Whoopsie Daisy!!!!!!!

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ed Reed's name isn't mentioned. Tavares Gooden's is, though.

I had figured since a lot of it started in 2002 that Reed probably "shouldn't" have been implicated. Of course that doesn't mean he might not have known anything, since he's pretty passionate about the team he played for. Given the time frame I'm not surprised Gooden would have been involved. Than again my opinion of him is pretty low based on his performance.

I can remember having an SI which had an article questioning whether Miami should drop football. There were some in the article that advocated this b/c their transgressions at the time brought so much shame upon the school. The last thing I remember was in 1995 they got a 1 year ban and 3 years probation and that was for Luke's "pay for play" scheme and according to a google search "impermissable financial aid" dispensed to football players as well as improper benefits.

The question is, will they get the dreaded charge of "lack of institutional control?" If what has been written is true, is this worse than Ohio State?

I can remember having an SI which had an article questioning whether Miami should drop football. There were some in the article that advocated this b/c their transgressions at the time brought so much shame upon the school. The last thing I remember was in 1995 they got a 1 year ban and 3 years probation and that was for Luke's "pay for play" scheme and according to a google search "impermissable financial aid" dispensed to football players as well as improper benefits.

The question is, will they get the dreaded charge of "lack of institutional control?" If what has been written is true, is this worse than Ohio State?

Miles worse than OSU, unfortunately. (Michigan fan here)

Ohio State will get a slap on the wrist. Miami might be torched if this stuff can be corroborated.

We don't know the full extent of OSU's punishment yet, but using USC as a benchmark (they got 4-years probation, 2-year postseason ban, loss of 30 scholarships over 3 years...and that was for indiscretions related to just one player) then Miami ought to be expecting to feel the effects of this for the next 5-10 years.

Also, for Terps fans looking ahead to the season-opener, since current players are allegedly involved in this, we could see some suspensions handed down that could affect Miami on the field right away. I wonder if Al Golden is missing Temple yet?

Wow, did I just type the words "missing Temple"?

We don't know the full extent of OSU's punishment yet' date=' but using USC as a benchmark (they got 4-years probation, 2-year postseason ban, loss of 30 scholarships over 3 years...and that was for indiscretions related to just one player) then Miami ought to be expecting to feel the effects of this for the next 5-10 years.

Also, for Terps fans looking ahead to the season-opener, since current players are allegedly involved in this, we could see some suspensions handed down that could affect Miami on the field right away. I wonder if Al Golden is missing Temple yet?

Wow, did I just type the words "missing Temple"?[/quote']

I'm thinking that they won't know anything by then in order to make certain players ineligible. I'm not sure it matters though b/c a program like Miami is deep. Last year we watched their backup freshman QB beat the Terps.

I'm thinking that they won't know anything by then in order to make certain players ineligible.

I don't know, the NCAA did come down with a quick ruling on Terrelle Pryor & Co., even though the ruling ridiculously allowed them to play in the bowl game. Look at it this way, if the current players involved in this are eventually ruled ineligible, Miami will be forced to vacate the win (assuming they win) anyway. So why not just rule on it ahead of time and give the Hurricanes a fair chance to compete with the knowledge that if they do win it won't be taken away from them down the road?

EDIT: The other possibility is that Miami could suspend any involved players on their own until the NCAA rules, just as a way to try to begin to move on from this fiasco.

I was listening to Mike & Mike this AM and they had NCAA President Mark Emmert on. He made a very interesting point. He said that he suspects that certain athletic programs are doing their own little cost/benefit analyses and unfortunately some schools are coming to the conclusion that the benefits associated w/winning big far outweigh the potential costs of getting caught. He said that until they reformed a few things, including making harsher penalties, things wouldn't get cleaned up.

Think about it. Is a National Championship worth a few years of secret probation, a few scholarships reduced, potential 1 year bowl ban? I think several programs would take that. Even though the NCAA can vacate the title, they can't take away the exposure gained, the pride created, the increase in enrollment, etc. At worst some of these programs spoiled some kids by giving them improper benefits, its not like they brought in some 26 year old professional football players, juiced them up w/steroids, and gave them fake birth certificates.

I think he has a point. At some point the NCAA, if they're serious (lol), they are going to have to hand out harsh penalties if they want to stop this behavior. Part of me wants to believe that maybe they'll do it since this is the 2nd big time scandal in a year. The cynical side of me says they'll never do it to OSU or Miami, they know where their bread is buttered, so they'll wait and do it to some school outside the Top 20 w/o a tradition.

The NCAA did whack USC pretty hard, relatively speaking, and they were basically the Miami of the 2000's. But Emmert's suspicions are probably valid....even if you get caught, many of the lighter penalties that have been handed down probably make it all worth it in the end. Heck, even USC should bounce back quickly, although they have some inherent advantages that many schools (even some big time ones) do not.

I don't think the NCAA is going to wait for a mid-major (like Boise St, who was in some recent hot water) to finally take a heavy-handed approach in hopes that it scares the others into falling in line. It didn't work with SMU. Everyone will see right through that, and it could easily spawn a lawsuit. I think a more likely scenario is some of the BCS conferences breaking away from the NCAA and starting their own athletics "league." But that probably won't happen on the near horizon.

I was listening to Mike & Mike this AM and they had NCAA President Mark Emmert on. He made a very interesting point. He said that he suspects that certain athletic programs are doing their own little cost/benefit analyses and unfortunately some schools are coming to the conclusion that the benefits associated w/winning big far outweigh the potential costs of getting caught.

That is a huge point. Its the reason organized crime still can work and even flourish even when entire divisions of police and judiciary are after them. Its why individuals (like Madoff) and corporations (like Enron) do what they do to flout the law. There's a point where there is simply so much more of a benefit to committing the crime than there is the worry of capture and punishment. You have to either boost the enforcement or the punishments, or more likely both.

If the NCAA were smart, they would go through a complete reorganization both within their bureaucracy and their rulebook to make it easier to understand what is and isn't an infraction and to make enforcement and punishment more effective. They should also be much less afraid to suspend these programs completely for a period of time if that is what it takes.

Well, congratulations Mark Emmert. You pretty much just diagnosed the problem.

Now, slap Ohio State on the wrist, put Miami in minimum security prison and turn your back on the problem yet again.

Just curious, do you find boosters paying players a problem? Obviously it is now because it's against the rules. But if the

rule goes away, would you have a problem with Johnny Tailback riding around campus in a car you know he didn't pay for? I struggle with where I am on this issue. Obviously, the bounties to injure are a major problem. I think right now I'm against a universities paying a player, but I have less of a problem with a booster doing it. But that line is blurry and I understand if that comes off as hypocritical.

Archived