O's to take Archie Bradley? Nope, Dylan Bundy!

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On my phone, so I'm not sure how to link. Jon Heyman reported on Twitter that there is a rumor that the O's will take HS RHP Archie Bradley #4. He wonders if the O's would really pass on Hueltzen if the first 3 are Cole, Rendon, Bauer.

With Hultzen being from the area, I don't think they pass. Having a geographic advantage is something you have to consider.

I'm no amateur draft expert, so someone fill me in: Would picking Bradley be the equivalent of the Hobgood pick?

I don't think it's quite that bad, but I'd be surprised if there were many draft boards that have Bradley rated above Bundy, Hultzen, and/or Starling.

I don't think it's quite that bad, but I'd be surprised if there were many draft boards that have Bradley rated above Bundy, Hultzen, and/or Starling.

Yeah, not QUITE as bad, but I will say the part that bothers me about it is that I keep hearing the "S" word associated with this change in pick. (Signability) Pretty sure we all remember the last time that popped up for us (Hobgood). Your first round pick is NOT an area you should be trying to save nickles and dimes. If you want to do that, don't sign Vlad.

Bradley has been rated the 2nd or 3rd best HS pitcher in this draft, not sure if he's a Hobgood pick because he has a football scholarship to the University of Oklahoma and has some pretty aggressive (just below Bundy) bonus demands. He is generally viewed as a 5-10 pick.

Bradley has been rated the 2nd or 3rd best HS pitcher in this draft, not sure if he's a Hobgood pick because he has a football scholarship to the University of Oklahoma and has some pretty aggressive (just below Bundy) bonus demands. He is generally viewed as a 5-10 pick.

Well you have to also add that there are so many highly rated college picks that just because he's the 2nd best HS pick doesn't necessarily mean he's top 10. I have him right around that area, but I would rate most of the top college guys ahead of him easily. Ok fastball, I think will lose some velo when he's on a pro schedule, should hang around low 90's though, great curveball (but then again I remember another HS arm with a similar 1-2 pitch punch that hasn't worked out so well). He's not a 2 year and ready guy either.

Thanks for the info! I just noticed in Roch's blog entry this morning that he mentioned that the O's really like his 98 MPH fastball and devastating curveball. Sorry, I'd link it up but I'm on my phone and I figure all of you know how to find it. ;)

Sports Guy, I think you already know the answer to that... Unfortunately.

I've heard great things about him, but don't remember exactly where.

I can't imagine they take him if Bundy's still on the board. If Bundy, Cole and Rendon are all gone, I guess I could see it. I'm not sure what I'd think about the move. He's a helium guy who's making a strong late-season push to be picked very high. I'd imagine his upside is better than Hultzen and Bauer, but not as high as Bundy's.

Archived