Orioles,11 others interested in Adrian Beltre

IAmBirdland10

From MLBTradeRumors:

he market for free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre is hot, tweets SI's Jon Heyman, and the Orioles "seem very interested." Heyman tweets that a dozen teams are interested in the Scott Boras client. He believes Beltre could be the first star to go off the board, but I'd still be surprised to see him sign before December.

In addition to the contract, the Orioles would have to surrender their second-round pick to sign Beltre. There is recent precedent for that; they gave their second-round pick to the Braves a year ago to sign Mike Gonzalez.

Jon Heyman's Tweet:

#orioles seem very interested in beltre. have had trouble luring free agents in recent years. we'll see.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beltre represents an obvious target at a position of need and is one of the few players that it would be ok to lose the second round pick for.

I just am not sure we can get Beltre for a contract that makes sense for us.

What contract offer should we make? Is he worth 15 million per season? Is he worth 17?

What about JTrea's 4/68? Would you do this? I would only be concerned that it would prevent us from making other moves where we could take on salary.

What contract offer should we make? Is he worth 15 million per season? Is he worth 17?

What about JTrea's 4/68? Would you do this? I would only be concerned that it would prevent us from making other moves where we could take on salary.

4/60 is the absolute max I would go.

I think that is overpaying 2-4 million a year. Giving him a really dumb contract plus giving Boston 2 picks would really sting.

That's great. We should definitely be in on him. He makes a ton of sense and should be a solid investment.

With all of these suitors, he may end up being priced out of a reasonable range or he may choose a comparable deal with a contender, but we should be making a serious effort.

I've maintained that I'm comfortable going 4/60, but if the Orioles can sign him on a 4/68 deal I won't complain.

He was worth the contract he got in Seattle.

Well, I guess that goes by opinion.In my opinion, I think he had one good year in LA and that was his contract year.The other years in LA, he had Juan Uribe type years.In Seattle, he had pretty decent years until his contract year.He signs with Boston for 1 year and has a great year.It is just my opinion, but he is a contract year player.The other years, your just gonna get average production out of him.Hell, I would rather give Huff 6 or 7 mil less and play him at 3B and get the same production.

Well, I guess that goes by opinion.In my opinion, I think he had one good year in LA and that was his contract year.The other years in LA, he had Juan Uribe type years.In Seattle, he had pretty decent years until his contract year.He signs with Boston for 1 year and has a great year.It is just my opinion, but he is a contract year player.The other years, your just gonna get average production out of him.Hell, I would rather give Huff 6 or 7 mil less and play him at 3B and get the same production.

Aubrey Huff would have negative value if you played him full time at 3B.

You'd have to send 1mil of those 6 or 7 million my way for me to even watch him.

Beltre represents an obvious target at a position of need and is one of the few players that it would be ok to lose the second round pick for.

I just am not sure we can get Beltre for a contract that makes sense for us.

You can say this same exact comment about just about every big name free agent. If the Orioles don't start overspending on SOMEBODY, then we will never get ANYBODY to come here.

I understand your logic and agree that's its quite possible we get burned by the contract, but we have to try something!

Good. Now the O's can say that made a positive run at some higher priced free agents. The price for the free agents we wanted were a little out of the price range we wanted to pay. We are still going after the big bat but we don't want to break the bank on one free agent. I wonder how long we get linked with VMart and Beltre. I guess till they sign elsewhere. :laughlol: I have optimism on a rainy day.

Archived