do what is best for the team and get this done so he can focus on the trading deadline.

The longer this drags on the less confident I am that it's get done............

This is my fear as well. Which will then lead to....

New manager.....for the Baltimore Orioles (rioles...oles...les...) Rick.........Dempsey........

I can see your point, but only if these people who are defending the pace of the negotiations are privy to information that we aren't. I don't think they are, so what is likely is they are just throwing out possible explanations. If we had any idea what is going on with the negotiations, then more of this anger may be more appropriate.

Also, if we are negotiating I don't see why you would just kowtow to BS's demands. Why pay more than you have to. AM knows what he's doing (and this goes back to my comment that people have decided that he is clueless) and is not going to let Buck walk unless his demands are unreasonable. If you decide that you are in no position to negotiate, then you will surely get screwed.

I don't see the statement as some big deal. I think people tend to hang on AM's every word too much.

If I had to guess as to the holdup, I would say it's mostly about getting Buck's guys in here. There might be contractual problems with some coaches he wants to hire.

Just as a side note, I think the name Buck is the coolest for a manager.:D

This reminds me of the scene in Jaws, when Hooper and Brody are arguing with the mayor on the beach, in front of the vandalized billboard. (

- around the 6:30 mark)

Vaughn [MacPhail]: I don't think either one of you are familiar with our problems!

Hooper [Orioles fans]: Uh, I think that I am familiar the fact that you are going to ignore

this particular problem until it swims up and bites you in the ass!

10-20 = do you smell smoke? 14-20 = no fire, after all (even though it's 66-96 over a full season). However...

One source familiar with MacPhail’s thinking said it’s possible that Samuel will remain at the helm of the club until the first week of August, though obviously the decision could be accelerated if the team plays poorly on the current 10-game homestand.

In other words, the fire isn't quite put out after all, is it?:rolleyes:

Archived