Ok, Now They're Just Screwing With Boise, Right?

BaltimoreTerp

Or the best part would be, you know, actually putting the better team in the title game.

But as has been mentioned ad nauseum, there's no real way of knowing that under the present system.

And since the fallback argument against a playoff system has always been that you have to win your games to put yourself in the position to play for a championship, a one-loss team jumping not one but two undefeated teams would be a complete refutation of that talking point.

Giving more and more ammunition to the pro-playoff crowd.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But as has been mentioned ad nauseum, there's no real way of knowing that under the present system.

And since the fallback argument against a playoff system has always been that you have to win your games to put yourself in the position to play for a championship, a one-loss team jumping not one but two undefeated teams would be a complete refutation of that talking point.

True, and I am part of the pro-playoff crowd. However, under the current system Bama winning out and jumping Boise and TCU/Utah would be completely justified.

How did the computers have such a drastic change with Oregon? Last week they were 12th (I think) in the computers, this week they are 2nd.

The aggregate computer ranking for Oregon last week was #8. One of the computers had them at #11, another at #10. To move them all the way up to #2 after a win that I personally wasn't as impressed with as so many other people seemed to be is baffling and just shows that computer rankings should have no role whatsoever in the BCS. Not that we should completely trust human polls either, they are far from infallible and are heavily influenced by personal biases. But each year the system just continues to look worse and worse. Still, it will take a Boise or TCU somehow getting into the NCG over one of the AQ schools before a change is made....and even then I think an actual playoff, at least as we think of it, will be an evolutionary thing more so than something that just all of a sudden happens.

There were times when USC was ahead of Oregon but I don't think anyone who was watching the game could really think that the game was ever in any doubt. Oregon's offense is just a thing of beauty. They were just gouging USCs defense on so many plays, both with the run and the pass.

I don't think many pundits were doubting SC's offense but yes their defense is suspect.

Oregon will have a tough time at Cal and Oregon State. I don't think they can run the table but it will be fun to watch.

There were times when USC was ahead of Oregon but I don't think anyone who was watching the game could really think that the game was ever in any doubt. Oregon's offense is just a thing of beauty. They were just gouging USCs defense on so many plays, both with the run and the pass.

I don't think many pundits were doubting SC's offense but yes their defense is suspect.

Oregon will have a tough time at Cal and Oregon State. I don't think they can run the table but it will be fun to watch.

Arizona is going to be a huge game for them...

The resume of Boise, TCU or Utah isn't even comparable. Each one of those teams would top out around 8 wins if they played Bama's schedule.

Not so fast. The problem with these teams is that we just don't know. It could be that they would go 13-0, or 8-4. From what I've seen TCU can compete with anyone, I'm not so sure about Boise. However, if the season ended with Alabama 12-1 and TCU or Boise 12-0, then Alabama would deserve to be in the NCG, IMO. That doesn't mean that they are actually better than TCU or Boise, just that their schedule was much more daunting and they would get the benefit of the doubt.

In a perfect world, we would have a 4 or 6 team playoff to determine a NC.

Missouri has the 2nd toughest schedule in the country so far? Really? This is the 2nd toughest?

Sep 4 Illinois Won 23-13

Sep 11 McNeese State Won 50-6

Sep 18 San Diego St. Won 27-24

Sep 25 Miami (Ohio) Won 51-13

Oct 9 Colorado Won 26-0

Oct 16 @Texas A&M Won 30-9

Oct 23 Oklahoma Won 36-27

Oct 30 @Nebraska Lost 17-31

Missouri has the 2nd toughest schedule in the country so far? Really? This is the 2nd toughest?

Sep 4 Illinois Won 23-13

Sep 11 McNeese State Won 50-6

Sep 18 San Diego St. Won 27-24

Sep 25 Miami (Ohio) Won 51-13

Oct 9 Colorado Won 26-0

Oct 16 @Texas A&M Won 30-9

Oct 23 Oklahoma Won 36-27

Oct 30 @Nebraska Lost 17-31

What's the method of determining strength of schedule? If it's just opponent's record, then sure. That may not be the most accurate way of portraying it, but Oklahoma and Nebraska are both 7-1 and SD State is 6-2. The only team with a losing record on that schedule is Colorado.

Not so fast. The problem with these teams is that we just don't know. It could be that they would go 13-0, or 8-4. From what I've seen TCU can compete with anyone, I'm not so sure about Boise. However, if the season ended with Alabama 12-1 and TCU or Boise 12-0, then Alabama would deserve to be in the NCG, IMO. That doesn't mean that they are actually better than TCU or Boise, just that their schedule was much more daunting and they would get the benefit of the doubt.

In a perfect world, we would have a 4 or 6 team playoff to determine a NC.

It will be interesting to see next week's computer rankings, because one of TCU or Utah will have just beaten a Top 5 team. If it's Utah, they would likely jump Boise and be #3 next week. Not sure if TCU would jump Auburn or Oregon if they win, but with these damn computers you never know.

It will be interesting to see next week's computer rankings' date=' because one of TCU or Utah will have just beaten a Top 5 team. If it's Utah, they would likely jump Boise and be #3 next week. Not sure if TCU would jump Auburn or Oregon if they win, but with these damn computers you never know.[/quote']

Well, TCU is already 3rd in the computers, so there isn't alot of room to move up for them. If Oregon and Auburn both win out, we'll see you for the NC.

Well, TCU is already 3rd in the computers, so there isn't alot of room to move up for them. If Oregon and Auburn both win out, we'll see you for the NC.

True. But if one or both of Oregon/Auburn lose a game, the TCU/Utah winner could be sitting pretty. A win by one over the other will solidify their position and might help prevent them from being jumped by a 1-loss team.

I don't think you'll find anyone here defending the BCS, but the fact that we don't know who is better under the present system is all the more reason to give the teams with the best resumes the shots at the title.

It might be huge in terms of gaining in the computer rankings' date=' since Arizona is the only ranked team left on Oregon's schedule. But make no mistake, the Ducks will win that game. The Civil War will be the biggest hurdle for Oregon.[/quote']

We'll see...Arizona with a healthy Nick Foles is a damn good team. They will give Oregon all they can handle.

Archived