2nd Round - Jason Esposito - 3B - Vanderbilt University

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are saying 30k over slot. I suspect the Orioles would have given him that or slightly less to have signed earlier.

Honestly, I think if Espo came to Jordan and said "I'll sign up right now and get my career started for 600K," Jordan would have done it. Jason was demanding 7 figures up until August.

Honestly, I think if Espo came to Jordan and said "I'll sign up right now and get my career started for 600K," Jordan would have done it. Jason was demanding 7 figures up until August.
Yea, I agree.

That is right around slot money for the position and it gets him going.

It also could have meant him starting in Bowie next year or in Bowie very quickly next year.

This seemed to be a case of a player overvaluing himself and being short sighted at the same time.

Yea, I agree.

It also could have meant him starting in Bowie next year or in Bowie very quickly next year.

This seemed to be a case of a player overvaluing himself and being short sighted at the same time.

I am also thinking that at only 30K over that MLB would not have had an issue approving that deal quickly.

Yea, I agree.

I will be shocked if he starts above Frederick next year. See Wieters and Reimold.

I will be shocked if he starts above Frederick next year. See Wieters and Reimold.
Yea I agree...but he could have potentially started there had he gotten 200-300 pro at bats this year and really tore it up.

In all likelihood, his best case scenario is that he ends the year at Bowie next year.

How much extra did he get by holding out for more?

Doesn't sound like he got anything at all. He signed for about 30K over slot. I'm sure that's not what he was holding out for. Oh well, he won't be the last player to get bad advice. Jordan is an excellent negotiator and he rarely loses out on guys he really likes.

Yep, but it's in the past now. It's time for him to go play baseball. He won't be the last kid to get bad advice. Either way, let's hope the Orioles scouts were right about his bat and not the scouts who said he has a slider speed bat.

Yep, but it's in the past now. It's time for him to go play baseball. He won't be the last kid to get bad advice. Either way, let's hope the Orioles scouts were right about his bat and not the scouts who said he has a slider speed bat.

I agree. All the negotiation drama needs to be thrown out the window the second a guy signs. He's an Oriole now.

Archived