Gary Williams Retiring

From InsideMDSports:

If I am a MD fan, I would rank Wright and Miller ahead of Dixon although teams like Dixon has had in years past would give Duke fits, not that you should base the decision off of that. But Dixon's teams have underachieved in the tourney over the years.

The one thing about Jay Wright is that he has a really good recruiting class already set up for 2012...if he goes to MD, those kids could come to the Terps.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hearing that Stevens may be a possibility. Dunno how reliable it is. Just a rumor. But I really, really hope.

He would be my #1 target regardless of who is out there. He is a GREAT coach...Not a good one...a great one and he is very young.

Since Gary retired kind of late (after a lot of coaching searches already completed), this needs to get resolved relatively quickly...doesn't it? Does anyone know of an anticipated/desired time frame?

From what I've read and the fact that KA is flying to Arizona to meet with Miller, they think it will be resolved quickly.

Not to call you out because you have 800+ posts, but I assume you have reliable sources that he's flying to Arizona?

I think Jay Wright is a great coach. I'm hoping for him. Sean Miller just seems like more of an unknown to me at this point.

I agree about Wright, he's had sustainable success over the last several years at Villanova.

Would love to learn more about Miller. I know he had his amazing F4 run this past season, but how good of a recruiter is he, was it a fluke, is he just being opportunistic because it's Arizone, etc.?

I agree about Wright, he's had sustainable success over the last several years at Villanova.

Would love to learn more about Miller. I know he had his amazing F4 run this past season, but how good of a recruiter is he, was it a fluke, is he just being opportunistic because it's Arizone, etc.?

He lost in elite 8.

Sean Miller did great things with Xavier as well.

He lost in elite 8.

Sean Miller did great things with Xavier as well.

SG...I know you're not a MD hater, but you are kind of on the "outside" of this since you are a big Duke fan. Who do you think would be the best choice for MD?

SG...I know you're not a MD hater, but you are kind of on the "outside" of this since you are a big Duke fan. Who do you think would be the best choice for MD?

Stevens is the best choice for any team IMO. I think the guy is brilliant and is the next great coach.

However, outside of him, I like Sean Miller a lot, along with Jay Wright.

I think either of them would be very good choices.

People are underestimating just how good Tubby Smith is HOWEVER, I would probably look for one of these young, up and coming coaches before him.

Archived