2012 payroll

Sports Guy

A look at what our payroll looks like, by position, as of right now for next season:

1st-???

2nd- BRob: 10 million

SS- ???

3rd- Reynolds: 7.83 million

LF- ???

CF- Jones: 6 million*

RF- Nick: 12.35 million

C- Wieters: 2 million*

DH: Scott: 6.5 million**

Pie: 1.3 million*

Reimold: 425K*

Andino: 550K*

SP:

Guthrie: 7.5 million*

BMat: 500K***

Britton: 400K

Arrieta: 400K

Tillman: 400K****

BB: 400K****

Pen:

Gregg: 5.8 million

JJ: 1.6 million*

Berken: 400K

Koji: Has option..number not listed

*estimated

** Scott wouldn't be offered arb right now and if he would, he basically gets no raise....Obviously his situation depends on a lot of factors right now

*** Not sure what BMat's contract is...He is making over 1M this year but he signed the ML deal and I think bonuses are tied into that...So, not sure if he is getting league minimum next year or if his deal next year will be based on the 1.3M he is making this year.

**** Tillman and BB, unless traded, will fill some role on the team next year I would assume, just not sure where yet.

If all of the listed players are on the team next year, they will be paid in the area of 65 million IMO.

Now, you have other questions, besides the ones I just mentioned:

1) Is Guthrie an Oriole next year?

2) Will Reimold and Pie split time in LF or do they get someone else?

3) Who fills the pen that is currently on the team/in the system?

The O's payroll is roughly 87 million right now and that is before players meeting any kind of bonuses. If the Orioles are "stretching the payroll" right now, I don't think its safe to assume that we go into next season with a payroll much higher, if higher at all, than what we are seeing right now.

If that is the case, then the team has somewhere in the range of 20-25 million to spend on 1st, SS, LF, rotation and pen.

With those options, you can put Klein and BB in the pen, Tillman in the rotation, LF can be platooned with Reimold and Pie. That leaves you more money to spend on SS and 1st...Hopefully you can re-sign Hardy for 7ish million, leaving you 15ish million for first base...So, if you really want to stretch things, maybe you can add Fielder, especially if they backload the deal some where he makes more money when the BRob and Markakis contracts come off the books(assuming Nick isn't further extended).

But then, you are essentially adding Fielder to the current team and making no further uppgrades and just hoping that the players we have get better.

Also remember, the 65M doesn't include Koji..His option would probably be at least 3M, which is his salary this year.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the key thing I have been trying to stress when people say they want to extend Scott and Guthrie. The room just isn't there for it long-term.

With the way JJ is pitching, if he could go from a $400K increase to $990K increase last year, then he should be able to hit at least $2M this off-season.

Also, do we have any deferred money to Guerrero next season or is that in another season?

Every offseason we say the Orioles should be able to fill the bullpen with inside the organization arms and every year they go outside, so I won't be surprised if they do that. Accardo could be brought back after being non-tendered.

But really it all comes down to the fact that the Orioles don't have nearly as much payroll flexibility moving forward that we would wish they had.

This is the key thing I have been trying to stress when people say they want to extend Scott and Guthrie. The room just isn't there for it long-term.

With the way JJ is pitching, if he could go from a $400K increase to $990K increase last year, then he should be able to hit at least $2M this off-season.

Also, do we have any deferred money to Guerrero next season or is that in another season?

Every offseason we say the Orioles should be able to fill the bullpen with inside the organization arms and every year they go outside, so I won't be surprised if they do that. Accardo could be brought back after being non-tendered.

But really it all comes down to the fact that the Orioles don't have nearly as much payroll flexibility moving forward that we would wish they had.

Bingo!!!!

Bingo!!!!

While doubtful, I hope the Orioles try to unload Gregg in August as a waiver claim.

At the same time, as much as I like Koji, I don't know how I feel about him being on the 2012 team.

Hopefully the Orioles don't make silly signings like the Accardo and Izzy signings, wasting over a $1M more than they need to.

JJ Johnson could be one of our best trade chips this off-season and that could help with payroll.

And maybe Roberts will pull a Meche and retire if he can't play at a high level anymore.

While doubtful, I hope the Orioles try to unload Gregg in August as a waiver claim.

At the same time, as much as I like Koji, I don't know how I feel about him being on the 2012 team.

Hopefully the Orioles don't make silly signings like the Accardo and Izzy signings, wasting over a $1M more than they need to.

JJ Johnson could be one of our best trade chips this off-season and that could help with payroll.

I see no reason not to have Koji on the 2012 team unless some team offers you a lot in a trade for him or he suffers some significant season ending injury.

JJ may be our best trade chip this deadline.

If Guthrie keeps throwing cookies every game with men on, he's not going to have any trade value.

This is kind of what I was saying the other day about dealing him to Cincy. I like Guthrie, but it would be intersting to see if a team that plays in a hitters park would be willing to deal for him.

This thread just re-hashes what most folks thought, the O's are not sitting on a cash cow here, and 80 or so million seems to be a strech for them. It will be hard to build a winner in this division, and they are already behind everyone else as it is.

If the Orioles can swap Markakis ala Vernon Wells, do they do it? Would that trade be nixed?

The Jays are sitting rather comfortably after losing Rios and Wells and their albatrosses. Of course, they were able to allocate a lot of that freed money into the brilliant (and lucky) Jose Bautista contract. Now, they have a superstar bat, and the ability to go out and add another.

A look at what our payroll looks like, by position, as of right now for next season:

1st-???

SS- ???

LF- ???

C- Wieters: 2 million*

DH: Scott: 6.5 million**

Pie: 1.3 million*

Reimold: 425K*

Andino: 550K*

SP:

Guthrie: 7.5 million*

BMat: 500K***

Britton: 400K

Arrieta: 400K

Tillman: 400K****

BB: 400K****

Pen:

Berken: 400K

Koji: Has option..number not listed

*estimated

** Scott wouldn't be offered arb right now and if he would, he basically gets no raise....Obviously his situation depends on a lot of factors right now

*** Not sure what BMat's contract is...He is making over 1M this year but he signed the ML deal and I think bonuses are tied into that...So, not sure if he is getting league minimum next year or if his deal next year will be based on the 1.3M he is making this year.

**** Tillman and BB, unless traded, will fill some role on the team next year I would assume, just not sure where yet.

If all of the listed players are on the team next year, they will be paid in the area of 65 million IMO.

Now, you have other questions, besides the ones I just mentioned:

1) Is Guthrie an Oriole next year?

2) Will Reimold and Pie split time in LF or do they get someone else?

3) Who fills the pen that is currently on the team/in the system?

The O's payroll is roughly 87 million right now and that is before players meeting any kind of bonuses. If the Orioles are "stretching the payroll" right now, I don't think its safe to assume that we go into next season with a payroll much higher, if higher at all, than what we are seeing right now.

If that is the case, then the team has somewhere in the range of 20-25 million to spend on 1st, SS, LF, rotation and pen.

With those options, you can put Klein and BB in the pen, Tillman in the rotation, LF can be platooned with Reimold and Pie. That leaves you more money to spend on SS and 1st...Hopefully you can re-sign Hardy for 7ish million, leaving you 15ish million for first base...So, if you really want to stretch things, maybe you can add Fielder, especially if they backload the deal some where he makes more money when the BRob and Markakis contracts come off the books(assuming Nick isn't further extended).

But then, you are essentially adding Fielder to the current team and making no further uppgrades and just hoping that the players we have get better.

Also remember, the 65M doesn't include Koji..His option would probably be at least 3M, which is his salary this year.

This will change but here is how I see it now. Changes from your post in black.

1st-???

SS- ??? ( Agree its a question but think Hardy at 7M is possible. It will require a 3 year contract which I think the O's will do)

LF- Reimold 450K

C- Wieters: 2 million* (450K, Wieters is not arbitration eligible this off season)

DH: ??? Scott: 6.5 million** If Scott does not improve his production, whether he needs surgery or not, he is a non tender candidate and the O's are looking for a DH)

Pie: 1.3 million

Tatum/Joseph: 420K

Andino: (975K, He is arbitration eligible)

3B/1B: Snyder/Bell: 414K

SP:

Guthrie: 7.5 million* (Whether Guthrie stays will be determined in mid July; Right now it looks like he is traded--but things change)

BMat: 750K (Cots shows salary plus bonus)

Britton: 430K

Arrieta: 450K

Tillman: 420K****

BB: 440K****

Pen:

Berken: 430K

Koji: 3M

Accardo: 1.2M

LHR: ??? (Maybe McCurry: 414k)

LHR: ??? ( Maybe Viola: 414K)

That is 62.527M without Guthrie, Scott, Vlad, Lee, Gonzo, and Duch.

The O's need to add a 1B, DH, Maybe a SP, and a LHR. if they resign Hardy.

There are a ton of questions to be answered before 2012 and they include:

1) Can Roberts stay healthy enough to hold down a starting positions?

2) Can Nick find his stroke?

3) Will Vlad or Lee turn up their performance in the last 4 months? Right now it is not looking good.

4) If the O's are not in contention in mid July, what can the O's get for Guthrie?

5) Can Bergy and Tillman improve enough to be part of the rotation next year?

6) Can the O's re-sign Hardy? Will Hardy stay healthy enough that the O's will want him?

7) Is Reimold the everyday leftfielder?

8) Will McCurry and Viola be ready to produce as lefties in the pen next year?

9) What does Scott's injury mean to his production in 2012?

10) What bats and starters can the O's afford to add next year?

There are a lot more questions then answers when you are asking in early June.

Archived