We have ourselves some OK positional players...

NewMarketSean

The position you are taking is silly, and you should just cut your losses and stop. We could all come up with 25 examples of guys who looked bad for 30-50 PA and turned out to be good, or vice versa. There is nothing Matt Angle is going to do in that amount of time that is going to convince me of much. Eventually, he will be a guy whose OBP falls into the .310-.350 range. His SLG will be .350 tops. The first 30-50 PA aren't going to tell me where his OBP is eventually going to fall. In 50 PA, the difference between .310 and .350 is 2 times on base.

I think its more then just the averages. Is he a difference maker on the bases. Can he leadoff? Is he patient? How does he field? Do you have or can you get a better leadoff hitter? There is a lot more to it then 2 base hits. And the O's will have to make a judgement over the winter. So I hope they take a good look in Sept.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think its more then just the averages. Is he a difference maker on the bases. Can he leadoff? Is he patient? How does he field? Do you have or can you get a better leadoff hitter? There is a lot more to it then 2 base hits. And the O's will have to make a judgement over the winter. So I hope they take a good look in Sept.
You already know that he has spped and can field. The rest of your stuff is poor. None of that can be verified in one month's worth of at bats as a part time player.

Frobby is right, your argument is silly and that is putting it nicely.

Yep...If Hoes can't hack it at second and if he can't be a top level defender in CF, it seems to me that he is a good trade candidate and not someone who you wait on to hand him a job.

I think it depends on what the team needs. If the power comes from Reynolds, Jones, Hardy, and Davis then what the team needs is OBP. If Hoes can play a decent leftfield and for a high OBP, he might fit the need. Besides he is so young the power may come.

I think it depends on what the team needs. If the power comes from Reynolds, Jones, Hardy, and Davis then what the team needs is OBP. If Hoes can play a decent leftfield and for a high OBP, he might fit the need.
Very true...but there are a lot of ifs there and because of that, you don't just sit back and wait on Hoes.

You already know that he has spped and can field. The rest of your stuff is poor. None of that can be verified in one month's worth of at bats as a part time player.

Frobby is right, your argument is silly and that is putting it nicely.

So you are granting that he offers three things the O's obviously need. Speed, base stealing ability and defense. That sounds like a fit if he hits.

A month is all the O's may get to make the decision. Then we will see what they do over the winter.

Very true...but there are a lot of ifs there and because of that, you don't just sit back and wait on Hoes.

That is the question. I am not giving an answer here on Hoes. I am asking. Is he projected as a the long term answer in LF whenever he arrives? If so, What kind of move is made this off season. One year filler? Internal or external? How much do you spend considering the other needs on the club?

So you are granting that he offers three things the O's obviously need. Speed, base stealing ability and defense. That sounds like a fit if he hits.

A month is all the O's may get to make the decision. Then we will see what they do over the winter.

Yes, he fits as a potential 5th OFer if you are able to carry that many.

That is the question. I am not giving an answer here on Hoes. I am asking. Is he projected as a the long term answer in LF whenever he arrives? If so, What kind of move is made this off season. One year filler? Internal or external? How much do you spend considering the other needs on the club?
The Orioles need to get a true answer in LF.

I feel like I know the answers to most of these questions. Yes, he will be a very good baserunner. Yes, he is patient. Yes, he is a very good defensive player. No, he has no power whatsoever. So what it all boils down to is, how often can he get himself on base? If you are optimistic, you could hope for the 2003 version of BRob, who at age 25 had a .704 OPS, except that Angle has a little less power than BRob had, even then.

I feel like I know the answers to most of these questions. Yes, he will be a very good baserunner. Yes, he is patient. Yes, he is a very good defensive player. No, he has no power whatsoever. So what it all boils down to is, how often can he get himself on base? If you are optimistic, you could hope for the 2003 version of BRob, who at age 25 had a .704 OPS, except that Angle has a little less power than BRob had, even then.

For this team I don't think the OPS of the leadoff hitter is as important as the OBP? I'd love a 900 OPS guy but being realistic the focus should be on can he set the table?

If you have no power, its going to be very difficult to be a good OBP guy.

Ludicrous. It will be difficult to be a good slugging guy without power; OBP has nothing to do with power. Only plate discipline and contact.

That said, you are correct: Angle is at best a pinch runner and defensive replacement on the O's, let alone a good baseball team. His bat will barely carry as a centerfielder.

Ludicrous. It will be difficult to be a good slugging guy without power; OBP has nothing to do with power. Only plate discipline and contact.

That said, you are correct: Angle is at best a pinch runner and defensive replacement on the O's, let alone a good baseball team. His bat will barely carry as a centerfielder.

Who is the O's leadoff hitter next year if Roberts is not healthy?

I like the thought of getting some speed on the bases...we have a couple decent base stealers and a couple speedy players but not a 25+ SB type of player. I don't care if Angle has no power...if he gets on base, can steal some, plays good defense then I'd be happy maybe even putting him in the 9 hole and focusing on other glaring needs such as 1B, 2B, and pitching.

We are not going to have an All star squad out there so sometimes just putting some pieces in place to help the great players along may not be a terrible idea...what I mean by that is if we have a big bat coming up then wouldn't an OBP/SB type of player be good to have in front of a OPS/HR type of player?

Of course, first Angle needs to translate numbers to the ML. 50PA or not, its another factor to look at next year in addition to his MiL numbers, off season training, and his 2012 ST performance.

Archived