Source: Orioles Close To Signing Kevin Gregg To Two Year Deal

Brendan25

1. Beltre is far from a sure thing to produce.

2. Reynolds is nowhere near the same at Atkins.

(1.) Remains to be seen

(2.) Remains to be seen

Which response do I need to back up? I thought I did with Thome's age , Reimold's last season results, and needing more time in the minors. I'm assuming that was the response you're referring to, or do I need to give each player's lifetime stats for it to be absorbed? LOL

That is the one. I know you have a reading comprehension problem so I re-posted it here for your ease.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not being patient at the plate? You just proved that you know nothing about baseball, reynolds is one of the best players in the mlb in taking pitches. He was hurt most of the year last year and still hit 32 homers. What do you want mcphail to do. sign werth to a 126 mil dollar contract. sorry thats dumb with the money. You want him to trade our best prospects for fielder or gonzalez before he went to boston??? This team doesnt have the depth in the minor leagues to do that. I dont want to trade britton or arrieta. You dont trade young good pitching for a player that has a one year left in his contract and then will spilt.

These things are true

Kind of a weird discussion going on. Posters say all the time on here that the O's have to overpay to attract talent. Well Gregg has only one reason to want to play for the O's - money. So if it is 4 or 5 or 6M per year for two years, what the difference really? Yes it is overpaying, but how else are the O's going to get a decent close/setup man without trading away a bunch of guys they don't want to trade and can't afford to trade.

If Gregg gets 37 save opportunties his history says he will save between 30-32 for them. That is some far between ok and very good. He is probably going to have an ERA slightly under 4.00 and he is going to strikeout a few less the one an innings. All in all that is worth attracting for an improving team like the O's.

Truth be told if Koji pitches like he did in the 2nd half Buck will have him closing because he is more effective. He doesn't walk hardly anyone and his WHIP was under 1.00. That is hard to beat. This will play out on the field but MacPhail seems to be trying to give Buck a lot of depth is several key positions including closer. We already know that Buck's answer to any player that asks will be wins are more important then saves. How does anyone argue with that?

As far as the 1B. The Sun says the O's are talking to both Lee and LaRoche. Lee wants one year and LaRoche wants two years. The Nationals sound like they are going to get one of them and the O's have a decent chance at the other. MacPhail is no doubt trying to keep the salary as low as possible while still being fair in order to sign one. It can't go on much longer. Yes, I would like to see in done also.

If Thome is signed, they can figure it out in ST. The righty half of a DH platoon probably plays about every third day, and just isn't that tough to fill at least adequately. If Reimold really can't handle it--though I doubt that--then give Snyder a shot or pick one up somewhere else. The scrap heap is full of RH hitters who can OPS .800 as part of a DH platoon.

You are talking about probably 250 PA over a full season.

Oscar Salazar. Or Harry Boychick.

Not being patient at the plate? You just proved that you know nothing about baseball, reynolds is one of the best players in the mlb in taking pitches. He was hurt most of the year last year and still hit 32 homers. What do you want mcphail to do. sign werth to a 126 mil dollar contract. sorry thats dumb with the money. You want him to trade our best prospects for fielder or gonzalez before he went to boston??? This team doesnt have the depth in the minor leagues to do that. I dont want to trade britton or arrieta. You dont trade young good pitching for a player that has a one year left in his contract and then will spilt.

Not that I want to the one to Defend him, but Reynolds is a statistical anomaly.

You can paint him with whatever brush you want to, with the exception of hitting for a great avg. (even though it's still too early to say he could never do it). He has a lot of walks, sees a lot of pitches, hits a lot of HR, but also strikes out a ton. So for one to look at him and not consider him to be patient could be justified by the amount of strike outs. On one hand patient hitters take the pitches and get the walks (like he does), but on the other hand, I (who likes to think I do know about Baseball) would not equate a patient hitter with someone who strikes out that much. But as I said in another post if he puts up the power numbers I think he could, I don't care how he makes his outs.

Not that I want to the one to Defend him, but Reynolds is a statistical anomaly.

You can paint him with whatever brush you want to, with the exception of hitting for a great avg. (even though it's still too early to say he could never do it). He has a lot of walks, sees a lot of pitches, hits a lot of HR, but also strikes out a ton. So for one to look at him and not consider him to be patient could be justified by the amount of strike outs. On one hand patient hitters take the pitches and get the walks (like he does), but on the other hand, I (who likes to think I do know about Baseball) would not equate a patient hitter with someone who strikes out that much. But as I said in another post if he puts up the power numbers I think he could, I don't care how he makes his outs.

He often takes strike three, annoyingly enough.

If I remember correctly, he is amongst the league leaders in pitches seen per at bat.

So is this official yet?

Roch says:

The Orioles want to add at least one more reliever. It could still be Kevin Gregg, but the club isn't on the verge of signing him, despite a published report that has stirred up plenty of fans.

When asked if an announcement was forthcoming, the official replied, "Not that I'm aware of." And he would know.

The Orioles have an offer on the table, but it doesn't appear that they've increased it or are ready to schedule a physical and give him a choice of uniform numbers. And Gregg doesn't appear to be in a big hurry to sign.

Kind of a weird discussion going on. Posters say all the time on here that the O's have to overpay to attract talent. Well Gregg has only one reason to want to play for the O's - money. So if it is 4 or 5 or 6M per year for two years, what the difference really? Yes it is overpaying, but how else are the O's going to get a decent close/setup man without trading away a bunch of guys they don't want to trade and can't afford to trade.

If Gregg gets 37 save opportunties his history says he will save between 30-32 for them. That is some far between ok and very good. He is probably going to have an ERA slightly under 4.00 and he is going to strikeout a few less the one an innings. All in all that is worth attracting for an improving team like the O's.

Truth be told if Koji pitches like he did in the 2nd half Buck will have him closing because he is more effective. He doesn't walk hardly anyone and his WHIP was under 1.00. That is hard to beat. This will play out on the field but MacPhail seems to be trying to give Buck a lot of depth is several key positions including closer. We already know that Buck's answer to any player that asks will be wins are more important then saves. How does anyone argue with that?

As far as the 1B. The Sun says the O's are talking to both Lee and LaRoche. Lee wants one year and LaRoche wants two years. The Nationals sound like they are going to get one of them and the O's have a decent chance at the other. MacPhail is no doubt trying to keep the salary as low as possible while still being fair in order to sign one. It can't go on much longer. Yes, I would like to see in done also.

Gregg isn't really talent though..at least not that you overpay for.

Not that I doubt you, but do you have the link?

Lee for one year? Go get him.

EDIT: Never mind.

That is the one. I know you have a reading comprehension problem so I re-posted it here for your ease.

Beltre has produced his whole career, so why would the next 5 be any diffrent? He's not eating Geritol as of yet.

It still remains to be seen whether Reynolds can bounce back from a .198 , so why should I have to defend myself? If this man strikes out 200 times year, and you guys for some reason or another, feel he's the next Babe Ruth, then so be it. I feel it was a cheap alternative to actually adding an impact hitter, and with his bulking home run totals, MacPhail feels that this is all the O's fans will see. Well I might stick to those statistics that have been gauging players for 100 years, opposed to the new testament stats that people live and die by now, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see a batting average of .198, or the strikeout total of 200 for 3 years running, to see that there was a better option out there. Beltre was worth overpaying for, opposed to trading for a player that will be on our next trade deadline list within 2 years

Beltre has produced his whole career, so why would the next 5 be any diffrent? He's not eating Geritol as of yet.

It still remains to be seen whether Reynolds can bounce back from a .198 , so why should I have to defend myself? If this man strikes out 200 times year, and you guys for some reason or another, feel he's the next Babe Ruth, then so be it. I feel it was a cheap alternative to actually adding an impact hitter, and with his bulking home run totals, MacPhail feels that this is all the O's fans will see. Well I might stick to those statistics that have been gauging players for 100 years, opposed to the new testament stats that people live and die by now, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see a batting average of .198, or the strikeout total of 200 for 3 years running, to see that there was a better option out there. Beltre was worth overpaying for, opposed to trading for a player that will be on our next trade deadline list within 2 years

I actually like Beltre, and I think he could still be a 3B target (Reynolds moving to first) but I 'd love to see some indication that he actually would sign in Baltimore.

Archived