If you were the GM, would you put Britton on the OD roster, or wait?

Frobby

If you were GM, would Britton be on the OD roster  

214 members have voted

1. 1. If you were GM, would Britton be on the OD roster

• Yes - give the team the best chance to win now
    • No - get the extra year of control by waiting until April 21 or later

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What you saw in his last years in Boston was probably the career path he was on before PEDs.

I think he also got a little fat and lazy at the end of his Boston career. PEDs helped, but he would have done better in Toronto either way.

ok so again, someone answer me this, just how badly does someone have to pitch to garner them being sent down, after being given a spot on opening day, in order to make room for britton?

You're going to give tillman 2 starts and send him down?

I think Britton comes up as soon as the team needs him. That could mean April 21 if Duch is not ready or it could be May 1 or June 1.

I don't have an issue with shifting any of Britton/Tillman/Bergesen to the pen, if needed. But there is no reason Britton shouldn't head to AAA to start the season. If he picks-up where he left off in early September, he'll be up sooner than later.

Is this the source that backs up your position that age 28 and up is "past his prime?"

Age 26, not age 27 is the big year for the most pitcher, but it's very close either way. The real lesson I take from this is that there isn't so much a Single Shining Peak Year, as much is there is a standard prime - ages 25-29 here.

Is this the source that backs up your position that age 28 and up is "past his prime?"

Partially.

There's this as well:

All pitchers from around age 21 to 26 are completely flat in runs allowed (against linear weights against). After that, they simply skyrocket in a nice smooth pattern to the tune of around .2 runs per 9 innings per year.

If I break pitchers down into relievers and starters, I get the same thing. If I look at good pitchers (before I start to track them of course), same thing. If I look at pitchers who have already pitched for a while, I do get a longer plateau, but no one after age 28 or 29 gets better. In fact, even those who have pitched well for a while, get sharply worse after age 28 or 29. And those who do pitch well for a while, if they don’t get worse until age 28 or 29, they don’t get better before that - they basically stay flat. The best you can do is not get worse as a pitcher.

http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/comments/no_matter_how_i_slice_or_dice_it_pitchers_get_worse_every_year/

I think Britton comes up as soon as the team needs him. That could mean April 21 if Duch is not ready or it could be May 1 or June 1.

I don't have an issue with shifting any of Britton/Tillman/Bergesen to the pen, if needed. But there is no reason Britton shouldn't head to AAA to start the season. If he picks-up where he left off in early September, he'll be up sooner than later.

Thank you for a reply that wasn't defensive and condescending.

I believe that its going to be tough to send a guy down thats doing ok even if britton has the ability to be great, one of the things that troubles me. If we are going to get into the playoffs its not going to be with much, if any, margin of error. We need to get more out of every AB, pitch, move than everyone else.

If our top priority was winning now, Britton would be on the team. Why get vlad, or lee, if thats not our priority? I think we're trying to middle here and you get burned trying to middle 95% of the time.

The thing thats more intriguing than anything will be brittons ability to maintain a the high GB%. Obviously huge at OPACY.

Thank you for a reply that wasn't defensive and condescending.

I believe that its going to be tough to send a guy down thats doing ok even if britton has the ability to be great, one of the things that troubles me. If we are going to get into the playoffs its not going to be with much, if any, margin of error. We need to get more out of every AB, pitch, move than everyone else.

If our top priority was winning now, Britton would be on the team. Why get vlad, or lee, if thats not our priority? I think we're trying to middle here and you get burned trying to middle 95% of the time.

Well, I think getting Vlad was silly. I think the focus should have been on giving all the young kids every opportunity to play and win this year, and to show whether they are integral parts of the future. To me, that means Guthrie/Matusz/Bergesen/Arrieta/Tillman in the rotation to start, with Britton coming up for injury replacement or when one of Bergesen/Arrieta/Tillman struggles enough to be shifted to long-man/pen work with Britton taking starts. I also have no issue with bringing Britton up as soon as the extra year is achieved and starting him in the pen until something in the rotation opens up.

Additionally, Duch should be insurance for the young arms, not vice versa.

Well, I think getting Vlad was silly. I think the focus should have been on giving all the young kids every opportunity to play and win this year, and to show whether they are integral parts of the future.

I have to agree, Stotle. I was against signing him. Not gonna lie, I am excited to see him play. Still, I truly hope for a great first half so that we may be able to deal him at the deadline and open up a place in the daily lineup for Reimold/Pie.

I have to agree, Stotle. I was against signing him. Not gonna lie, I am excited to see him play. Still, I truly hope for a great first half so that we may be able to deal him at the deadline and open up a place in the daily lineup for Reimold/Pie.

I don't want to see him dealt at the deadline because that will mean we are out of the race.

Ideally Reimold stays down until July when he can be dealt for a piece for a playoff push.

The time to see if the kids could play was the past two years. Now it's time to see if we can we win with what we have.

Archived