Ok, Now They're Just Screwing With Boise, Right?

BaltimoreTerp

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5697573

The first BCS standings are out and Boise State isn't No. 1.

In fact, the Broncos aren't among the top two teams who would qualify for the Tostitos BCS National Championship game.

Oklahoma was first and Oregon was second in the standings released Sunday, with Boise State in third place and in need of plenty of help to become the first team from a conference without an automatic Bowl Championship Series bid to play for the BCS title.

:bangwall:

They've been saying all week, "Oh yeah, Boise's definitely going to be #1 in the BCS. They might not stay there, but they'll be at the top to start."

And Ohio State even loses.

AND THEY END UP FRICKIN' THIRD!

What's next? Oklahoma and Oregon lose next week and Auburn jumps them? Are they going to go to the point of a one-loss Alabama jumping them?

Argh! :cussing:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5697573

:bangwall:

They've been saying all week, "Oh yeah, Boise's definitely going to be #1 in the BCS. They might not stay there, but they'll be at the top to start."

And Ohio State even loses.

AND THEY END UP FRICKIN' THIRD!

What's next? Oklahoma and Oregon lose next week and Auburn jumps them? Are they going to go to the point of a one-loss Alabama jumping them?

Argh! :cussing:

You're upset about undefeated BCS schools jumping Boise in the rankings? They aren't that good...They've beaten two mediocre BCS schools and a few glorified high school teams...

You're upset about undefeated BCS schools jumping Boise in the rankings? They aren't that good...They've beaten two mediocre BCS schools and a few glorified high school teams...

Exactly. If a 1 loss BCS school beats them out, then MAYBE you can complain. If anything Auburn and LSU have a major gripe b/c they've played a much tougher schedule and are still behind them.

I'm upset about the lie that is the college football system, and how this is just further proof of it. That a team can do everything in their power to play within the system, and have things outside of their control prevent them from getting to the top.

They play who they can play. All Division I-A teams this season, by the way, which is more than can be said about many of those sitting around them in the BCS standings. The big schools don't have the huevos to play them fair-and-square because they don't HAVE to. Which tells me a lot about why they don't want a playoff since they would have to beat Boise instead of wussing out.

I'm rambling, but its just such an embarrassment.

I'm upset about the lie that is the college football system, and how this is just further proof of it. That a team can do everything in their power to play within the system, and have things outside of their control prevent them from getting to the top.

They play who they can play. All Division I-A teams this season, by the way, which is more than can be said about many of those sitting around them in the BCS standings. The big schools don't have the huevos to play them fair-and-square because they don't HAVE to. Which tells me a lot about why they don't want a playoff since they would have to beat Boise instead of wussing out.

I'm rambling, but its just such an embarrassment.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see a 4 team playoff but we don't have it this year. So, in the system we have they are getting a decent shake. They started out really high in the polls, and as a result are ahead of some teams from BCS conferences that are undefeated. It will be a shame though if they go undefeated again and get left out again.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see a 4 team playoff but we don't have it this year. So, in the system we have they are getting a decent shake. They started out really high in the polls, and as a result are ahead of some teams from BCS conferences that are undefeated. It will be a shame though if they go undefeated again and get left out again.

But that's the point. Why should they automatically go behind teams in BCS conferences when there's no way of knowing that those teams are better?

I can understand frustrations with the system...that's fine. However, the way the system is now, you cannot logically argue that Boise should be ranked ahead of any undefeated BCS team.

Let's take for example the recent three game stretch Alabama played: @ Arkansas, vs. Florida, and then @ South Carolina. Boise has played about three games that tough over the past 5 years, Alabama played them in three consecutive weeks. Now, obviously I'm an Alabama fan so to not be biased let me use a team I despise as an example...

Auburn played a very good Arkansas team this week and now has to play an undefeated LSU team. When has Boise ever played back to back games that are remotely as difficult?

Boise is a good team, I believe they would likely win 8 or 9 games playing a standard SEC schedule, however it is a huge slap in the face to teams like Auburn and LSU that Boise is ranked ahead of them.

I can understand frustrations with the system...that's fine. However, the way the system is now, you cannot logically argue that Boise should be ranked ahead of any undefeated BCS team.

Let's take for example the recent three game stretch Alabama played: @ Arkansas, vs. Florida, and then @ South Carolina. Boise has played about three games that tough over the past 5 years, Alabama played them in three consecutive weeks. Now, obviously I'm an Alabama fan so to not be biased let me use a team I despise as an example...

Auburn played a very good Arkansas team this week and now has to play an undefeated LSU team. When has Boise ever played back to back games that are remotely as difficult?

Boise is a good team, I believe they would likely win 8 or 9 games playing a standard SEC schedule, however it is a huge slap in the face to teams like Auburn and LSU that Boise is ranked ahead of them.

How do you know it's a huge "slap in the face"? There's no way of knowing that since there's no opportunity for the teams to play head-to-head?

And if you are going to do the "in this system..." argument, isn't the judgment of the voters and the computers that they are better all that matters?

But that's the point. Why should they automatically go behind teams in BCS conferences when there's no way of knowing that those teams are better?

Why should they automatically go ahead of some BCS teams just because that's what people thought they should be ranked before we even played one freaking game. If the pollsters didn't make their first vote until a week ago, would Boise be ranked ahead of Auburn, LSU and Michigan State?

Why should they automatically go ahead of some BCS teams just because that's what people thought they should be ranked before we even played one freaking game. If the pollsters didn't make their first vote until a week ago, would Boise be ranked ahead of Auburn, LSU and Michigan State?

Who knows? Because there is no honest way of knowing whether those teams are better.

Who knows? Because there is no honest way of knowing whether those teams are better.

Has there ever been? Has Boise being good somehow made this process go from managable to completely impossible. Why can't pollsters do what they're supposed to do, which is watch the games and make a determination based on everything they've seen and say X team is No.1, Y team is No. 2? I don't understand how Boise being a part of this makes it somehow impossible.

I don't think a playoff will necessarily give you a national champion who has been the best all year. It could be the team who got hot, or got a few lucky breaks. So, if Boise or Oregon or Auburn or whoever wins a tournament it doesn't necessarily mean they were the best team all year.

The fact that Oklahoma, who narrowly defeated heavyweights like Cincinnati, Utah State and Air Force, is #1...despite not being higher than 3rd in any human poll, shows you all you need to know about this "system." The BCS is a joke and Oklahoma is a joke. But like several times over the past decade, I guess it's been pre-ordained that they will play for the championship no matter what happens on the field. Someone associated with that university must be pretty powerful. Why do I think that someday when they pull back the curtain on this BCS thing we're going to see Barry Switzer's fat head?

I am just praying that Boise State wins the national championship over an undefeated Oregon/Oklahoma, and Alabama, Ohio St., etc. all miss out with one loss. When -- or if -- a non-BCS school gets in over a one-loss SEC team or other traditional power, then change will be made.

The BCS messed up last year by putting Boise State against TCU, that year would have been the perfect oppurtunity to put Boise State against like a Florida and see how they did against a bcs quality team. Instead they put two teams with weak scheudules against each others. That was properly the worst thing they could have done.

By doing that the BCS screwed over this year because if Boise would have beaten Florida there would be no discussion whether or not Boise belongs in the elite because they beat an elite team and they return most of their starters this year. If they would have loss to Florida then we can make the Strength of Scheudule arguement and say Boise does not belong. The BCS is basically procrastinating this mess, let Boise in the national championship game or make them play a bcs opponent like a Bama or OSU instead of another unproven team like TCU.

I'm not knocking TCU as they deserve to face an elite team from a bcs conference, but playing two teams that have big question marks is not going to get you an answer.

I want to see how Boise State or TCU plays against Bama/Ohio State/ Oregon/Oklahoma.

The BCS messed up last year by putting Boise State against TCU, that year would have been the perfect oppurtunity to put Boise State against like a Florida and see how they did against a bcs quality team. Instead they put two teams with weak scheudules against each others. That was properly the worst thing they could have done.

You mean like when they beat Oklahoma?

Archived