Nick Playing First Base Tonight

Nick The Stick

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nah ... He is much more worried about your font and your obsessive thread starting.

Except I'm not calling Buck Showalter "stupid" and acting like I could manage the team better than he can with my fonts, am I ? Speaking of which, I remember you bragging that you once sold tickets for the Orioles:

"Of course, my son did work three summers as a baggage handler and freight loader. With those qualifications, why should I doubt his ability to run an airline ?"

Carl Fox. Wall Street, 1987

If LaRusa can play the best player in the majors at third base a couple games, then I don't see why Buck can't play Kakes at first for a game here or there.

Pujols has real experience at third though.

On top of that, you have Scott and Reimold who have more first base experience than Nick.

On top of all of that, you have Pie in RF and Reimold in LF..Reimold is a natural RFer and Pie has been our LFer for a while now.(now, this could be defensible if RF is regarded as harder to play in Safeco vs LF but Reimold has struggled in LF at Safeco before)

None of this makes any sense.

On top of that, you have Scott and Reimold who have more first base experience than Nick.

On top of all of that, you have Pie in RF and Reimold in LF..Reimold is a natural RFer and Pie has been our LFer for a while now.

I know...was just adding my two cents.

There really is no explanation for this unless Nick is really hurt and cannot play the outfield. In that scenario maybe they are gonna make this a permanant change.

I know...was just adding my two cents.

There really is no explanation for this unless Nick is really hurt and cannot play the outfield. In that scenario maybe they are gonna make this a permanant change.

Buck just basically said he wanted to shake things up and present some roster flexibility for the future...Also, giving Scott arm a day off and getting Vladdy off. Didn't mention Nick's shoulder.

Either way, I don't see much validity to this except maybe roster flexibility but no need to start him at first to do that..just continue to give him time there during IF practice.

On top of all of that, you have Pie in RF and Reimold in LF..Reimold is a natural RFer and Pie has been our LFer for a while now.(now, this could be defensible if RF is regarded as harder to play in Safeco vs LF but Reimold has struggled in LF at Safeco before)

The Outfield perplexes me even more than Nick at first. I mean maybe theres something we don't know. Obviously I have been very critical in this thread and said theres no good reason for this, if hes unhealthy DH him, give him the day off etc. But there could be something, maybe hes been taking some balls there, or something that we don't know. Doesn't justify it but still..

When it comes to the OF, what justification is there for Pie in RF. Hes played like an inning there and hes a natural CF. If you want the three of them out there put Pie in LF, Jones in CF and Nolan in RF...sort of obvious is it not?

Despite Reimold and Scott's vaunted experience at first, isn't it still possible that Markakis is the best defensive first-baseman of the three? Reimold has only started 30 games there in the minors and none in the Majors. Nick is certainly the best athlete of the three, I don't think it is a great leap to assume he might be the best defensive option there. I agree that Reimold in the outfield and Nick at first may not normally be the best defensive alignment but if Nick does have a sore shoulder, then it makes sense so long as you believe that Nick is a better defensive first-baseman than Luke Scott. I have seen Luke Scott play first, it certainly wouldn't shock me if Nick was a better first-baseman.

Despite Reimold and Scott's vaunted experience at first, isn't it still possible that Markakis is the best defensive first-baseman of the three? Reimold has only started 30 games there in the minors and none in the Majors. Nick is certainly the best athlete of the three, I don't think it is a great leap to assume he might be the best defensive option there. I agree that Reimold in the outfield and Nick at first may not normally be the best defensive alignment but if Nick does have a sore shoulder, then it makes sense so long as you believe that Nick is a better defensive first-baseman than Luke Scott. I have seen Luke Scott play first, it certainly wouldn't shock me if Nick was a better first-baseman.

Yes, I think it is possible.

But if Nick is hurt, he shouldn't be playing or should be DH'ing.

This is one of those things where it seems like no matter what you say, an answer can be put in front of you to make the decision wrong.

BTW, if Buck wants to shape up things for the team and Nick, why not bat him first...where he should be batting?

Nick has always been pretty impressive at handling bounces and grounders, which is one reason why he has so many career assists. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the best of the three at 1B either.

That said, I do have to wonder if this has more to do with Luke and his poor decision last night and recent hitting. As in, you're playing because Vlad needs a day off, but you're DHing, and you better start hitting before Lee comes back.

Yes, I think it is possible.

But if Nick is hurt, he shouldn't be playing or should be DH'ing.

This is one of those things where it seems like no matter what you say, an answer can be put in front of you to make the decision wrong.

BTW, if Buck wants to shape up things for the team and Nick, why not bat him first...where he should be batting?

It worked for Longoria. He was struggling, Maddon put him in the leadoff spot, and he's now swinging well again and back in the cleanup spot. Its worth a shot with Kakes, thats for certain!

You know how Pujols got real experience at third? By being put at third.

I don't understand what the big fuss is. Sure, it might not make the most sense on the surface, but I trust Buck knows something we don't about Nick's ability to handle it. I'm sure it just comes down to Buck feeling like Nick was the best capable defensive 1Bmen he could put there today.

BTW, before this season it had been 10 years since Pujols had played any games at 3B.

Archived