Keith Law: O's early intention to pick Hultzen or Jed Bradley

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me too, but I've been saying that for a year or two. I'm just glad (and a little surprised) that he's improved this season.

I don't understand. You've been saying you prefer Hultzen to Bradley for a year or two? Bradley wasn't even drafted out of high school and didn't emerge as a potentially elite talent until this summer on the Cape. Hultzen was one of the top HS pitchers in the country back in 2008 and has had national heat since his junior year of high school.

Also, if you've been a Hultzen fan I'm a bit surprised that you are surprised that he has improved. I mean, Hultzen pre-2011 was a neat college arm but was seldom dominant, particularly past the 5th inning. By far the best two things Hultzen had going for him was his change-up and his projection, no?

I don't understand. You've been saying you prefer Hultzen to Bradley for a year or two? Bradley wasn't even drafted out of high school and didn't emerge as a potentially elite talent until this summer on the Cape. Hultzen was one of the top HS pitchers in the country back in 2008 and has had national heat since his junior year of high school.

Also, if you've been a Hultzen fan I'm a bit surprised that you are surprised that he has improved. I mean, Hultzen pre-2011 was a neat college arm but was seldom dominant, particularly past the 5th inning. By far the best two things Hultzen had going for him was his change-up and his projection, no?

No I was saying that I've liked Hultzen, not preferred him to anyone in particular. I was just a big fan of his out of HS. I thought that Hultzen after last season was settling in to be a mid-late first rounder, could be solid but wasn't lights out. Not as good as I thought he was going to be out of HS. After the end of last season I thought he was starting to plateau a bit and was just going to be what he was, velocity wise. I was a little surprised when he jumped up a couple mph this season. He's back to what I had hoped for him 3 years ago. I thought his change, his control, and being a lefty were the big ones he had going for him, I really didn't think he has much projection left...missed on that part I guess, pleasant surprise.

No I was saying that I've liked Hultzen, not preferred him to anyone in particular. I was just a big fan of his out of HS. I thought that Hultzen after last season was settling in to be a mid-late first rounder, could be solid but wasn't lights out. Not as good as I thought he was going to be out of HS. After the end of last season I thought he was starting to plateau a bit and was just going to be what he was, velocity wise. I was a little surprised when he jumped up a couple mph this season. He's back to what I had hoped for him 3 years ago. I thought his change, his control, and being a lefty were the big ones he had going for him, I really didn't think he has much projection left...missed on that part I guess, pleasant surprise.

oh, okay. understood, thanks.

oh, okay. understood, thanks.

No prob, it's my fault I really didn't read the conversation back at all, so my context was off when I replied. Sometimes you forget that people can't read your mind when you just jump into a conversation and throw 2 cents around.

It seems like there is only a small chance that the O's don't take a college pitcher.

HS hitter (Starling,Lindor) - 10%

HS pitcher (Bundy,Bradley,Guerrieri,Norris) - 20%

College hitter (Springer) - 5% (that includes the 2% chance that Rendon will be there)

College pitcher (Hultzen,Bradley,Gray,Jungman) - 65%

That even seems a bit low. It seems like it is a college pitcher unless 3 of the 4 pitchers fall apart. Assuming ARI takes one of the college pitchers. Man do I wish we had TOR,BOS, or TAM picks. Maybe they will screw up like that year we had the mother load of picks with Stahl,Pardis etc. Of course all of them did nothing.

Hultzen was drafted by ARI once before, correct? So, the Diamondbacks can draft Hultzen again, provided he gives them his approval? I forget how that works.

They need his written permission to draft him again. As Stotle said recently, I can't imagine him ruling any team trying to pay him 7-figures out of the equation, so I doubt it'll be an issue.

It seems like there is only a small chance that the O's don't take a college pitcher.

HS hitter (Starling,Lindor) - 10%

HS pitcher (Bundy,Bradley,Guerrieri,Norris) - 20%

College hitter (Springer) - 5% (that includes the 2% chance that Rendon will be there)

College pitcher (Hultzen,Bradley,Gray,Jungman) - 65%

That even seems a bit low. It seems like it is a college pitcher unless 3 of the 4 pitchers fall apart. Assuming ARI takes one of the college pitchers. Man do I wish we had TOR,BOS, or TAM picks. Maybe they will screw up like that year we had the mother load of picks with Stahl,Pardis etc. Of course all of them did nothing.

IMO, we are 95% to draft a pitcher at #4. Most, of that 5% is on the off chance Rendon drops. I just don't think Starling, Springer or Lindor are seriously in the O's plans. Of the 95%, I would say it's 75%/20% that it's a college pitcher.

IMO, we are 95% to draft a pitcher at #4. Most, of that 5% is on the off chance Rendon drops. I just don't think Starling, Springer or Lindor are seriously in the O's plans. Of the 95%, I would say it's 75%/20% that it's a college pitcher.

The Orioles desperately pitching depth in our farm system. I would love to have Starling our system, but we need a college pitcher who can ascend through our farm system fast. I really hope we end up drafting the best player available, I do not want a "project" for our first pick.

Archived