O's have made final offer to vlad

Guest Hayden2004

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go 1/6 to get the deal done. Not a bad deal for a guy that hit over .300 with 29 dingers last year. This also player who will bring at least some fans to the ballpark and that has to be considered. I don't see any of the other free agent signings doing that alone.

True, I hear Vladdy is a mean shortstop. Supposedly great at second and first as well.

Trea is referring to the depth of our lineup...If Roberts or Hardy go down...you have to supplement Izturis...but I would much rather have Izturis and Vlad in the lineup than Izturis and Pie/Reimold. Reimold would likely get playing time, regardless, if Lee were to get injured...unless they plan on switching Reynolds to 1st and calling up Bell.

True, I hear Vladdy is a mean shortstop. Supposedly great at second and first as well.

Offensive depth. The drop in offense due to Izzy or from Pie playing full time in LF over Scott and having somebody like Snyder or Bell DH is going to have to picked up somewhere...

But it seems the Orioles do know what offensive depth is:

http://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN/status/31384399324909569

Interesting...I imagine one of them is probably Duchscherer, the others might be trade possibilities in the event that Vlad accepts the deal.

http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/archives/2011/01/talking_some_vlad.html

If they do get Vlad, what the organization is leaning toward doing is hanging on to everyone and let them battle it out this spring. So those of you who were asking about signing Guerrero and dangling Pie, Reimold or Scott for a starting pitcher can forget that notion, at least for right now. Pie is coming off an injury that forced him to miss most of last season and Reimold had a disastrous 2010 campaign. At this point, competition would be a welcome thing.

As it should be. Go into ST with everybody. Injuries will happen, not just to the Orioles but to other teams as well...

If Vlad won't take 4.5-5 million, then he probably doesn't really want to play here, in which case, he can go somewhere else. He's unlikely to repeat his 2010 performance and the club would be foolish to offer him more, especially if those millions would take away at all from the amount we can spend in the draft or getting other things that we need.

Vlad is a decent fit for the Orioles lineup, but we have other options. If we did not already have a DH and a plan (however flawed) for LF, I would want the Orioles to overpay for him, but with the team we currently have there's no need to do that.

They won't announce it until it is final. They got burned years ago on announcing a reliever (I can't remember his name). they announced his signing and he failed the physical. Despite the physical contingency, they were found liable for part of the contract since they had announced it.

That is why they rebut these signings until the bitter end.

Xavier Hernandez is who you're thinking of. That was during the Frank Wren era.

Archived