Orioles Hangout Top 10 Prospects: #7 - Brandon Snyder - C/1B/3B

ScottieBaseball

Who's #7 on the Orioles Hangout Top 10 Prospects List?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who's #7 on the Orioles Hangout Top 10 Prospects List?

• Brandon Snyder
    • Brandon Erbe
    • David Hernandez
    • Nolan Reimold
    • Jacob Arrieta

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...Gotta keep up with the list I posted in the last thread, and therefore I'll go with Brandon Erbe. I still think Hernandez will miss out on the top 10

8. Garrett Olson

7. Brandon Erbe

6. Jake Arieta

5. Chorye Spoone

4. Billy Rowell

3. Nolan Reimold

2. Radhames Liz

1. Matt Wieters

Thats just your opinion and already OH's crew have thrown a few curve balls at us on the 3 selection alreadty:002_sbiggrin: so I wouldn't be susprise if Hernandez is at the 7th spot!! But if he isn't then Im really susprise he wasn't selected for the 8th, 9th or 10th spot. And if you went with Arrieta, then which of the 3 (Synder, Erbe, Reimold) didn't make it. Because if Hernandez sits at the 7th spot, I can guarantee it's the same guy. I'm sure it isn't Reimold. . . .

Wait what? There are six spots after this. All three of those guys will make it in the top ten.

And seriously... I like Hernandez. I was hoping he'd be in the top ten, but at this point? He performed well last year but he was 22 in A ball. Performance isn't the only thing that determines prospect status.

Wait what? There are six spots after this. All three of those guys will make it in the top ten.

And seriously... I like Hernandez. I was hoping he'd be in the top ten, but at this point? He performed well last year but he was 22 in A ball. Performance isn't the only thing that determines prospect status.

He was the 5th youngest on the team!! Give me a break!! the average age for High A was 23 yrs old.

Still o-fer for me. I was going to go with BSnyder, but went with the early herd and JA.

I think many posters under-estimate Snyder's bat. From what I've read, he's a pure hitter with good power potential. If he could cut down on the ks a bit, he will really emerge.

Still o-fer for me. I was going to go with BSnyder, but went with the early herd and JA.

I think many posters under-estimate Snyder's bat. From what I've read, he's a pure hitter with good power potential. If he could cut down on the ks a bit, he will really emerge.

2 - 4 so far. I was right on Snyder and Beato, but wrong on Britton and Olson. I agree that many here underestimate his bat. I think some of that also stems from uncertainty around what position he'll play in the majors.

Snyder is still an unknown for me. The fact that he no longer is being considered a catcher makes his bat a bigger question mark, especially with the poor K:BB ratio. However, last year was really a very good comeback year after his horrible 2006 campaign.

Snyder has a good makeup and from the reports, there's some power in that bat that should start to emerge. Next season will be a good test for him. I could see him as high a top three prospect or out of the top ten based off next year.

How much of this ranking is due to the fact he was a first round pick?

I mean, i know that means he was talented but if he was someone who just slipped through the cracks and we got him in the 3rd or 4th round, would he still be ranked this high?

That's a good question. His first round draft pick status does help him because it means the scouts saw serious upside potential. His only real disasterous season was an injury plagued one but there does remain some concerns over his pitch recognition. This can improve with experience and the fact he put up a .350+ OBP gives him hope for the future.

I'm not crazy about the K's though and the fact he now has to play a power position (1b/3B/LF) instead of catcher means his bat needs to be his best attribute.

That's a good question. His first round draft pick status does help him because it means the scouts saw serious upside potential. His only real disasterous season was an injury plagued one but there does remain some concerns over his pitch recognition. This can improve with experience and the fact he put up a .350+ OBP gives him hope for the future.

I'm not crazy about the K's though and the fact he now has to play a power position (1b/3B/LF) instead of catcher means his bat needs to be his best attribute.

Is there any chance of him ever returning to catcher or does his previous injury negate that? I can't imagine it would hurt having another power hitting catcher in the system. If Wieters doesn't pan out, we'd still have Snyder and if Wieters does pan out, we have a close-to-ML-ready power hitting catcher that we can trade to fill other needs.

Is there any chance of him ever returning to catcher or does his previous injury negate that? I can't imagine it would hurt having another power hitting catcher in the system. If Wieters doesn't pan out, we'd still have Snyder and if Wieters does pan out, we have a close-to-ML-ready power hitting catcher that we can trade to fill other needs.

Interesting question...I get the feeling that if the organization feels that his bat could be good enough for him to be an above average 1B/3B/LF in the Majors, than he never catches again. However, if they don't (maybe after next season if he struggles or is only OK), than it might not be the worst idea in the world to have Snyder go back to C. Then we could have Weiters play 60% C/ 40% DH; Snyder play 40% C/ 60 % DH. This would allow Weiters to play virtually everyday, rather than only 80-90% of the time.

Archived