What if Reimold has a monster spring?

Greg Pappas

Tatum put up a .281 avg and a .349 OBP last year. That is a very respectable OBP for a back up catcher. Yes it probably was a career year and only over 126 PA, but with OBP being probably the most important batting stat, Tatum has had one year at the ML level that Fox has never come close to approaching at the ML level.

You are right. Those 114 ABs were much more valueable to the team than Fox's versitility.

Tatum has a .317 OBP for his career in the minors. The difference in that sample is 4 walks. 4 total walks.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having Reimold rot on the bench is a horrendous use of him. Keeping him on the team to be the 5th OFer would be an awful decision.

Fox has proven he can hit...Tatum has no business being on the team over Fox.

Listen to what I wrote earlier in this thread-see if it makes sense to you and if you would call this "rotting on the bench" for Reimold:

"Get him some time at first-give Lee at least one day off a week and another day @ DH to give Vlad a day off. Give Luke one day off a week and perhaps Markakis and Jones each a day off a week. He can go to right for Nick and let Nick play center when Jones has a day off. That should give him enough at bats to stay up instead of going to Norfolk and to keep him fresh. If we have problems with our pitching, package someone to get some pitching back.

Did you watch the games last year?

Tatum couldn't thrown anyone out. 25 out of 27 successful. Terrible for a catch and throw guy.

I don't think the pitchers helped him much for most the season. And yes I watched most of the games.

Well, if we are going to use minor league numbers to compare, maybe we should point out that Fox played 2 minor league games at catcher since 2007. You don't move a .885 OPS bat off of catcher unless there's a problem there. You do realize that Fox's defense was considered poor and that's why he was moved from catcher, right? You also are smart enough to know that defense at catcher involves a lot more than just throwing out runners. Of course, Tatum has a 34% rate of catching basestealers in the mniors, which is at least average if not a little above.

I already conceded that Fox is the greater threat at the plate. However, Tatum did a nice job last year. The basestealing numbers area concern but Tatum was always considered decent in that area. As I said, it will come down to how Showalter views Fox's "overall" defense.

I think it depends on how much time they want to get Matt out from behind the plate. If they are planning on catching him 90% of the time, it wouldn't kill them to keep Jake to occasionally back up and have his bat off the bench. It's a risky way to go though. I think no matter what happens Snyder will be the backup next season...or at least I hope.

There are plenty on lefthanded pitchers in the league. If Reimold is hitting like he did in 2009, he hits lefties. Just because Reimold does not start games does not mean he will not get into game at some point. He can be very valuable a spot starter and bench players. He is 27 not 23. If his plays is good enough to be in the majors, that is where he should be.
Not after what he went through last year...he needs to continue to get regular at bats. This is why I didn't want Vlad signed. I would rather have Reimold getting the at bats but it doesn't make sense to have him sit right now. If he goes down to AAA and tears it up, I am sure at some point, a spot will open up for him to be able to come up and play more but going into OD, that oppurtunity doesn't exist.
I don't think Fox has the plate discipline that other players do and I am not should he has proven he can hit anything but the fastball. If you can prove he has I would be glad to listen.
Fox is a bench player...he has holes in his game but you don't put up the MiL numbers he has and have some of the success he has had if you can't hit...it just doesn't work that way.
Tatum is a good catch and throw guy from all reports I have heard.
Based on the reports I heard, Brad Pennington had a great arm..But then i watched him pitch and he sucked. Watch the games.

Not after what he went through last year...he needs to continue to get regular at bats. This is why I didn't want Vlad signed. I would rather have Reimold getting the at bats but it doesn't make sense to have him sit right now. If he goes down to AAA and tears it up, I am sure at some point, a spot will open up for him to be able to come up and play more but going into OD, that oppurtunity doesn't exist.

Fox is a bench player...he has holes in his game but you don't put up the MiL numbers he has and have some of the success he has had if you can't hit...it just doesn't work that way.

Based on the reports I heard, Brad Pennington had a great arm..But then i watched him pitch and he sucked. Watch the games.

Hey Brad did have a great arm, he threw 96-97 all the time...he just threw it straight and right over the middle of the plate...:mad:

Tatum put up a .281 avg and a .349 OBP last year. That is a very respectable OBP for a back up catcher. Yes it probably was a career year and only over 126 PA, but with OBP being probably the most important batting stat, Tatum has had one year at the ML level that Fox has never come close to approaching at the ML level.
Fox had an OPS of about 780 in over 200 at bats with the Cubs in 2009. He didn't have the OBP Tatum had last year but he showed more power and did it in a larger sample size. Nothing in Tatum's history says he is nearly the hitter he was in 126 at bats last year.

Listen to what I wrote earlier in this thread-see if it makes sense to you and if you would call this "rotting on the bench" for Reimold:

"Get him some time at first-give Lee at least one day off a week and another day @ DH to give Vlad a day off. Give Luke one day off a week and perhaps Markakis and Jones each a day off a week. He can go to right for Nick and let Nick play center when Jones has a day off. That should give him enough at bats to stay up instead of going to Norfolk and to keep him fresh. If we have problems with our pitching' date=' package someone to get some pitching back.[/quote']

This isn't reality though.

The guys you are saying give a day off every week isn't happening.

If Reimold made the team, he would be lucky to get 2 starts a week.

On top of all of that, his defense isn't getting him out there, so its not like he is going to be a late inning replacement.

Well, if we are going to use minor league numbers to compare, maybe we should point out that Fox played 2 minor league games at catcher since 2007. You don't move a .885 OPS bat off of catcher unless there's a problem there. You do realize that Fox's defense was considered poor and that's why he was moved from catcher, right? You also are smart enough to know that defense at catcher involves a lot more than just throwing out runners. Of course, Tatum has a 34% rate of catching basestealers in the mniors, which is at least average if not a little above.

I already conceded that Fox is the greater threat at the plate. However, Tatum did a nice job last year. The basestealing numbers area concern but Tatum was always considered decent in that area. As I said, it will come down to how Showalter views Fox's "overall" defense.

Did you watch Fox catch last year? Do you think he did a bad job?

I thought he was pretty decent back there and was impressed by his arm.

I thought he did a decent job back there. Do you think the Cubs moved him from catcher because they thought he was good defensively? I remember reading reports on Fox's defense as being poor at catcher. He looked ok to me. We'll see what Buck thinks.

I have no idea why the Cubs moved him...and I don't really care. The Cubs aren't exactly the model organization.

I saw enough last year to think he could catch 25-35 games this year.

I will say that I expected him to be a train wreck back there because he was moved away from catching.

But he impressed me back there and showed me enough that he could be a back uup.

This doesn't happen often but I think I'm starting to agree with SG on this.:eek:

As much as I want Reimold to male the team, he would probably be better served getting consistent at bats. I might have change my sig...

This isn't reality though.

The guys you are saying give a day off every week isn't happening.

If Reimold made the team, he would be lucky to get 2 starts a week.

On top of all of that, his defense isn't getting him out there, so its not like he is going to be a late inning replacement.

This wasn't a reality with Trembly, but (hopefully) Buck knows how to use the bench and give older guys like Lee and Vlad a day off a week. We can also make us of him for lefty righty game day match ups (platoon).

This wasn't a reality with Trembly' date=' but (hopefully) Buck knows how to use the bench and give older guys like Lee and Vlad a day off a week. We can also make us of him for lefty righty game day match ups (platoon).[/quote']

I think there is a chance that 2 of Scott, Vlad and Lee miss one start a week, thus the 2 starts I said Reimold could get.

I think there is a chance that 2 of Scott, Vlad and Lee miss one start a week, thus the 2 starts I said Reimold could get.

What about Nick? Will he sit at all? I think all three of those should sit once a week, giving him at least three starts a week, besides possibly playing right if Jones sits and Nick plays center instead of Pie. Don't forget injuries, pinch hitting, etc...

What about Nick? Will he sit at all? I think all three of those should sit once a week' date=' giving him at least three starts a week, besides possibly playing right if Jones sits and Nick plays center instead of Pie. Don't forget injuries, pinch hitting, etc...[/quote']

Nick may sit 2-4 games all year.

If an injury occurs, chances are Reimold will be the one to be brought up.

As things stand right now, its just not realistic to think Reimold will get enough at bats each week to justify him being here.

I am usually all for bringing the best players north but after the year Reimold went through last year, I think he needs to get consistent at bats and gain confidence.

He can still end up with 250-350 ML at bats this year, its just not going to happen yet.

Archived