O's in the lead for Duchscherer

Guest Hayden2004

I'm fine with Duch if they sign him. But does anyone think that the O's want to stay away from Millwood partly because of perception. He's a horse, had some good stretches and we know he's healthy. Which no other option can claim for sure. I think they just want to clear themselves from a bad reminder of last year. I think he is best left out there, but I understand their thinking if they don't think there is a slam dunk difference. Anyone agree? Or do I stand alone.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm fine with Duch if they sign him. But does anyone think that the O's want to stay away from Millwood partly because of perception. He's a horse, had some good stretches and we know he's healthy. Which no other option can claim for sure. I think they just want to clear themselves from a bad reminder of last year. I think he is best left out there, but I understand their thinking if they don't think there is a slam dunk difference. Anyone agree? Or do I stand alone.

They haven't closed the door on Millwood and if they don't sign Duch then Millwood probably would be their next option.

Don't agree with your reasoning on Millwood. I think their interest in him has been lukewarm, at most, simply because they can do better....whether that be with a FA, trade, or simply by going with what they have.

Guest Hayden2004

Britt_Ghiroli Brittany Ghiroli

Not sure what the #Nationals have offered, but they did present an opp for Duchscherer to be in the rotation, ML source tells @washingnats

What's in his pitching repetoir/arsenal? I can't recall.

Primarily a Koji-like FB (sits 86), a biiiiiiiiiig slow cure (sits around 70) and what I believe is a cutter (sits around 82) that he uses mostly against righties.

He also has a show-me slider and change, but has relied on them less and less as the years have gone on.

He won't blow you away with velocity but has great command, good movement and an assortment of speeds/angles.

I disagree. I think the problem with Millwood is that he pretty much has to either be cut or go into the starting rotation. They would much rather have a guy who will COMPETE for a starting rotation spot, but if he doesn't get it, he could start in Norfolk or be a long man in Baltimore. Duch probably could do either of those things; I wouldn't see Millwood in either role.

Plus Duch has some longterm upside. If he is finally healthy after all the injuries, he could be someone who could be a good pitcher for several years going, and you would think that if we got in on the ground floor with that and he was a part of a big turnaround here, we could probably get him to stay, especially since we are pretty close to New Jersey.

Guest Hayden2004

danconnollysun Dan Connolly

The #Orioles and #Nats are left as 2 finalists for #Duchscherer. #Mariners are out. Also, Orioles have made a major-league offer for sure

Guest Hayden2004

Source confirms #Orioles have a one-year, major-league deal offered for #Duchscherer. Don't know if Nats offered big-league or not

The #Orioles and #Nats are left as 2 finalists for #Duchscherer. #Mariners are out. Also, Orioles have made a major-league offer for sure

Oh SNAP. Another reason for a rivalry! Fight over Duchsherer! Battle of the Beltways! Derrek Lee vs Adam LaRoche! Fight fight fight!

Primarily a Koji-like FB (sits 86), a biiiiiiiiiig slow cure (sits around 70) and what I believe is a cutter (sits around 82) that he uses mostly against righties.

He also has a show-me slider and change, but has relied on them less and less as the years have gone on.

He won't blow you away with velocity but has great command, good movement and an assortment of speeds/angles.

Awesome. Thanks!

Source confirms #Orioles have a one-year, major-league deal offered for #Duchscherer. Don't know if Nats offered big-league or not

Interesting. Should be a fun couple of days while he decides. I've though Duchscherer was a good target all along. I don't think he's as sure a bet to post a sub-4 ERA as some others seem to think even if he's heatlhy, but he should be a solid starter if the arm is right.

I'm not too concerned with his insistence on starting - chances are we'll see some injury or ineffectiveness among the 6 or 7 SP options we have early on in the year. I have my doubts about Duke getting through the year healthy anyway, but it's a solid gamble to take.

To me, this move makes more sense than signing Vlad.

Archived