Baseball America now ranks Dylan Bundy over Gerrit Cole

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I realize high school stats aren't that meaningful, but a 158/5 K/BB ratio is kind of unbelievable.

Yeah. It's a man-against-boys type of result. He's clearly in a different world than his competition.

I'm a little torn on who my #1 ranked player in this draft should be: Cole or Rendon. If Cole falls to us, we absolutely better take him. I would be ecstatic, and very angry if we took Bundy over him.

I realize high school stats aren't that meaningful, but a 158/5 K/BB ratio is kind of unbelievable.

I wish I could be amazed by it, but I've seen so many outrageous HS stats that it really doesn't even shock me much. :/ Although it is impressive.

I mean when guys like Jeff Clement his 75 HR in high school. David Clyde back in the 70's went 115+ IP and 97IP + consecutively without allowing a run, and had 842 Ks in high school, that's an AVERAGE of 210 Ks per year, which is every batter, every inning for 10 games every season. He was a lefty, and might have been the greatest pitching prospect of all time. He should be a cautionary tale for Strasburg as his career was over at 26 years old from arm injuries.

You could make a case for anyone in the top 10 as the #1 pick in some recent drafts.

Cole, yes.

Rendon, yes.

Bundy, maybe.

Starling, yes.

I don't know if the other arms surpass Matusz/Price. I don't think they touch Strasbrug/Harper. I'd be comfy saying maybe the top 15 in this class would individually slot in the top 5 of some of the recent classes, but probably not the top overall pick since we've have Strasburg/Price/Matusz at the top for arms and Harper as a stick.

Cole, yes.

Rendon, yes.

Bundy, maybe.

Starling, yes.

I don't know if the other arms surpass Matusz/Price. I don't think they touch Strasbrug/Harper. I'd be comfy saying maybe the top 15 in this class would individually slot in the top 5 of some of the recent classes, but probably not the top overall pick since we've have Strasburg/Price/Matusz at the top for arms and Harper as a stick.

You know I like to embellish a little bit for effect ;) 2006 was pretty soft though, 2004 wasn't THAT great either, although I think Verlander went #2 that year. But yeah, I get what you mean, individually there have been some special talents at #1, you could expand that more if Longoria would have gone #1 in 2006, but I think I was higher on him than most at the time.

Actually, that's a good thought. Longoria versus Rendon, who gets the edge?

Sorry but I am taking the advanced college pitcher with great upside over the advanced HS pitcher with great upside every day of the week. Its not even a discussion IMO.

Here is the sticker for debate though, a lot of the college guys don't have NEARLY the upside the HS kids do, but they are closer to their ceiling which limits the risk involved. If it's a Cole versus Bundy debate I absolutely agree with you. If you are debating Hultzen versus Bundy (as much as I love Danny), then it starts to get a little murkier.

Here is the sticker for debate though, a lot of the college guys don't have NEARLY the upside the HS kids do, but they are closer to their ceiling which limits the risk involved. If it's a Cole versus Bundy debate I absolutely agree with you. If you are debating Hultzen versus Bundy (as much as I love Danny), then it starts to get a little murkier.

Yea, I was talking Cole vs Bundy for that post.

But I am taking Jungmann over Bundy as well.

Yea, I was talking Cole vs Bundy for that post.

But I am taking Jungmann over Bundy as well.

Yeah I was going to say I don't know how much I'd really argue Jungmann or Gray in that instance either. Hultzen is kind of an extreme example because he's more "safe" than most.

For all the talk about how great a draft class this is, it's worth distinguishing between a deep class and a class that's premium at the top. Honestly, I'm not super impressed with the top 5 or even top 10 in this draft. They are excellent talents, but not necessarily any better (or even as good) as a team picking in the top 5 would expect to find in other drafts. There is no Stras/Harper in this draft.

What this draft is, is deeeep. After the top 5 or 10 on the board, you just continue to have a very thick class of talent through the first few rounds. There are plenty of guys who will go in the supplemental and subsequent rounds who could be first round talents in other drafts. Even in the second half of the first round you can find plenty of talents comparable to those who will go in the first half. It's an excellent draft to have 12 selections in the first two rounds. It's a fairly average draft to have a top 5 selection.

For all the talk about how great a draft class this is, it's worth distinguishing between a deep class and a class that's premium at the top. Honestly, I'm not super impressed with the top 5 or even top 10 in this draft. They are excellent talents, but not necessarily any better (or even as good) as a team picking in the top 5 would expect to find in other drafts. There is no Stras/Harper in this draft.

What this draft is, is deeeep. After the top 5 or 10 on the board, you just continue to have a very thick class of talent through the first few rounds. There are plenty of guys who will go in the supplemental and subsequent rounds who could be first round talents in other drafts. Even in the second half of the first round you can find plenty of talents comparable to those who will go in the first half. It's an excellent draft to have 12 selections in the first two rounds. It's a fairly average draft to have a top 5 selection.

I don't agree at all honestly. I think it's very deep at the top. You can't complain there is no Strasburg/Harper at the top because there is only one of those every couple years at best. It's all comparative, and it would seem like it was better at the top if there was a clear drop off after a couple picks. Because it's so deep the drop off isn't as severe which makes it seem like they are all so-so picks, but it's not the case. You put Cole in 2006's draft and he is a Strasburg like pick. Just because there is a lot of talent at the top don't mistake it for being more mediocre than other years. There just isn't a pronounced drop off in talent after 3-4 picks like there usually is. I think the guys from 10-15 will still be decidedly better than the guys going 20-25.

You know I like to embellish a little bit for effect ;) 2006 was pretty soft though, 2004 wasn't THAT great either, although I think Verlander went #2 that year. But yeah, I get what you mean, individually there have been some special talents at #1, you could expand that more if Longoria would have gone #1 in 2006, but I think I was higher on him than most at the time.

Actually, that's a good thought. Longoria versus Rendon, who gets the edge?

Hindsight, Longoria (you have the sure thing). Time of the draft, Rendon is a better player.

Hindsight, Longoria (you have the sure thing). Time of the draft, Rendon is a better player.

I was kind of leaning this way too, but I couldn't really remember how strong I felt about Longoria in comparison. I know I felt like he should have been #1 overall, and I've said Rendon should have been #1 until Cole really made his separation early this season, now I could see either one of them.

Archived