Gary Williams Retiring

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Katz did drop some big names on Sportscenter as possible replacements or as he said, coaches who would at least "pause" to consider the Terps job.

Mike Brea (Notre Dame)- Dematha connections

Jay Wright (Villanova)

Jamie Dixon (Pitt)- knows KAnderson well

Mark Few (Gonzaga)

Brad Stevens (Butler)

That is quite a list! I'd take any of those guys. I could see Stevens making the jump to a major conference. He's still young enough to break a lot of records at the ACC.

Chuck Driesell - The Citadel? :scratchchinhmm:;)

Regarding its desirability, Andy Katz just called the coaching job "top 10-15" and "plum, plum."

Of course it's a top 10-15 job. MD will get a good coach, even now that it's relatively late in the process. Dixon is a real possibility, supposedly Sean Miller said MD was his dream job, Stevens is an option. Worse case scenario is they end up with a Shaka Smart.

I've said I was patiently waiting for the Gary era to end because this program was stuck in medocirty. I respect what he did for MD but it was time for a new era. I'm pretty excited going forward. Without a doubt things could be worse for awhile but ultimately this program has a higher potential than where Gary had it the last decade. BTW.... it's certainly possibly we'll lose recruits but to be blunt a lot of these kids commited because of Bino Ransom and Rob Ehsan. If the next coach keeps these guys around(don't have a clue how likely that is) I think we'll get most of the recruits back.

Also, the fact that Gary is staying on and will be a part of the program will also help with the transition to the next guy.

wow! just, wow!

Only two weeks ago, MD announced he would be part of Terps on Tour, to promote the athletic dept.

He still could be, as I mentioned earlier, Brent Harris tweeted that he would be staying on as Assistant Athletic Director and Special Assistant to Anderson.

I appreciate all the things Gary Williams did for the program.

Now that's out of the way, I couldn't be happier. Williams retired and wasn't fired (which is good for everyone). He's sticking around as assistant AD (which means he wasn't forced out) and now MD can go find a young hungry coach and can do what Gary did 20 years ago!

Go Terps.

BTW....I've seen multiple tweets or comments today from college basketball insiders or bloggers who have commented how great of a job opening this is, much more than the average fan thinks. Anderson can't even mess this one up.

Gary Williams will be tough to follow - His loyalty , passion & fiery personality will be missed in Terps Country ! Had INTENSE PRIDE
Surprised by the news Gary Williams is stepping down - He brought such passion to every possession - Will be missed big time - HOF BABY!

That's from Vitale.

He also believes MD should call Tubby Smith immediately.

Archived