2nd Round - Jason Esposito - 3B - Vanderbilt University

Don't give up on Givens yet. The kid is an athlete who not only is learning a new position he is adjusting to Professional pitching. He is hitting .289 at Aberdeen after a poor showing in Delmarva. He has a few years to go before he can be considered washed up!

I would like to see what he can do on the mound.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only the Orioles could draft a second round pick, one ranked lower than other guys who were there, and still figure out a way not to get a deal done with that player.

Let's wait until Monday until we slaughter them, as you never know, they still might sign all three.

Let's wait until Monday until we slaughter them, as you never know, they still might sign all three.
I know and I actually suspect they will sign him...I just find it funny that these things always happen.

I wonder if players just feel that the Orioles will screw them up, so they decide to change their demands because they will never make any real money?

I am only half joking about that btw.

I know and I actually suspect they will sign him...I just find it funny that these things always happen.

I wonder if players just feel that the Orioles will screw them up, so they decide to change their demands because they will never make any real money?

I think it's more likely that the O's are just really tough negotiators. We have Schoop, a really nice prospect, in house. We have the potential to sign Delmonico. We get a pick next year if we don't sign him. He's a senior next year if he doesn't sign.

We have all of the leverage here and we understand that. From a purely financial standpoint, why give an inch?

I wouldn't be half-joking about this. I think it's a legitimate concern. How many position players have we developed over the last ten years? How many pitchers have we seen go through the minors well, then come up and seem to have no idea on how to pitch?

I guess we should just give this kid anything he wants according to some here. The kid is the one with more to lose in this scenario. He made a verbal promise before the draft then decided to go back on that promise to get more money. Now if he does not get signed he loses all leverage and will probably get peanuts next year unless he becomes a 1st round type player. Whomever is advising him is more than likely giving him bad advice at this point. Good luck to him but if he does not want to sign we get an extra pick next year and we get Delmonico.

I guess we should just give this kid anything he wants according to some here. The kid is the one with more to lose in this scenario. He made a verbal promise before the draft then decided to go back on that promise to get more money. Now if he does not get signed he loses all leverage and will probably get peanuts next year unless he becomes a 1st round type player. Whomever is advising him is more than likely giving him bad advice at this point. Good luck to him but if he does not want to sign we get an extra pick next year and we get Delmonico.

I agree with you but based on where the Orioles picked him, he wasn't far from a 1st round pick. I dont know if he wants to take that chance (going bk to school) unless he or his agent feel maybe the 2011 draft was filled with so much talent that he wouldve been 1st round in a normal draft year and/or maybe his junior year was a down year. Some places early on had him back of 1st round or supplemental. Close to the draft I think he was predicted at somewhere 50-75th pick so he was sort of picked in the right spot here by the Orioles. It seems like a lot of people dont like this pick because they believe he's not one of these high schoolers with an amazing ceiling years from now. college and maturing can hurt or help your draft pick. e.g. if Bundy went to Texas and sucked as a pitcher, he might not be a top draft pick in 3 years. anything can happen. college guys are 3 years older so scouts have a better idea of overall development (for better or for worse)

I don't know what kind of $ they've offered him. I think someone said slot for Esposito's spot would be like 550-600k but again i have no idea. the guy batted like .340something for Vanderbilt. I know last year they said he was looking like a sure 1st rounder. if he doesnt sign and goes back to vanderbilt and hits like he did sophomore year, do you think he could be 1st round in 2012?

when people say this draft is a total fail if we don't sign him they purvey that sentiment.

I think those people, while saying that this draft would "be a fail" if we don't sign Esposito, are in no way saying that he should be given anything he wants. It would be unfortunate and not the orioles' fault, but it happens.

Archived