2nd Round - Jason Esposito - 3B - Vanderbilt University

Having Schoop (at Hi-A) and Delmonico (not even signed yet out of HS) adds nothing to our leverage with Esposito.

I would agree with you, but then I'd be wrong. Couple those with the fact that we have a comp pick and we know that he loses leverage next year and there's no doubt who has the leverage in this negotiation.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would agree with you, but then I'd be wrong. Couple those with the fact that we have a comp pick and we know that he loses leverage next year and there's no doubt who has the leverage in this negotiation.

I agree that the Orioles have the leverage in the situation. The comp pick and Esposito having to re-enter the draft as a senior give the Orioles leverage. Schoop and Delmonico do nothing.

I agree that the Orioles have the leverage in the situation. The comp pick and Esposito having to re-enter the draft as a senior give the Orioles leverage. Schoop and Delmonico do nothing.

I'm not claiming they're the equivalent to a 6 foot blonde begging to take you home at the same time your drunkin ugly girlfriend is yelling at you. Still, having Schoop in the organization and the option of acquiring Delmonico means the O's have less of a reason to be desperate to sign Esposito.

I really wish we'd have gone pitching with this pick. Oh well.

FWIW I hope he doesn't sign. I was never happy with this pick to begin with, and saw him more as a third round talent.

I still don't see why you wouldn't want him signed. I would rather have a 3rd round talent in the system now then take my chances with an unprotected 2nd round pick next year. The O's are not in a position to delay adding talent into the system.

Now if comes down to him or Delmonico I could see where you are coming from. Of course if the Jays spend as big as I have read they might then I will be annoyed if one of these guys don't get signed because the O's ran out of budget.

I'm not claiming they're the equivalent to a 6 foot blonde begging to take you home at the same time your drunkin ugly girlfriend is yelling at you. Still, having Schoop in the organization and the option of acquiring Delmonico means the O's have less of a reason to be desperate to sign Esposito.

I really wish we'd have gone pitching with this pick. Oh well.

You don't draft for need and you don't sign guys based on need. You get as much talent as possible at any position possible.

What you already means nothing. It's all about depth and hedging your bets.

FWIW I hope he doesn't sign. I was never happy with this pick to begin with, and saw him more as a third round talent.

Everyone else saw him as a possible 1st round pick. There's no advantage in not signing him unless he's asking for an unreasonable amount that they could use to convince multiple overslot guys like Hockaday, Davies, and Roney.

Everyone else saw him as a possible 1st round pick. There's no advantage in not signing him unless he's asking for an unreasonable amount that they could use to convince multiple overslot guys like Hockaday, Davies, and Roney.

He was pretty much an early 2nd-round talent on most boards, but I'd rather have that extra pick next year, than Esposito this year. It's simply because I don't believe in his bat. I hope I'm wrong if he signs.

He was pretty much an early 2nd-round talent on most boards, but I'd rather have that extra pick next year, than Esposito this year. It's simply because I don't believe in his bat. I hope I'm wrong if he signs.

How much better could we do next year with an unprotected 2nd round pick? Esposito wasn't a reach, and we really can't expect anything better without expecting to dramatically overpay

How much better could we do next year with an unprotected 2nd round pick? Esposito wasn't a reach, and we really can't expect anything better without expecting to dramatically overpay

I guess the easiest way for me to reply is to say that I am not fond of many of Jordan's draft choices, and Esposito was one of them. I think it's very possible to get a better talent next year than Esposito. But if JJ is still here, you are probably right.

No one saw him as a first rounder, not in this deep draft.

Archived