Ok, Now They're Just Screwing With Boise, Right?

BaltimoreTerp

I don't think you'll find anyone here defending the BCS, but the fact that we don't know who is better under the present system is all the more reason to give the teams with the best resumes the shots at the title.

Agreed. I'd be in favor of a playoff as well. But until that happens, you can only judge the quality of a team by the resume they have on the field. In college football, all wins aren't created equal. 13-0 in the WAC is not as impressive as 12-1 in the SEC.

Right or wrong, the college football bowl system is pretty entrenched. If mid-majors want to get a chance at a national title under the current system, then they need to adapt to the system. If the top mid-majors would get together under one conference they would have a resume that matches the other BCS conferences. Either that or do what Utah did and play well enough to get invited to a BCS conference.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now Boise State goes from playing in no less than the Rose Bowl, with an outside shot at the championship game, to not even winning the WAC. Which means they don't even get to play on their smurf turf in the Humanitarian Bowl. Instead, they'll probably head to beautiful Albuquerque to play in the New Mexico Bowl. I imagine that Bronco kicker is probably feeling about as awful as a human being can right now.

So now Boise State goes from playing in no less than the Rose Bowl' date=' with an outside shot at the championship game, to not even winning the WAC. Which means they don't even get to play on their smurf turf in the Humanitarian Bowl. Instead, they'll probably head to beautiful Albuquerque to play in the New Mexico Bowl. I imagine that Bronco kicker is probably feeling about as awful as a human being can right now.[/quote']

He's feeling really bad especially after missing two kicks to win it. I think even if Boise escaped with a 1 point win or won in OT they would not get the benefit of doubt from the BCS like Auburn will. Its a shame too, most of the voters who don't watch the non AQ conferences have not seen the programs like Nevada, Fresno, or Hawaii mature into good programs.

A lot of people out there are likely thumping their chests at Boise losing, but doing so is: 1. Downright offensive to a team like Nevada, and 2. Overlooking of every single season where teams from BCS conferences have blown their chance by losing to someone else, particularly of inferior quality (USC I'm looking in your general direction, and 2007). Nevada is a good football team, and they came back from a 17 point deficit to beat a team that to that point had a dominant defense and offense.

I'm extremely disappointing that Boise is almost guaranteed not to play in a BCS bowl this season, but you have to give credit to Nevada for not giving in and coming back.

A lot of people out there are likely thumping their chests at Boise losing, but doing so is: 1. Downright offensive to a team like Nevada, and 2. Overlooking of every single season where teams from BCS conferences have blown their chance by losing to someone else, particularly of inferior quality (USC I'm looking in your general direction, and 2007). Nevada is a good football team, and they came back from a 17 point deficit to beat a team that to that point had a dominant defense and offense.

I'm extremely disappointing that Boise is almost guaranteed not to play in a BCS bowl this season, but you have to give credit to Nevada for not giving in and coming back.

Boise State has now played two ranked teams (VT and Nevada). In one, they needed a score with less than a minute to go to win and in the other they lost in OT. In both games, they gave up 30 or more points.

Boise is a good team in a downright awful conference. Had they been forced to play in the SEC (like Auburn) or the PAC-10/Big Ten/Big Twelve they more than likely are a 2-3 loss team.

Can you imagine Boise State going into Alabama and winning? Neither can I.

He's feeling really bad especially after missing two kicks to win it. I think even if Boise escaped with a 1 point win or won in OT they would not get the benefit of doubt from the BCS like Auburn will. Its a shame too, most of the voters who don't watch the non AQ conferences have not seen the programs like Nevada, Fresno, or Hawaii mature into good programs.

Nor should they. I must have missed BSU beating top ten SEC teams on the road in front of 90K.

And Fresno State, Hawaii, and Nevada are not LSU, Alabama, etc. They just aren't.

Nor should they. I must have missed BSU beating top ten SEC teams on the road in front of 90K.

And Fresno State, Hawaii, and Nevada are not LSU, Alabama, etc. They just aren't.

The truth is, no one today deserves the benefit of the doubt. Fresno State, Hawaii, and Nevada may not be Alabama, LSU, or Auburn etc.,but Alabama, Nebraska, and especially Notre Dame are not the programs they were from the dynasty years either due to reductions in scholarships, television etc. That is what the power conferences are afraid of. Of course, we won't know who is really the best until it is settled in a "real" playoff.

The truth is, no one today deserves the benefit of the doubt. Fresno State, Hawaii, and Nevada may not be Alabama, LSU, or Auburn etc.,but Alabama, Nebraska, and especially Notre Dame are not the programs they were from the dynasty years either due to reductions in scholarships, television etc. That is what the power conferences are afraid of. Of course, we won't know who is really the best until it is settled in a "real" playoff.

No they aren't. But they are still head and shoulders above Fresno State, Nevada, and Hawaii. Well, not Notre Dame, but Bama and LSU certainly are.

No they aren't. But they are still head and shoulders above Fresno State, Nevada, and Hawaii. Well, not Notre Dame, but Bama and LSU certainly are.

I'll agree with you that they are better, but I can't give much credence to it unless they do it on the field. Just like Boise State must prove they are a top ten program on the field; programs like Bama and LSU have to prove they are better than the upstarts by beating them. Of course we won't see that either since the bowl tie-ins for all of the lower tier bowls ensure mostly bad match ups.

I'll agree with you that they are better, but I can't give much credence to it unless they do it on the field. Just like Boise State must prove they are a top ten program on the field; programs like Bama and LSU have to prove they are better than the upstarts by beating them. Of course we won't see that either since the bowl tie-ins for all of the lower tier bowls ensure mostly bad match ups.

That's my issue. Boise St played their way out of the NC and BCS Bowl last night, and I don't think anyone can argue that at all. But they are still deserving of a much better bowl game than a middling Mountain West team in New Mexico. I'd love to see Boise play Alabama in something like the Capital One Bowl, or Nevada play Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl. As much as I want a playoff, I do love me some college bowl season....but enough of these conference tie-ins for every bowl game that don't create the best matchups. This is the one opportunity to put some great matchups on the field, and best of all for the powers-that-be, it ought to create more money for the bowls, the schools and ESPN.

That's my issue. Boise St played their way out of the NC and BCS Bowl last night' date=' and I don't think anyone can argue that at all. But they are still deserving of a much better bowl game than a middling Mountain West team in New Mexico. I'd love to see Boise play Alabama in something like the Capital One Bowl, or Nevada play Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl. As much as I want a playoff, I do love me some college bowl season....but enough of these conference tie-ins for every bowl game that don't create the best matchups. This is the one opportunity to put some great matchups on the field, and best of all for the powers-that-be, it ought to create more money for the bowls, the schools and ESPN.[/quote']

That's all I am saying. If you are Bama and LSU, why should we have to wait five years to put Boise St or Nevada on the schedule. Why can't we do it now in the bowl game. If you say you are the best, go take care of business on the field. Thats what I want to see. The bowl match ups are boring now. They are mostly Power Conference vs. Power Conference and Non AQ vs. Non AQ.

I disagree with this. If you want to be the man, you have to beat the man. It doesn't work the other way around. The onus is on the Boise's of the world to go on the road (like Penn St. and Florida St. used to do) and prove that you're a force. Teams like Bama and LSU prove their worth with games against teams like Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Bama, Arkansas etc.

I disagree with this. If you want to be the man, you have to beat the man. It doesn't work the other way around. The onus is on the Boise's of the world to go on the road (like Penn St. and Florida St. used to do) and prove that you're a force. Teams like Bama and LSU prove their worth with games against teams like Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Bama, Arkansas etc.

I know, I know, Ric Flair did say that, but great champions like Flair took on all challengers. Boise State has beaten Oregon, Oklahoma, TCU, and VT in the past few years. I can't buy that Fresno State, Nevada, and Hawaii are can't stay with some of the programs in the power conferences when they don't really play. The SEC guys "say" they are the best out there and the WAC/MWC guys "say" we are just as good. I say show me. You remember the 92' Sugar Bowl when Alabama play Miami?

I know, I know, Ric Flair did say that, but great champions like Flair took on all challengers. Boise State has beaten Oregon, Oklahoma, TCU, and VT in the past few years. I can't buy that Fresno State, Nevada, and Hawaii are can't stay with some of the programs in the power conferences when they don't really play. The SEC guys "say" they are the best out there and the WAC/MWC guys "say" we are just as good. I say show me. You remember the 92' Sugar Bowl when Alabama play Miami?

The difference between the SEC and the MWC/Whoever is that the SEC proves it on the field. Four straight national champions.

Archived