Orioles,11 others interested in Adrian Beltre

IAmBirdland10

I expect him to hit like he did in Seattle as he ages, and to keep up the stellar defense.

Brooks Robinson kept up his stellar defense late into his career. From all accounts Beltre is an extremely hard worker and takes extreme pride in his defense so I would expect him to be able to do the same.

Yea but as he ages, he could start to get nagging injuries...he could start to get muscle pulls and things like that...These types of things could really hurt his range over time.

I am just saying, for you to sit there and expect him to be a 4-5 win player is extremely unrealistic.

I find it funny that for a guy you want, not only do you expect him to be good but you expect him to be better here than he has ever been on any kind of a consistent basis.

Yet, if its a player you don't want, he is done...no chance of a bounce back, etc....

There is no way you can possibly realistically believe he is going to be better well into his 30s than he was in his prime years.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea but as he ages, he could start to get nagging injuries...he could start to get muscle pulls and things like that...These types of things could really hurt his range over time.

I am just saying, for you to sit there and expect him to be a 4-5 win player is extremely unrealistic.

I find it funny that for a guy you want, not only do you expect him to be good but you expect him to be better here than he has ever been on any kind of a consistent basis.

Yet, if its a player you don't want, he is done...no chance of a bounce back, etc....

There is no way you can possibly realistically believe he is going to be better well into his 30s than he was in his prime years.

Given the alternatives, I'm willing to take the risk. Beltre at 4.0 WAR or even 3.0 WAR is better than most alternatives out there even if we are overpaying. The defense that he'll bring at the hot corner will be worth it.

Given the alternatives, I'm willing to take the risk. Beltre at 4.0 WAR or even 3.5 WAR is better than most alternatives out there even if we are slightly overpaying. The defense that he'll bring at the hot corner will be worth it.

Ok, that's better. This is a take I get more in line with.

This line of thinking would seem to think a 4/68 deal is good. I am a little more pessimistic on him long term than you are, especially in those final 2 years.

I am ok with going after him..he is probably my #1 target over at third but if Reynolds can be very cheaply, then I think he becomes my #1 target because adding Reynolds will allow us to do a lot more with the team..Adding Beltre for 17 million will really hurt other moves we could make IMO..the payroll just isn't going to go as high as you hope it will.

The "its not your money" argument is as bad as it gets.

If the Orioles had infinite resources, we wouldn't care..but they don't and Beltre isn't the type of player that you do what it takes to get him here.

Neither was Albert Belle, who coincidentally signed a new contract entering his aged 32 season. And Beltre is more well rounded with his defense and bat. Beltre fits everything the O's need this offseason AND is the Orioles best bet to fit the mold. That is a: RH power bat, 3B; defense wizard; Middle Order bat (5th in the lineup preferably, after Beltran:) and more...

Boy, I just really can't get excited about Beltre. He has had career years in contract years TWICE. Thats good enough to scare me away, we don't need to take the risk of a huge contract that will suck in 2 years time. Pass.

Actually, Beltre had career years 2 times out of 3. Want to more about your theory, which IMO is absolutely false?

Both of AB's career years were not played in Safeco field, which is one of the best places to be a pitcher verses RH hitters in MLB.

AB's last year in Seattle was a contract year. Boston is his 3rd team. So 2 out of 3 walk years is not a way to look at this defensive 3B, who hits RH with power:

In 2010, Adrian Beltre (AB) had the following (home/away) OPS splits:

.881/953

In 2008 (a non-walk year and his last healthy year @ Safeco):

.703/862

To continue with Beltre's Safeco verses other ballparks his home/away OPS splits as a Mariner:

2005 .694/.736

2006 .778/.805

2007 .745/.858

2008 .703/862

2009 .646/.717

Who really knows....worst case, IMO, the O's get a .750 OPS average with good....ending in decent defense (RH batter w/power as well).

I'd say AB averages around an .800 OPS over 4 years and plays good defense 3B.....something which the Orioles desperately need. Unless this guy has character issues, the O's should be willing to do 4 years $60M, with valuable and challenging incentives.

4/68 won't get Beltre to Baltimore,maybe LA but it will take 5/100 for Beltre to live in Baltimore. I'm not sure he would come here for any amount of money,and to be quite frank about it I can't say I blame him.

I don't buy this at all. He actually chose to go to Seattle - a horrible hitters park - over other, more successful organizations. If the O's offer him the best contract by a reasonable margin, he'll be happy to come to one of the most beautiful parks in the majors and play for a team stacked with young talent and a coach who's a proven winner.

Neither was Albert Belle, who coincidentally signed a new contract entering his aged 32 season. And Beltre is more well rounded with his defense and bat. Beltre fits everything the O's need this offseason AND is the Orioles best bet to fit the mold. That is a: RH power bat, 3B; defense wizard; Middle Order bat (5th in the lineup preferably, after Beltran:) and more...

First of all, Beltre couldn't hold Belle's jock when it came to offense.

Secondly, Beltre isn't a true MOO bat. He doesn't have the plate discipline/OBP to be one..Plus, his power isn't that good...he is more of a #6 hitter.

Maybe they are moving Beltre to 1ST.

They were mention along with the O's on 105.7

With all due respect, the radio sports jockeys don't know much more than we do here at the Hangout. But because they have a voice and a platform, they can spread these kind of insane ideas. Beltre is a stellar third baseman, why in the world would he agree to change positions to go play for the Gnats????

With all due respect, the radio sports jockeys don't know much more than we do here at the Hangout. But because they have a voice and a platform, they can spread these kind of insane ideas. Beltre is a stellar third baseman, why in the world would he agree to change positions to go play for the Gnats????

I think the Hangouters know more then the radio jocks.:laughlol:I think the A's are in the mix for Belttre,more so then the Nat's.

Archived