Gary Williams Retiring

I appreciate all the things Gary Williams did for the program.

Now that's out of the way, I couldn't be happier. Williams retired and wasn't fired (which is good for everyone). He's sticking around as assistant AD (which means he wasn't forced out) and now MD can go find a young hungry coach and can do what Gary did 20 years ago!

Go Terps.

Well, you got your first wish. Now let's see who replaces him. And then let's see how they do. I think to be fair to the new coach you have to wait until Year 3, maybe Year 4, before you can hold him fully accountable for results.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a fan who never saw one game live and only began to observe the Terps in the late 80-early-90 I fell in love with the young. Usually shorter teams that had to attack with full court press most of a game. It helped make up for our diminished size and we could still be a threat because we took bigger and more talented clubs out of their game plan. Gary was wonderful for the first 15 years or so that he was there. Once he won the national title it was all down from there. Maybe it was that evil woman or maybe just sitation about how much college basketball had changed. But somewhere Gary didnt relate as well to the new generation of atheletes and he playing style didnt translate like it once did.

I think he retired at a good time. Perhaps not a perfect time but at least a good time. That female is thankfully gone so the incoming coach should be better off than Gary as been forcecd to suffer through.

Lets get a big name who is late 30-early 50;s someone who is well know and very eager to see what he can do in a pretty good basketball college and a great basketball recruiting area.

I believe poster accinfo stated on here that Sean Miller would be ecstatic about a job offer to MD. I really hope he's the guy they go after.

There's already rumors that he's contacted MD and said he's interested. You can never really believe this stuff till it happens though. The thing is Arizona is a really good job--I wouldn't necessarily say it's "better" than MD, but I saw some one else on another site say it would be a lateral move for Miller and I tend to agree with that.

Edit: The rumor I mentioned via WashPo

Source: Sean Miller also would be interested in Maryland job if approached.

http://twitter.com/#!/TerpsInsider/status/66282977918857216

Gotta love unnamed sources!

I am surprised but pleased that Gary is leaving on his terms and will stay with the school. He will be missed and never forgotten. Being visible on campus and working in the AD and on fund raising will be great. I also heard he would like to work on the radio if possible.

My top four candidates are as follows;

Jay Wright (49) - Villanova - Gary's choice say the insiders

Sean Miller (42) - Arizona - East Coast Connections

Jamie Dixon (45) - Pittsburgh - Knows the new AD

Mike Bray - (52) - Notre Dame - East Coast Connections and former Duke Asst.

I would be okay with any of the four named above. Miller is the youngest and seems to be climbing the ladder quickly as a top young coach. The same can be said for Dixon. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that Mike Brey has already been contacted by MD.

Apparently all of them have an interest in the MD job and all of them are good recruiters. This could be real interesting. I heard Gary is on the search committee and as I mentioned previously prefers Wright.

My top 5 wish list in order.

1. Sean Miller

2. Brad Stevens

3. Jamie Dixon

4. Jay Wright

5. Anthony Grant

I'm pretty certain we'll get one of those guys too. Can't wait to hear from accinfo. He seems to have some legit sources.

I am surprised but pleased that Gary is leaving on his terms and will stay with the school. He will be missed and never forgotten. Being visible on campus and working in the AD and on fund raising will be great. I also heard he would like to work on the radio if possible.

My top four candidates are as follows;

Jay Wright (49) - Villanova - Gary's choice say the insiders

Sean Miller (42) - Arizona - East Coast Connections

Jamie Dixon (45) - Pittsburgh - Knows the new AD

Mike Bray - (52) - Notre Dame - East Coast Connections and former Duke Asst.

I would be okay with any of the four named above. Miller is the youngest and seems to be climbing the ladder quickly as a top young coach. The same can be said for Dixon. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that Mike Brey has already been contacted by MD.

Apparently they all have an interest in the MD job. This could be real interesting. I heard Gary is on the search committee and as I mentioned prefers Wright.

Obviously Miller is my preferred choice, but I would be content with Wright or Dixon--preferably Dixon. Not jumping for joy excited mind you, but happy.

Bray would be a disappointing hire IMO.

There's already rumors that he's contacted MD and said he's interested. You can never really believe this stuff till it happens though. The thing is Arizona is a really good job--I wouldn't necessarily say it's "better" than MD, but I saw some one else on another site say it would be a lateral move for Miller and I tend to agree with that.

Edit: The rumor I mentioned via WashPo

http://twitter.com/#!/TerpsInsider/status/66282977918857216

Gotta love unnamed sources!

"Lateral" doesn't necessarily mean much when it is a job you covet. When Gary came here, one could argue he was taking a step DOWN because of everything the program had, and was going to, go through.

Plus, there's probably a higher ceiling at Maryland then Arizona because of the recruiting and the conference and the markets.

Which of the following of my final four would recruit the best in Baltimore?

Wright

Miller

Dixon

Bray

A former Villanova, Arizona, Pitt or Notre Dame Coach. I think the Villanova program is better known in town with high school players and Pittsburgh is probably second.

I have always liked Wright's coaching style. Never seems to get rattled. I haven't seen Dixon or Miller very much but Dixon seems pretty calm while Miller appears to be more fiery. I haven't seen Bray enough to make a comment.

Yes, MD is a lateral move for Miller but if it's his dream jobs well there you go. Also, while Arizona and Maryland are lateral now IMO Maryland has the higher potential. People have to remember that Arizona was nothing before Olson got there in the mid 80s.

"Lateral" doesn't necessarily mean much when it is a job you covet. When Gary came here, one could argue he was taking a step DOWN because of everything the program had, and was going to, go through.

Plus, there's probably a higher ceiling at Maryland then Arizona because of the recruiting and the conference and the markets.

I agree with you. However, I'm just trying to look at it from his position. Essentially he'd be screwing Arizona since it's so late (not his fault, just a reality of the game), moving his family across the country, abandoning a program that he just built back up, and leaving the great weather behind (half joking here).

Your point about relative ceilings and recruiting is true as well, but it's easier to compete in the Pac-12 than it is the ACC. There's much less competition in recruiting too. Also, I'm pretty sure the Pac-12 just set up it's own RSN so that will most likely be raking in a ton of cash.

UMD is obviously has the upper hand when it comes to market comparison and conference prestige. Personally, I would say that MD is the better job. However, I think it's fair to say it's close.

It's all going to come down to two things: 1) How much he really wants the job and 2) How hard Anderson goes after him. All signs point to him wanting to come, but Anderson still has to pay the man. Hopefully this is where UA and Plank come into play.

Edit:

Yes, MD is a lateral move for Miller but if it's his dream jobs well there you go. Also, while Arizona and Maryland are lateral now IMO Maryland has the higher potential. People have to remember that Arizona was nothing before Olson got there in the mid 80s.

This is where I'm apprehensive. Unless I'm missing something, we've heard that Miller is interested in the job--a very good thing--but where is all this talk of UMD being his "dream job" coming from?

I agree with you. However, I'm just trying to look at it from his position. Essentially he'd be screwing Arizona since it's so late (not his fault, just a reality of the game), moving his family across the country, abandoning a program that he just built back up, and leaving the great weather behind (half joking here).

Your point about relative ceilings and recruiting is true as well, but it's easier to compete in the Pac-12 than it is the ACC. There's much less competition in recruiting too. Also, I'm pretty sure the Pac-12 just set up it's own RSN so that will most likely be raking in a ton of cash.

UMD is obviously has the upper hand when it comes to market comparison and conference prestige. Personally, I would say that MD is the better job. However, I think it's fair to say it's close.

It's all going to come down to two things: 1) How much he really wants the job and 2) How hard Anderson goes after him. All signs point to him wanting to come, but Anderson still has to pay the man. Hopefully this is where UA and Plank come into play.

Edit:

This is where I'm apprehensive. Unless I'm missing something, we've heard that Miller is interested in the job--a very good thing--but where is all this talk of UMD being his "dream job" coming from?

It's just a rumor but it seems to have some legs.

BTW...good article by Telep linked below.

http://espn.go.com/blog/CollegeBasketballNation/post/_/id/30633/a-recruiting-culture-change-on-tap-for-terps

Recruiting-wise, this is sleeping giant. Where Williams elected (and it was his choice) to not play ball with many of the local traveling team coaches, the next head coach will almost surely take a different approach. Expect Maryland to move swiftly. Most established head coaches won’t interview for the position, but there will be more than a handful who will take it if offered.

The job will be extremely attractive to an elite group of middle-aged coaches, many of whom have secretly mused about the Maryland job behind the scenes. Make no mistake: The Terrapins' head-coaching position is regarded as a gem. Combine the facilities with the recruiting grounds and the fan base and one has to believe that Maryland will land a worthy successor.

I did say Sean Miller told me many times Maryland was his dream job and he will be a player for this job. As will Jamie Dixon, Rick Barnes, and Mike Brey. I read here and elsewhere people thinking Brey would be disappointing. People don't understand the academic recruiting restrictions Mike has had at Notre Dame. He has not been allowed to take visit from ANY player with a much higher SAT score then is required to get into most schools. I know some here think Maryland had tough academic standards but they aren't close to what Notre Dame has had. Mike still has won in a very tough league without NBA players. His only first round pick was Troy Murphy who was there when he got there. Mike has graduated every player he has ever coached at Notre dame and Delaware which no one cares about but they should. Mike would mend fences with local AAU coaches in this area and would get high quality players to go to Maryland. You don't have to cheat to do that but you do have to smooze the right people. People would be surprised with the talent a Brey or any of the others I mentioned would get to go to Maryland. I see where people point to only one sweet 16 at Notre Dame but sometimes you have to look beyond the record. I think he has won as much as he can with the talent he has had.

Maryland will get a good coach that I am certain.

I did say Sean Miller told me many times Maryland was his dream job and he will be a player for this job. As will Jamie Dixon, Rick Barnes, and Mike Brey. I read here and elsewhere people thinking Brey would be disappointing. People don't understand the academic recruiting restrictions Mike has had at Notre Dame. He has not been allowed to take visit from ANY player with a much higher SAT score then is required to get into most schools. I know some here think Maryland had tough academic standards but they aren't close to what Notre Dame has had. Mike still has won in a very tough league without NBA players. His only first round pick was Troy Murphy who was there when he got there. Mike has graduated every player he has ever coached at Notre dame and Delaware which no one cares about but they should. Mike would mend fences with local AAU coaches in this area and would get high quality players to go to Maryland. You don't have to cheat to do that but you do have to smooze the right people. People would be surprised with the talent a Brey or any of the others I mentioned would get to go to Maryland. I see where people point to only one sweet 16 at Notre Dame but sometimes you have to look beyond the record. I think he has won as much as he can with the talent he has had.

Maryland will get a good coach that I am certain.

Thanks a lot for the post. I was one of the people that said Brey would be disappointing, but your post gave me some pause for thought.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think Brey would work well with the local AAU coaches? Would it be fair to say that Brey is one of your top choices?

Mike is very well liked in recruiting circles. He was responsible for recruiting the great DC area players that went to Duke when he was an assistant there. Danny Ferry, Amaker, Grant Hill, just to name a few. Mike grew up in Bethesda went to Dematha and coached the JV team there and is considered like a son to Morgan Wooten. Mike understands the inner workings of how recruiting works in this area. His dad was an high school athletic director in Rockville for many many years. Just to give his mom a plug also she won an Olympic Gold metal in the 60's swimming. LOL Would he be my first choice, yes, but I am biased. He has been a friend of mine for over 30 years. Just wanted to give you full disclosure there. LOL.

Mike didn't go to Maryland but he will tell you only because he wasn't good enough to play there. He grew up a Maryland fan.

If the timing is right for everyone I think it would be great. They will get a good coach this is a real good job.

Mike is very well liked in recruiting circles. He was responsible for recruiting the great DC area players that went to Duke when he was an assistant there. Danny Ferry, Amaker, Grant Hill, just to name a few. Mike grew up in Bethesda went to Dematha and coached the JV team there and is considered like a son to Morgan Wooten. Mike understands the inner workings of how recruiting works in this area. His dad was an high school athletic director in Rockville for many many years. Just to give his mom a plug also she won an Olympic Gold metal in the 60's swimming. LOL Would he be my first choice, yes, but I am biased. He has been a friend of mine for over 30 years. Just wanted to give you full disclosure there. LOL.

Mike didn't go to Maryland but he will tell you only because he wasn't good enough to play there. He grew up a Maryland fan.

If the timing is right for everyone I think it would be great. They will get a good coach this is a real good job.

Ok, my opinion of him has grown 600% thanks to your posts. I guess I was short sighted to write him off. Thanks a lot for the insight.

Archived