As of today, who do you think the Orioles should draft?

Who do you feel the Orioles should draft this year as of right now?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you feel the Orioles should draft this year as of right now?

I like Norris. I really liked what I saw of him. However, my thinking would be to take the talented college pitcher over the talented HS pitcher, if they are pretty close. You think Norris is significantly better than Jungmann, Gray, Barnes, etc.?

Not significantly, but lefties w/potential to eventually sit 92-94 and bump 96 are rare -- more so with a plus breaker. More risk but higher reward. I'd have no issue w/Jungmann/Gray. I think Barnes is a slight step behind.

I will say that if we are considering names like Barnes and Purke (and JBJ) we should also be considering Jed Bradley, Danny Hultzen, Archie Bradley, Francisco Lindor, John Stilson and Blake Swihart. Possibly a few others, too.

Deep draft.

Not significantly, but lefties w/potential to eventually sit 92-94 and bump 96 are rare -- more so with a plus breaker. More risk but higher reward. I'd have no issue w/Jungmann/Gray. I think Barnes is a slight step behind.

Again, Norris is a wild card for me, as I haven't spent much time on him aside from a few quick videos and quick reports.

Can you compare him with Tyler Matzek at draft time? Both lefties, similar size (about 6'3 185ish?), low-mid 90s fastball, plus breaking ball.

Similarities, differences?

Again, Norris is a wild card for me, as I haven't spent much time on him aside from a few quick videos and quick reports.

Can you compare him with Tyler Matzek at draft time? Both lefties, similar size (about 6'3 185ish?), low-mid 90s fastball, plus breaking ball.

Similarities, differences?

Norris longer limbs, better FB velo entering senior year. Matzek better overall prospect w/four good pitches compared to Norris' 2.5. Norris projects better command than did Matzek at same point. I'd give Norris +makeup. Matzek the slightly better prospect of the two, given arsenal, entering their senior season.

but I probably would be happy with just about anyone on that list, althoug I'm certainly higher on some than others.

This is pretty much how I feel.

I'm star-struck by Starling. Yeah, lame, I know.

Jungmann and Gray are both high on my personal list because they're so good and would arrive soon. Jungmann just scares me based on the reports I've read on this site.

I'll be really happy with any of those guys, and each will give us reason to hope that Jordan was brilliant in the choice he made.

Yea, no way I am taking the HS arm over the college arm if the difference between the 2 is small.

With options in both not separated by much, I'd probably look and see what the arbitration and FA schedule is for our young guys/guys in queue and try to add someone that will keep the farm producing instead of forming a log jam or a gap.

That being said, I might be leaning a bit towards Lindor as of this moment. Mid-INF premium I suppose, but it's never a bad thing to have a supply of good hitting SS/2B.

With options in both not separated by much, I'd probably look and see what the arbitration and FA schedule is for our young guys/guys in queue and try to add someone that will keep the farm producing instead of forming a log jam or a gap.

That being said, I might be leaning a bit towards Lindor as of this moment. Mid-INF premium I suppose, but it's never a bad thing to have a supply of good hitting SS/2B.

I'd love to have that guy, but it's an even better thing to have a large supply of high ceiling pitchers, IMO.

The only way I want a position prospect over this group of pitchers is if he's elite. That means Rendon and possibly Starling, as far as I understand things.

Norris longer limbs, better FB velo entering senior year. Matzek better overall prospect w/four good pitches compared to Norris' 2.5. Norris projects better command than did Matzek at same point. I'd give Norris +makeup. Matzek the slightly better prospect of the two, given arsenal, entering their senior season.

Damn this just pisses me off that we didn't sign this kid and took Hobgood instead. It really freakin does!! We could have both of these guys in the system!

Taylor Jungmann

Jed Bradley

Matthew Purke

I just don't see the top rated OFs as top 5 talent. Furthermore with the 2009 draft class injury heavy and looking like it will require ample time with short season clubs I suspect the Orioles will have to focus a little more toward College players. Attempting to get some talent to High A more than it normally would.

Furthermore with the 2009 draft class injury heavy and looking like it will require ample time with short season clubs I suspect the Orioles will have to focus a little more toward College players. Attempting to get some talent to High A more than it normally would.

The O's have 49 other rounds to worry about spreading out the talent. With #4 overall, I want the guy who's going to be a stud. The rest of the system should work around him, not the other way around.

The idea of Gray or Jungmann is really starting to grow on me though. Add a stud righty to Britton and Matusz and our rotation is sick.

Archived