Britton to start sunday WOOT

Guest Hayden2004

Logically you're right. But you can also look at the beginning of last year, those blown saves by Gonzalez, and say, "It was only 2 or 3 losses." True in a sense; but I think it was obvious that the psychological impact was much greater. Here I think the impact of "doing the right thing" for Britton and the team - on the field - is important. (Of course, my argument goes along with a belief we can actually contend this year, so maybe there's the real difference in our opinions).

But either way, there's still the point that if Britton is as good as advertised, you just sign him to an extension and make the whole argument moot.

Boras is his agent...No extension will be happening unless you overpay..drastically.

Something you should never do with a pitcher.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still odd that they'd give up an entire year of Britton rather than have Hendrickson or Berken or somebody start two or three times in April. Maybe they have some contractual stuff in the works. It's going to look pretty silly if the O's don't get at or near their best case in 2011. You don't give up a year of a good pitcher in exchange for your 82nd win.

It's easy to say that when you sit back and look from a distance. I mean even as O's fans many people will agree with you. I think we all know the O's probably aren't going to contend this year. That said, go tell that to the players who are in the clubhouse day in and day out. We already know Buck has been preaching that we are here to compete this year. It's harder to keep the players believing if you preach it and don't follow it up with your roster management. We already know that players had come up to Britton when he was sent down and said they were suprised. I think you can work around it like we were planning to do but when your #2 pitcher goes down and the guy who was arguably your best pitcher all spring is sitting in the minors that is tough to accept. Especially, if Britton was told he would be the first up(don't know if that is the case). There is still plenty of time to get that year back, but if Britton never steps another foot in the minor leagues that's not a bad thing either.

And yes, I am excited about watching the kid pitch but that excitement should be held off for 3 more weeks.

In three weeks without Matusz and a bunch of #5 starters and Guthrie, this team could have been in a world of hurt.

Dumb move...The Orioles should have been smarter about this. How do you go from not wanting to lose that extra year to doing this because of one injury?

This move tells me that guys like BB and maybe Tillman are not very high on the confidence meter.

Well, of course Tillman isn't high on the confidence meter. He's never succeeded at the MLB level and isn't prepared to do it now. Given his age, there's no reason to write him off or try to trade him. But is there anyone who thinks he can be a successful MLB pitcher at this point in his life?

AAA him ASAP until he expands his game so it works on MLBers.

The funniest thing is people referencing who got injured as if that matters. If Tillman went down then replacing him with a lesser pitcher would be fine, but since it was matusz we should go with our most talented option.

That doesn't actually make sense.

He's never succeeded at the MLB level and isn't prepared to do it now. Given his age, there's no reason to write him off or try to trade him. But is there anyone who thinks he can be a successful MLB pitcher at this point in his life?

AAA him ASAP until he expands his game so it works on MLBers.

Yes...

I argued vociferously for keeping Britton in the minors, but to call up some 3rd rate pitcher now would be a real breach of faith. Britton earned the shot and the team deserves to have him take it. Now I just hope everyone on the staff steps up.

Same with me. We no longer have that luxury with Matusz and Duscherer both out.

In three weeks without Matusz and a bunch of #5 starters and Guthrie, this team could have been in a world of hurt.

I'm for bringing Britton up now, but if Arrietta and Tillman are nothing more than 5th starters for the entire season, we aren't winning anything anyway.

Love arrieta. I think hes in for a big year. Bergy has proven that hes plenty capable.

We trust tillman, it seems..

Guth

Arrieta

Tillman

Bergy

spot starter for 2 starts?

Bring up britton in accordance with the plan you left spring with and put countless hours into making. Makes me feel like they didn't have much confidence in their decision to begin with.

At the end of the day, this is bad news because we lose Matusz and go against what our management wanted to do. At the same time, I wanted Britton up to start the year, feel he earned it, and feel he gives us a very strong chance to win any time he takes the hill.

Hell of an option to have. Nice to be debating this when we get the news that matusz is out for a month or so rather than just sitting here thinking 'here we go again'.

Same with me. We no longer have that luxury with Matusz and Duscherer both out.

Doesn't that go against the actual points that were made in the argument to send Britton down though? Possible gains vs what we lose, etc.

If tillman was hurt would it be fine to pitch berken? :scratchchinhmm:

Also, if Britton isn't clearly better than Tillman when Duke and or Matusz are ready to go he'll be sent back down. Basically, if he isn't lights out he's going to go back when our pitchers come off the DL.

Point 1: Britton has to stay in the minors for 20 days for the O's to contractally control him for 7 years. But the 20 days does not have to be at the beginning for his rookie year. It can be anytime in the first 4 years. Hardy was send down just a year or so ago and he is going to be a FA this off season.

Point 2: When Guthrie, Matusz, Bergy, Tillman and Arrieta are all healthy the O's can send Britton down to the minors for 20 days. It will have the same effect and they do not need a reason. Britton has options. He can go up and down between the minors and the majors as many times as the O's want to do it.

Point 3: Britton pitched 156 innings last year. With the 30 inning increase rule he is only going to pitch 186 innings this year anyway. The O's can figure a creative way to get 20 days covered by send him down and have him rest then pitch some to keep in pitching shape.

Point 4: As mentioned by others. Boras is Britton's agent and he does not extend players. He takes them to free agency when they reach their 6 years of service.

Well, I think it would be a horrible message to this team, this early in the season, to have some scrap-heap pitcher come up to fill Matusz's place when you have Britton raring to go. If Tillman and Bergesen are at the back end of the rotation, that's one thing, and it allows you to play games with Britton's years. It's another to have something worse, especially right now when the boys are primed and ready to act like they belong with the big guys.

Doesn't that go against the actual points that were made in the argument to send Britton down though? Possible gains vs what we lose, etc.

If tillman was hurt would it be fine to pitch berken? :scratchchinhmm:

No, because I was making that argument (sending Britton down) assuming that our starters could stay in one piece for a couple of weeks. They didn't.

Archived