Gary Williams Retiring

I personally have never gotten the love for Bray and wouldn't be excited if he is hired. Dixon, Miller, and Wright are much more appealing to me. Stevens of course too if realistic.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No way Miller leaves Arizona. He just moved out there (from Xavier), and he's just starting to get his recruits into the system.

Plus he's getting paid pretty nicely out there.

I will bet my house that I heard him call UMD his dream job. Will that mean he leaves? Not sure. But I know he said it, I just don't know where I heard it.

Edit: I am on my phone and responded once I read this. I didn't read all the way down and see ACCinfo's report.

I have only skimmed over this thread, but I'm surprised Mark Few isn't getting much of a mention. What he has done at Gonzaga is amazing, IMO. He might not be #1 on my list, but I wouldn't be disappointed if he ended up here.

I'm surprised at all the people who would be on board with a Tubby hire. I can't see him taking this program to an elite level year in and year out. Gary built it, we need someone to take it to the next level, not hope to maintain.

Tubby is a fine coach and all, but he's not the right guy for this job, IMO.

Maybe my outsider's perspective is helpful. They're not going to get a top guy this late in the season. Tubby Smith would be a great transitional coach (2-3 years) until you can find your next guy that can do what Gary did. Just keep your head above water for now, and look for the right coach each season until you get him.

EDIT: If they actually can get Sean Miller then that would be a much better move.

Maybe my outsider's perspective is helpful. They're not going to get a top guy this late in the season. Tubby Smith would be a great transitional coach (2-3 years) until you can find your next guy that can do what Gary did. Just keep your head above water for now, and look for the right coach each season until you get him.

EDIT: If they actually can get Sean Miller then that would be a much better move.

MD doesn't have to settle, this is a top notch job. If there are coaches MD wants, they will get their guy this year.

MD doesn't have to settle, this is a top notch job. If there are coaches MD wants, they will get their guy this year.

If Miller says no, then who could they get? I don't think Smart or Stevens are coming here, especially not this late in the game. MD is not going to be good next year, I think a guy like Smith gets them to play hard and keeps them respectable this year while they start the search for the long term guy. If you can find him in one year then dump Tubby after that.

If Miller says no, then who could they get? I don't think Smart or Stevens are coming here, especially not this late in the game. MD is not going to be good next year, I think a guy like Smith gets them to play hard and keeps them respectable this year while they start the search for the long term guy. If you can find him in one year then dump Tubby after that.

One of Sean Miller, Jamie Dixon, Jay Wright, or Mike Brey sounds about right.

One of Sean Miller, Jamie Dixon, Jay Wright, or Mike Brey sounds about right.

Why would they leave Pitt or Nova? Those are two big markets also (Philly actually bigger than DC/B'more) and I think that is wishful thinking. I don't know if you want Brey though. I'd rather have Tubby for a couple of years.

Well, you got your first wish. Now let's see who replaces him. And then let's see how they do. I think to be fair to the new coach you have to wait until Year 3, maybe Year 4, before you can hold him fully accountable for results.

Agreed. The new guys has to be able to get his recruits on the floor before we judge him. Next year is not going to be very good no matter who is brought in to coach.

Mike is very well liked in recruiting circles. He was responsible for recruiting the great DC area players that went to Duke when he was an assistant there. Danny Ferry, Amaker, Grant Hill, just to name a few. Mike grew up in Bethesda went to Dematha and coached the JV team there and is considered like a son to Morgan Wooten. Mike understands the inner workings of how recruiting works in this area. His dad was an high school athletic director in Rockville for many many years. Just to give his mom a plug also she won an Olympic Gold metal in the 60's swimming. LOL Would he be my first choice, yes, but I am biased. He has been a friend of mine for over 30 years. Just wanted to give you full disclosure there. LOL.

Mike didn't go to Maryland but he will tell you only because he wasn't good enough to play there. He grew up a Maryland fan.

If the timing is right for everyone I think it would be great. They will get a good coach this is a real good job.

Thanks for the insights and background.

Archived