Should I be interested in Jacob Petit or Tyler Wilson?

Frobby

That article states that he throws his fastball 90-92. Tony stated that he threw mid 80's. Has he gained that much velocity or is it the different radar guns used.

Definitely different radar guns. He's been mostly what RVABird said, 86-90. Maybe he topped at 92 once, but he definitely doesn't throw 90-92.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both these players finished strong. Jake Pettit threw five innings of one-hit shutout ball on Friday, to finish 7-0 for the Keys with a 1.62 ERA. It's pretty mysterious why he was so effective at Frederick after being pretty mediocre at Delmarva (5-4, 4.42 ERA).

Tyler Wilson threw 6 shutout innings on Saturday to finish with a 2.10 ERA at Aberdeen in 6 starts, with a 24-4 K/BB ratio. Solid start for the 10th-round pick in 2011.

Petit won the Keys' playoff opener and the final game of the series, each time allowing just one run in 6 IP. So, that's 7-0 in the regular season with a 1.62 ERA, 2-0 in the playoffs with a 1.50 ERA. He may just be an organizational arm, but he's clearly doing something right. He's got me paying attention despite his age and so-so velocity.

I wish I saw the charts on Monday night for Game five against Potomac because he was hitting 91 on the Keys radar gun. I saw a little extra out of that arm of his and it was nice to see after he struggled with command and velo of his fastball in game one of the Divisional series.

To me, his changeup could be considered as fringe-plus because it's better than above average. He spots it well and it has great movement to it, leaving hitters way out in front on empty swings. He's smart, he pitches backwards, and he's had success at high-A well over two months. He's on the radar for sure, and it'll be interesting to see if he starts back at Frederick next season or makes a step up to Bowie.

• 1 year later...

Pettit's last AA start before his promotion to AAA-Norfolk:

JACOB PETTIT O (vs. AA-Akron, 5/03)

IP:. 7

H:o 6

R:O 2

BB: 1

SO: 4

Pitches: 89 (58 Strikes, 31 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.86 (AA-Bowie)

Pettit today:

JACOB PETTIT O (vs. AA-Akron, 5/23)

IP:. 4 *

H:o 7

R:O 4

BB: 1

SO: 3

Pitches: 71 (46 Strikes, 25 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.38 (AA-Bowie)

* After a 1-hour rain delay in between the top and the bottom of the 5th innings, Pettit was replaced by another pitcher (Matt Bischoff.)

Pettit's first (and only bonafide) start for AAA-Norfolk. His last start on May 18th was on one days' rest, as he had just pitched 2.67 innings out of the bullpen only 2 days before.

JACOB PETTIT O (vs. AAA-Syracuse, 5/11)

IP:. 6.33

H:o 8

R:O 2

BB: 0

SO: 7

Pitches: 91 (64 Strikes, 27 Balls)

2013 ERA: 2.82 (AAA-Norfolk)

• 1 month later...

Pettit threw seven innings of shutout, two hit ball last night. He's 3-1 with a 2.37 ERA at Norfolk in four starts.

Pettit isn't really seen as a prospect, but all he does is win. He's 33-16 in our minor league system and has won at every stop after his initial 3-5 stint at Bluefield. I'll bet he gets his cup of coffee in the majors one day.

Jake Petit was hitting upper 80's low 90's on the radar gun in Richmond. Tyler Wilson pitched a wonderful game in Ridhmond, he shut out the Squirrels for 5 innings, walked 4 gave up 4 hits, but came up big when he had to. I believe his fastball was was upper 80's low 90's and curve low 80's. Recollection is poor, but I will take notice when they come to town again.

• 2 weeks later...

1 hit over 7 innings.

Only 84 pitches.

TYLER WILSON O (vs. AA-Richmond, 7/13)

IP:. 7

H:o 1

R:O 0

BB: 0

SO: 7

Pitches: 84 (57 Strikes, 27 Balls)

2013 ERA: 2.17 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

15 (10 Strikes, 5 Balls)

19 (13 Strikes, 6 Balls)

10 (61 Strikes, 4 Balls)

10 (61 Strikes, 4 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 4 Balls)

10 (91 Strikes, 1 Balls)

91 (61 Strikes, 3 Balls)

Wilson just keeps pitching successfully. I was glad to see his well deserved promotion to Bowie and so far he's proving he was ready for it. He's never been greatly heralded, but I sure like him and I suspect he is gradually moving up in the ranking on many people's prospect lists.

Archived