Does anyone really have confidence in Matusz?

LookitsPuck

...even against lefties, I still have trepidation every time he comes in during a close game. It seems every time he's falling behind counts or going 3-2 to hitters. The New York appearance was very much representative of his year.

On the year, Matusz has a 5.1 BB/9. This is the highest of his career.

Unfortunately Buck is not treating Matusz as a true LOOGY this year. Against righties:

275/423/425 - 848 OPS

He's walked 10 righties in 53 plate appearances. Only 7 strikeouts.

As a pure LOOGY? 194/256/278 - 534 OPS. Only 2 walks and 13 strikeouts. But he's only had 39 plate appearances against actual lefties.

I wonder if Buck finally stops using Matusz much against righties unless the game is already out of hand.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps the one thing this board can agree upon is that no, we do not have confidence in Brian Matusz (at least vs RHB). That said, Buck seems to have adjusted. He uses Matusz against RHB but only in low pressure long relief situations or in a pressure situation once he has already gotten the first couple of outs. I am OK with this but also curious to see what Wesley Wright can do.

...even against lefties, I still have trepidation every time he comes in during a close game. It seems every time he's falling behind counts or going 3-2 to hitters. The New York appearance was very much representative of his year.

Unfortunately Buck is not treating Matusz as a true LOOGY this year. Against righties:

275/423/425 - 848 OPS

As a pure LOOGY? 194/256/278 - 534 OPS. Only 2 walks and 13 strikeouts. But he's only had 39 plate appearances against actual lefties.

I wonder if Buck finally stops using Matusz much against righties unless the game is already out of hand.

Aren't most of his stats against RHP from garbage time or when a starter was pulled early?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I said in the game thread tonight, Brian is so frustrating because he has lock down innings like tonight. And then next time he gives up hits and walks and inherited runners and leads. He's a tease! He's the worst kind of player for the club to have! Except when he's great. :angryfire: Can't trade him because he's worth nothing. Can't keep him because he's too expensive. I'll be so glad to see him gone!

I wonder where the trepidation comes from re: not having faith in Matusz against lefties while being aware of his very good numbers against them.

Throws a lot of pitches and gets in bad counts. Trepidation is from him being used against righties...but also knowing he flirts with disaster, too.

Josh Hamilton, David Ortiz and Ryan Howard have all the confidence in the world in Brian Matusz.

I agree... but they are the stars of yesteryear. Anyone can get them out these days. The real question is can Matusz get out:

Jose Reyes (3 for 8)

Brett Gardner (2 for 19)

Brock Holt (1 for 3)

When either Matusz or Hunter come into a game with runners on base, I assume all those runners on base will almost automatically score. Little confidence. I also think Buck keeps leaving starters in too long, but thats another story.

When either Matusz or Hunter come into a game with runners on base, I assume all those runners on base will almost automatically score. Little confidence. I also think Buck keeps leaving starters in too long, but thats another story.

Really??? You can compare Hunter with Matusz?

275/423/425 - 848 OPS

Not much trust in Matusz.

His walk rate is very surprising. It seems like his command comes and goes this year. Still, he has his good games and is still very tough on lefties.

I think what Buck likes to do is to challenge his pitchers in spots out of their comfort zone early in the year. If they respond to the challenge, they get more opportunities, and if they don't, he starts limiting their roles to where they can be successful. I think you'll see Matusz's exposure to RHB go down as the season progresses, since it's apparent that he is still struggling against them.

275/423/425 - 848 OPS

Yep confidant that he can throw gas on any fire he comes in to try and put out especially if he faces RH hitters.;)

Archived