BP: Wieters one of the Most Disappointing Prospects of All Time

Tony-OH

I think that Matt Weiters has expectations of himself and that he will acheive those expectations. I would hope that folks would reserve judgement until he plays a little longer. I am beginning to think that some of these articles are designed to garner web hits instead of trying to actually give a legitemate opinion.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that Matt Weiters has expectations of himself and that he will acheive those expectations. I would hope that folks would reserve judgement until he plays a little longer. I am beginning to think that some of these articles are designed to garner web hits instead of trying to actually give a legitemate opinion.

Well it is kinda tough when you see other teams bring up some of the prospects who achieve some good success early on, only to watch the O's bring up their "studs" and have to watch them struggle a little bit and not live up to the hype. It gets old after a while.

If it was 2018 or 2019, I would say that they might have a case. It's not. It's 2011, and the man hasn't even been in the majors for 2 full years. Good grief. Talk about a premature judgement.

If it was 2018 or 2019, I would say that they might have a case. It's not. It's 2011, and the man hasn't even been in the majors for 3 full years. Good grief. Talk about a premature judgement.

Okay than, what is the "cut-off" as to when people can start actually asking if Weiters is a bust and/or just not living up to his potential and hype?

4 years?

5 years?

10 years?

20 years?

I love it when the goalposts keep getting moved.

Even if his entire career is similar to last year, that would obviously be considered a disappointment, but hardly one of the most disappointing of all time. Look at all the top picks who never or barely made it to the majors. Hopefully he'll use this as motivation and have a year that exceeds all of our expectations (even SG's ;))

Okay than, what is the "cut-off" as to when people can start actually asking if Weiters is a bust and/or just not living up to his potential and hype?

4 years?

5 years?

10 years?

20 years?

I love it when the goalposts keep getting moved.

1 and a half years is not to early to question if he's going to be a bust, but labeling him a bust now is premature.

Goalposts don't move, but after a penalty, the kicker has to make a longer kick. Hopefully Weiters gets a good snap and hold.

If it was 2018 or 2019, I would say that they might have a case. It's not. It's 2011, and the man hasn't even been in the majors for 2 full years. Good grief. Talk about a premature judgement.

He came up in May and had a year after. Less than two. One and a half.

I agree completely with you.

Well it is kinda tough when you see other teams bring up some of the prospects who achieve some good success early on, only to watch the O's bring up their "studs" and have to watch them struggle a little bit and not live up to the hype. It gets old after a while.

I agree it is kind of tough. But perhaps now that Buck and the new coaching staff are here they will create an atmosphere that will enable Matt to begin to meet some of his expectations. I think that perhaps some of the prospects of the other teams had a better enviroment in which to grow and prosper. We will see.

Even if his entire career is similar to last year, that would obviously be considered a disappointment, but hardly one of the most disappointing of all time. Look at all the top picks who never or barely made it to the majors. Hopefully he'll use this as motivation and have a year that exceeds all of our expectations (even SG's ;))

Only about 60% of the no. 5 picks ever make it to the majors, and very few of them have had really great careers. I agree that calling Wieters "one of the biggest disappointments of all time" is way over the top.

That said, two years ago Wieters was no. 1 or 1A (with Price) on everyone's list of the top prospects in baseball. By that measure, he is certainly off to a disappointing start. I think anything short of being an all-star has to be considered disappointing for him.

I do think his defense is, if not underrated, at least underappreciated. The guy was tremendous last year -- deserving of serious Gold Glove consideration, and he probably should have won it.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but Paul's Roy Halladay comparison struck me as a good one. Wieters just looks like a guy who's thinking too much up there and trying not to get fooled. I'd actually like to see what he looks like in batting practice to see if he lets it rip. If he doesn't, then maybe we really do have a problem.

The article about him needing to worry less about striking out also seems right to me. He may still underperform but I don't think he will get better if he doesn't make this change.

Well, it's obvious it's time to trade this guy while he has any value left :rolleyes:. While maybe not what we thought, i'd take a C that will hit around .270 15 HR and 70 RBI, while playing GG caliber defense. Sure, thats not MVP numbers, but a quality C doesn't grow on trees. And at worst, we already have a quality C. I mean, if your going to say Wieters is a bust because he's a high draft pick and isn't an MVP canidate yet, then I guess Matusz is a bust since he isn't a CY Young winner yet?

He had one of the best MiL careers as a prospect and was a top 4 draft pick.

So far he has regressed as a MLB player.

Maybe it's not fair to have him in the ALL TIME discussion but so far he has not lived up to expectations any way you slice it.

The "career" you speak of lasted less than two years. An awfully small sample size.

Let's face it, the internet has led to increased competition among entities trying to identify the next superstars, and as a result the hype has increased.

I remember when Ben McDonald was drafted, he was touted as possibly the "best pitcher ever to come out of college". OK, that's great. But he was the ONLY player so touted in the entire 1980-2005 time frame that I can recall.

Now, in the last 6 years, we have had Wieters hyped as a once in a lifetime prospect at catcher. Strasburg a once in a lifetime prospect. Bryce Harper may be the greatest hitting prospect ever. And then people were talking about Rendon as a once in a lifetime prospect.

Either lifespans have gotten shorter or the hype has ratcheted up to unsustainable levels, sort of like the housing boom. We now have once in a lifetime prospects in the draft every single damn year.

Don't buy the hype. Don't expect results to be equal to the hype. When you hear ANY high school, college, or minor leaguer being described as "once-in-a-lifetime" or "best ever" ... take it with a huge grain of salt.

The statement that Wieters who (barring some catastrophic chronic illness or injury) has a minimum decade + career still ahead of him in the major leagues can already be declared some sort of a bust is absurd.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=13098

I think this is way too premature. Sure Wieters has not lived up to his hype and last year was certainly a huge disappointment, but unless you were expecting Johnny Bench from day one, I don't see how he can be listed among the most disappointing prospects ever after just a year and half in the big leagues.

On top of it all, his defense has been superb so really we're talking about his disappointing bat here. Either way, I understand the criticisms, but don't agree that he's anywhere near the top 50 disappointments.

Let's hope Matt makes all of this talk worthless after this season.

The analysis from BP is as flimsy as a moist towelette. Of all the guys on this team who I think could have a sleeper/breakout year, Wieters is probably the guy. I wouldn't be shocked to see a .300 average and 20 HRs this season, along with improved defense and game-calling. I bet he'll be in the discussion for All-Star this season... that kind of talent doesn't just disappear.

Call me crazy, but I think the reports of Wieters' demise have been exaggerated - as were the reports of his immortality.

Archived