Source: Orioles Close To Signing Kevin Gregg To Two Year Deal

Brendan25

Yes, so what? That doesn't impact my conclusion at all.
My point is, it is necessary to improve the bullpen. It will require over paying no matter what FA RP we sign. Gregg is a pretty good RP who will help us, but he is not worth 4-5 M per. But we can't sign him for less and signing someone cheaper is a biger risk in terms of getting what you need. I'd rather risk losing the extra 2 M I'm paying Gregg, than blowing 20M on Beltre. When a special high end FA like Tbag was, comes along, then you risk overpaying by 20M+.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My point is, it is necessary to improve the bullpen. It will require over paying no matter what FA RP we sign. Gregg is a pretty good RP who will help us, but he is not worth 4-5 M per. But we can't sign him for less and signing someone cheaper is a biger risk in terms of getting what you need. I'd rather risk losing the extra 2 M I'm paying Gregg, than blowing 20M on Beltre. When a special high end FA like Tbag was, comes along, then you risk overpaying by 20M+.

Well, the bullpen specifically is a whole different issue - why sign Mike Gonzalez and Kevin Gregg for 2/12 apiece when we can get Koji for 1/3?

Well, the bullpen specifically is a whole different issue - why sign Mike Gonzalez and Kevin Gregg for 2/12 apiece when we can get Koji for 1/3?

Koji is $3M per year with incetives that could make each year worth about $5.75M. Koji has an injury history and is less proven on the ML level. I think Gregg is a qualitu addition as is Koji.

How many people that are against this signing screamed about the Orioles not offering arbitration to Koji based on two months of quality work? Had he gone to arbitration, Koji was likely to get in the neighborhood of $6-$7mm. Would the people on this board be in favor of paying $6-$7mm for a pitcher who had two great months and a history of being out of shape and injured?

If there is one thing I am confident in it is that AM is looking to get the best deal he can. The problem is there is a ton of demand for relievers right now and AM knows he needs a quality bullpen to help his young starters. Yes, money is often wasted on relievers, but he still has to try to sign the guys that he thinks are most likely to give him the performance he desires.

How many people that are against this signing screamed about the Orioles not offering arbitration to Koji based on two months of quality work? Had he gone to arbitration, Koji was likely to get in the neighborhood of $6-$7mm. Would the people on this board be in favor of paying $6-$7mm for a pitcher who had two great months and a history of being out of shape and injured?

If there is one thing I am confident in it is that AM is looking to get the best deal he can. The problem is there is a ton of demand for relievers right now and AM knows he needs a quality bullpen to help his young starters. Yes, money is often wasted on relievers, but he still has to try to sign the guys that he thinks are most likely to give him the performance he desires.

1) Koji is better.

2) Draft pick potential.

No it's not. Gonzo and Gregg are good RP's, if you want them you have to overpay for them like any other FA. If you want Dunn you have to pay him at least 5/70, if you want Beltre, 5/100, Pujols, 10/350M, D.Lee 3/30M, LaRoche 2/20M. None of them are worth that(except maybe Pujols) but if the O's need them that's what they cost.

It is not so much the deal as the quality. Koji when healthy is a superior pitcher. Gregg is not.

The Orioles' best chance to contend is with the chance that some high-upside players will stay healthy and perform at their peak. Consistent mediocrity isn't going to get them anywhere.

Gregg is consistent mediocrity.

Not everyone.

No it's not. Gonzo and Gregg are good RP's, if you want them you have to overpay for them like any other FA. If you want Dunn you have to pay him at least 5/70, if you want Beltre, 5/100, Pujols, 10/350M, D.Lee 3/30M, LaRoche 2/20M. None of them are worth that(except maybe Pujols) but if the O's need them that's what they cost.

Let me put it another way, the bullpen is a great place to find value, so it's even dumber than usual to pay an Orioles premium for mediocre free agents.

My question is why they didn't acquire someone like Kawakami and some salary considerations for a low-level prospect and move him to the pen? A 5.00, 5.50 ERA starter is probably going to be a better reliever than Matt Albers.

Let me put it another way, the bullpen is a great place to find value, so it's even dumber than usual to pay an Orioles premium for mediocre free agents.

Right. For an organization looking to win the "value" game where they can, it seems silly to end-up paying Gonzo/Gregg/Koji a combined $14-17 million per year.

My question is why they didn't acquire someone like Kawakami and some salary considerations for a low-level prospect and move him to the pen? A 5.00, 5.50 ERA starter is probably going to be a better reliever than Matt Albers.

This. I also would have advocated looking into other failed starters, like the A's are doing bringing back Harden.

Why didn't Boston do this instead of signing Albers?

Archived