Source: Orioles Close To Signing Kevin Gregg To Two Year Deal

Brendan25

Beltre has produced his whole career, so why would the next 5 be any diffrent? He's not eating Geritol as of yet.

It still remains to be seen whether Reynolds can bounce back from a .198 , so why should I have to defend myself? If this man strikes out 200 times year, and you guys for some reason or another, feel he's the next Babe Ruth, then so be it. I feel it was a cheap alternative to actually adding an impact hitter, and with his bulking home run totals, MacPhail feels that this is all the O's fans will see. Well I might stick to those statistics that have been gauging players for 100 years, opposed to the new testament stats that people live and die by now, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see a batting average of .198, or the strikeout total of 200 for 3 years running, to see that there was a better option out there. Beltre was worth overpaying for, opposed to trading for a player that will be on our next trade deadline list within 2 years

This is flat out incorrect, if you're talking offense.

Have you even looked at Beltre's numbers?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beltre has produced his whole career,

Is that now? You may want to go back and look at his numbers. Beltre has OPS+ under 100 for 6 of his 13 seasons. He was average for three more.

It still remains to be seen whether Reynolds can bounce back from a .198 , so why should I have to defend myself? If this man strikes out 200 times year, and you guys for some reason or another, feel he's the next Babe Ruth, then so be it. I feel it was a cheap alternative to actually adding an impact hitter, and with his bulking home run totals, MacPhail feels that this is all the O's fans will see. Well I might stick to those statistics that have been gauging players for 100 years, opposed to the new testament stats that people live and die by now, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see a batting average of .198, or the strikeout total of 200 for 3 years running, to see that there was a better option out there. Beltre was worth overpaying for, opposed to trading for a player that will be on our next trade deadline list within 2 years

You are so focused on the batting average, that you let everything else pass you by. You don't have to see the new found statistics. The last two seasons he has a combined 76 HR and 187 RBI and 159 BB.

Beltre has produced his whole career, so why would the next 5 be any diffrent? He's not eating Geritol as of yet.

Again what the heck are you talking about??? Beltre has only had 2 good years, in 04 and in 2010, both contract years for him. His seattle years were awful and the mariners were trying to trade him for a couple of years. No one would trade for him because of his contract.

Between Beltre and Reynolds, I personally am probably in the minority, but I'd take Reynolds over Beltre assuming all else is equal, and in actuality, until 2010, most would have said Reynolds was the superior player. Suddenly, Beltre has a good season with fantastic hitters protecting him and he is praised around here like the man is an all star year in and year out.

He's only ever lost 7 games once in his career, when he lost 8 in 2008. But he also WON 7 games that year... Gregg isn't amazing, but he's not nearly as bad as you make him out to be.

You really are "that guy". He's averaged 6 and 2/3rds losses per year the last 3 years - hence the comment that he's lost 7 games a year. And I don't want my closer to get 7 wins. That usually means he's blown a bunch of games and was simply lucky his team came through for him - not visa versa.

Might be just a rehash from yesterday.

I hope it is not 2/$12M, because Gonzalez is making $6M this year, and Koji could earn $6M this year if the incentives in his contract were reached. We could be looking at upwards of $18M spent on three relievers in 2011 and

$12M on two relievers in 2012. Relievers are volitile and I would rather see that money thrown at an impact bat (like Dunn) then to be spent on relievers with questionable injury and performance histories.

I want to add this, the Orioles should have the money to both add bats and pitching, but I think there is enough internal pitching options to fill a bullpen slot or two. The Orioles clearly worry about the 8th and 9th innings by making these moves. Gregg, Koji, and Gonzalez have all closed. All of the really good teams win games following a 7th inning lead, I think the Orioles are in the same boat.

Pardon me for not flying through 13 pages of posts (on my end) but would we lose a pick with this signing? I am less worried about the financial costs than others on here but I do perk up when there is a losss of a draft pick involved.

Pardon me for not flying through 13 pages of posts (on my end) but would we lose a pick with this signing? I am less worried about the financial costs than others on here but I do perk up when there is a losss of a draft pick involved.

Nope. Gregg is a type "B" free agent, so Toronto would get a supplemental pick.

I can summarize for ya Moscow!

Everybody always claims the Orioles have to overspend to attract any free agents, but whenever the Orioles DO try to overspend, over half the board erupts that we are offering too much money and picks out everything bad about the potential player. I think that about covers it.

I can summarize for ya Moscow!

Everybody always claims the Orioles have to overspend to attract any free agents, but whenever the Orioles DO try to overspend, half the board erupts that we are offering too much money and picks out everything bad about the potential player. I think that about covers it.

Indeed.

Might I suggest a slight modification to read "more than half the board"....

:);)

If it's a 2 year deal at 6 million per, I think it's definitely overpaying. I don't straight up think Gregg is a bad pitcher like SG seems to imply.

I mean, we're talking about an organization that once gave Jay Payton a 2/10 contract. He can't be that worthless.

My official stance on this signing is "meh".

Archived