MacPhail and Buck on State of the O's

Frobby

Are you this dumb in person or do you just do this as some schtick on here?

Pretty clear that I am talking about the draft(since that was what the original statement mentioned), international talent and just building a deeper system.

Its fine to look for the bargains that he did this offseason..again, something I was very clear about(even you should have been able to pick that up).

What isn't good is to have nothing behind these guys, both in the short term and long term.

And to make the statement that he likes to draft pitching because he can get hitting elsewhere is bs. You have to have balance and that balance can't just come from getting bargains in trades and FA.

In other words this is your usual schtick, carping.:rolleyestf:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you know that Reimold, Bell, Schoop, Townsend, Mahoney, Avery, Snyder, Angle will not be major league player? If that is true how about letting us all know what tomorrows lottery number are.

Your expectations for this organization and the players we have are pathetically low. The guys you just named, for the most part, are barely even mentioned in deep systems.

In our system, you rely on them..that's the difference.

Blah blah blah blah blah. :angryfire:

When someone tells you it is or is not about pitching, it's, as always, about run differential, and the understanding that there are many ways to build a winner.

MacPhail: "In the event we were fortunate enough to acquire" him, it's likely Luke Scott would move to left field on a full-time basis.

This is from the Baltimore Sun

And I wanted to get everyone's feedback on here about this quote. Do you feel AM is confident about where the Vlad negotiations are going? Judging from his response here?

Just about everybody believes it's about pitching these days, but they aren't correct.

It's a common cliche.

It's about pitching when you get to the playoffs, but to get there, you need a stellar offense as well if not more, especially with a young rotation that is still taking some lumps. Pitchers don't score runs in the AL.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Philly miss the playoffs because they took such a hit on offense, despite that rotation.

This is from the Baltimore Sun

And I wanted to get everyone's feedback on here about this quote. Do you feel AM is confident about where the Vlad negotiations are going? Judging from his response here?

I think he is just saying what the plan is.

But let's look at this logically. If you are the Orioles and you have put an offer on the table that other DH's have gotten this offseason and you are basically the only team that can promise Vlad 500+ at bats, wouldn't you feel confident about getting the player?

Just about everybody believes it's about pitching these days, but they aren't correct.

It's a common cliche.

It's about pitching when you get to the playoffs, but to get there, you need a stellar offense as well if not more. Pitchers don't score runs in the AL.

How many times does this have to be proven to you to show you that you are wrong?

I do agree that we need much better balance though.

I think he is just saying what the plan is.

But let's look at this logically. If you are the Orioles and you have put an offer on the table that other DH's have gotten this offseason and you are basically the only team that can promise Vlad 500+ at bats, wouldn't you feel confident about getting the player?

That is the answer I was looking for.

Because I have never heard AM speak so openly about a potential free agent signing. The Luke Scott part of it tells me he is confident about landing Vlad.

It's a common cliche.

It's about pitching when you get to the playoffs, but to get there, you need a stellar offense as well if not more, especially with a young rotation that is still taking some lumps. Pitchers don't score runs in the AL.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Philly miss the playoffs because they took such a hit on offense, despite that rotation.

It's about outscoring the opposition. End of story.

The Phils didn't take much of a hit to their offense. They simply lost an expensive, premium, guaranteed, no-risk, Trea-endorsed player. Chances are good that their run differential will be better adding Domonic Brown and Lee, while losing Werth.

Really? We have more talent, I do agree with that.

But we are still the team in all of MLB that is further away from contention than anyone else. When I see comments like that, it just tells me that people have no expectations for this team and they are happy with slow, incremental improvement..even if the other teams in the division are lapping us.

He hasn't made a dent in that at all.

Toronto is the one who has made huge strides and they did in way less time than AM..who still has very little in terms of a long term plan of how to make a true dent in this division..although I place a lot of blame on PA for that as well.

I am going to call BS. This team had the best record in the division for the last two months of last season. They have significantly improved their defense. They have significantly improved their offense. The pitching has another year of experience. They have a top flight manager and I think a better coaching staff. Obviously the O's don't stack up against Boston if Boston is not racked by injuries like last year. However the gap to the others has been closed considerably. This team has a real chance to make some noise. Probably falling short but with a couple positive surprises who knows.

As to your other long term concerns. The O's are loaded with homegrown pitching talent. This pipeline has to be continued. It is the basis for AM's long term plan. As these pitchers gain service time some of them will be traded for high level prospects if there are similar guys ready to take over. In order for this to work you have to draft well. The last couple drafts are causes for some concern. The O's need a bunch of these guys to show up this year.

I am going to call BS. This team had the best record in the division for the last two months of last season. They have significantly improved their defense. They have significantly improved their offense. The pitching has another year of experience. They have a top flight manager and I think a better coaching staff. Obviously the O's don't stack up against Boston if Boston is not racked by injuries like last year. However the gap to the others has been closed considerably. This team has a real chance to make some noise. Probably falling short but with a couple positive surprises who knows.

As to your other long term concerns. The O's are loaded with homegrown pitching talent. This pipeline has to be continued. It is the basis for AM's long term plan. As these pitchers gain service time some of them will be traded for high level prospects if there are similar guys ready to take over. In order for this to work you have to draft well. The last couple drafts are causes for some concern. The O's need a bunch of these guys to show up this year.

You know you're both at least somewhat right. The O's have considerably improved their position this offseason, and they're in a vastly better place than they were at, say, the All Star break last year.

But they've also not shown they're capable of scouting, acquiring, and developing young players nearly as successfully as their divisional competition. If they can't do that the next year or two will be a high water mark, probably short of even a playoff appearance.

Wow....and I thought cindy was a lollipopper.

MLBNetworkRadio MLB Network Radio

Andy MacPhail, #Orioles President of Baseball Operations joins Hot Stove w/ Grant and Mel at 1:35 PM ET/10:35 AM PT

Anyone near an XM radio?

I'll be listening, but I imagine it's not going to be anything new...

Archived