Q & A with MacPhail

8ripken2131

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
send the dodgers guthrie and prospects

Shoot, I just realized I have a log-jam in the outfield with Markakis/Pie/Milledge/Rios....hmmmmmm

We still need a catcher too. Do the Dodgers have a catcher behind Martin they'd be willing to trade? Rios/Milledge, Guthrie for Kershaw and Laroche?

I guess we could sign Lo Duca or Torrealba or something.

This would leave us with a rotation of Santana, Loewen, Marhsall, Kershaw and Pelfrey. Hmmm....is Steve Trachsel avaliable?

C Free Agent

1B Kotchman

2B Aybar

SS Wood

3B LaRoche

LF Milledge/Rios

CF Pie

RF Markakis

DH Huff

Bench: Cedeno, Snider, House and Reimold.

Bullpen: Hoey, Heilman, Liz, Olson, Burres, Walker, Bradford, Cherry, Cabrera, Leicester....

As hard as it is to imagine...Flanagan actually planted the seeds for a deal. When the dust settles...his legacy isn't as bad as advertised. The guy isn't a dummy and worked under ALOT of restraints. Current management is nurturing this deal. I think you're gonna like it alot of it comes to fruitition.

I'll rent that on an installment plan, because I'm not totally buying it. What makes anyone really believe that MacPhail won't have restraints as well? He has said that Angelos will still be involved in the big deals.

I'll rent that on an installment plan, because I'm not totally buying it. What makes anyone really believe that MacPhail won't have restraints as well? He has said that Angelos will still be involved in the big deals.

I agree AM has constraints. But whatever they are, AM already knows about them.

One big diff between him and the other guys is that he made 100% sure to get the rules for the off-season sorted out with PA first, before he started working anything out. It's maybe not Flanny's fault that he and Duq didn't, because PA probably would just dance around the issue with them, and then leave them hanging with a deal in mid-air while he took his sweet time playing godfather (no offense) and thinking things over. But two things are different now: (1) PA trusts AM a lot more, and (2) AM wouldn't put up with that crap for 2 minutes.

AM is "OK enough" with whatever PA's constraints might be. To him, that's just part of his working situation, his operational parameters. But I'll betcha anything that he made damn sure that he knows exactly what they are. He probably has a regular schedule for revisiting the issue of constraints with PA. But at each phase, he knows exactly what he can and can't do. He's not gonna be telling anybody, "Can you wait 'til Tuesday so I can I phone home and find out if I can really do this?"

Question for anybody really. We propose all this speculation of Bedard to the Dodgers for 3 of their top young players. But, is this speculation based in any reality? Are the Dodger really in the market for another top starter? Or is it just "they have a lot of prospects we want, let's trade him there" mentality. They would have Penny, Lowe, Schmidt, Billingsly, Wolfe and Kershaw on his way.

Schmidt was injured for most of 2007, Wolfe (Randy Wolf?) is not on the 2008 team as far as I know, Kershaw is not quite ready, Penny and Lowe are both FA's after 2008. A real case can be made for a starter like Bedard.

BINGO!!!! We have a winner

Archived