Should I be interested in Jacob Petit or Tyler Wilson?

Frobby

Jacob Petit was our 42nd round pick in 2010, and was already 23 years old on draft day. We sent him to Bluefield, where he posted a pretty nice 2.81 ERA and had one successful start at Aberdeen.

This year, he started at Delmarva, posted a pretty mediocre 4.42 ERA but got promoted to Frederick, where he is suddenly lights out -- 1.07 ERA in six starts after 6 innings of shutout ball tonight. He's already 24, and will be 25 in October, but that's the result of his age when drafted, not particularly slow progress in the minors. So, should he be of interest to me as a dark horse prospect?

On a similar note, what should I make of Tyler Wilson, our 2011 10th rounder? We gave him 2 warm up appearances in the GCL and now he's had two nice games at Aberdeen, including a 5 inning, 3 hit, 1 run outing tonight. He's 21 years old, turning 22 in September.

I'd be interested in comments from anyone who has seen these guys or has some insight I can't get from the stats page.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen either in person. Unless he pitches his brains out, Pettit is org filler from what I can see. He could certainly be a Brad Bergesen type... ya know, one of those unheralded players that just pitches to the top with very little fanfare. However, it was clear Pettit was not in the Orioles plans as a prospect when they started him as a 23 year old in the GCL.

I like Tyler Wilson and the stuff he's slingin over the plate. I think he'll wind up on the Top 30 this year somewhere.

I'm not much of a scout, but I saw Pettit pitch on 8/4 for the Keys. He was in the low-to-mid 80's, occasionally hitting upper 80's, and threw a lot of change-ups and curves. He seemed to have solid command, and he was able to keep the hitters off balance, but his stuff definitely wasn't flashy.

I'm not much of a scout, but I saw Pettit pitch on 8/4 for the Keys. He was in the low-to-mid 80's, occasionally hitting upper 80's, and threw a lot of change-ups and curves. He seemed to have solid command, and he was able to keep the hitters off balance, but his stuff definitely wasn't flashy.

Yeah, I was at this game too. The change-up really kept the opposing hitters off balance. In fact, in one inning the opposing team just had everyone try to bunt for a base hit to combat the change if I recall correctly.

I am a UVA fan and saw Tyler Wilson a lot. I thought he was a great pick where he was drafted, as he does not have outstanding stuff, but he is a smart kid that really knows how to pitch. His command is good and he has a pretty good curveball to go along with a fastball in the low 90s. As of right now, I think he could be valuable in relief at some point in the near future, but if his secondary stuff develops a little more, I think he could have a chance at being a back of the rotation guy.

He has kind of a funky delivery, but I certainly do not have enough knowledge to know whether it is good or bad for his arm/shoulder. We'll see, but I think he is someone to keep an eye on.

Petit is an org guy with a low to mid 80s fastball who can pitch well against the lower minor league hitters but will probably find it hard to compete against the upper minor league hitters. Wilson reminds me of Ryan Berry light. It's too early to say what he can or can't become, but I would say he's most likely a setup guy at best.

• 2 weeks later...

Petit sounds a bit like Kenny Moreland. Low 80s but some secondary stuff to keep hitters off balance. Moreland seems to have topped out at Frederick and has been moved all over the organization over the years to meet team/organization needs. Kenny may be done after this year. He always had a very nice BB/KO ration but did suffer from giving up homers a bit, as you would expect.

Archived