Whoopsie Daisy!!!!!!!

Hank Scorpio

With today's technology, couldn't you 'blank out' the Miami players, so it looks like Boston College is playing 11 on 0? Smiley face. Doesn't the tv revenue get split among the conference schools. In the short term, couldn't miami's cut be split with the rest of the ACC schools?

In the ACC it does. In the Big XII the money is distributed based on the number of TV appearances a team makes. So say you're Iowa St who gets televised 1 or 2 times a year on the conference's TV deal, and either Texas or Oklahoma (likely your only shot of getting on national TV in a given season) gets a TV ban. Sorry, you lose. And I have no idea what these TV contracts look like, but suppose ESPN has a clause in its contract with the ACC that would allow it to reduce its rights fees significantly if one of the member schools gets a TV ban? There would simply be too many unintended consequences in a TV ban nowadays.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shapiro's obviously a piece of garbage, that's not really up for debate. And it's also quite obvious that he's got an axe to grind.

That said, there was clearly SOMETHING going on.

The NCAA claims to have been investigating this well before the article came out. We'll see how it shakes out.

In the ACC it does. In the Big XII the money is distributed based on the number of TV appearances a team makes. So say you're Iowa St who gets televised 1 or 2 times a year on the conference's TV deal' date=' and either Texas or Oklahoma (likely your only shot of getting on national TV in a given season) gets a TV ban. Sorry, you lose. And I have no idea what these TV contracts look like, but suppose ESPN has a clause in its contract with the ACC that would allow it to reduce its rights fees significantly if one of the member schools gets a TV ban? [b']There would simply be too many unintended consequences in a TV ban nowadays.[/b]

Boo hoo. If the NCAA doesn't hit a school like Miami where it hurts, it will never hit another program again short of the coaching staff being caught handing cash to players.

If the ACC gets hurt by this overall, I say boo hoo again. Maybe the conference (really speaking here about all conferences) would then be more serious/careful about the schools it lets in, the strength of the compliance department, etc.

Again, until the NCAA takes a few of these schools to the shed, this stuff will keep happening. There needs to be a way to hurt these programs for a good three plus years that would cause them to get serious about the rules.

Boo hoo. If the NCAA doesn't hit a school like Miami where it hurts, it will never hit another program again short of the coaching staff being caught handing cash to players.

If the ACC gets hurt by this overall, I say boo hoo again. Maybe the conference (really speaking here about all conferences) would then be more serious/careful about the schools it lets in, the strength of the compliance department, etc.

Again, until the NCAA takes a few of these schools to the shed, this stuff will keep happening. There needs to be a way to hurt these programs for a good three plus years that would cause them to get serious about the rules.

Let me guess....if you've ever watched the movie "Full Metal Jacket" I'm betting you're favorite scene was when Private Pyle got caught with a jelly donut in his locker, and the drill sergeant made everyone else in the platoon do pushups as punishment. Are you suggesting the ACC give Miami a good ol' fashioned blanket party?

Since your name implies where your loyalties lie, how would you feel if penalties against Ohio State for all of their recent indiscretions spilled over to the rest of the Big Ten schools, hitting Indiana in the wallet? Perhaps seriously impacting their ability to pay for some of those facilities upgrades you were bragging about in the thread you started? But I guess you can say Indiana has blood on their hands too. Since they were a member of the Big Ten before Ohio State, they should have used better judgement before allowing those shady Buckeyes to join.

Let me guess....if you've ever watched the movie "Full Metal Jacket" I'm betting you're favorite scene was when Private Pyle got caught with a jelly donut in his locker' date=' and the drill sergeant made everyone else in the platoon do pushups as punishment. Are you suggesting the ACC give Miami a good ol' fashioned blanket party?

Since your name implies where your loyalties lie, how would you feel if penalties against Ohio State for all of their recent indiscretions spilled over to the rest of the Big Ten schools, hitting Indiana in the wallet? Perhaps seriously impacting their ability to pay for some of those facilities upgrades you were bragging about in the thread you started? But I guess you can say Indiana has blood on their hands too. Since they were a member of the Big Ten before Ohio State, they should have used better judgement before allowing those shady Buckeyes to join.[/quote']

Whatever. Let me know if you really want to bet on my favorite scene in FMJ - otherwise, just keep the personal pettiness to yourself.

I have no problem with it with whatever penalties are given to OSU. Hints that my feelings regarding these transgressions are colored by the conference they occur in are off-base.

These type of "too big to fail" or "it'll hurt other folks who don't deserve it" talk is bs.

There should be penalties and stigmas associated with this level of cheating that deter it. This starts with strong NCAA punishments and continues to strong aptmoshere of Conference compliance requirements, and University Presidents and Athletic Directors who emplower a pro-active compliance department along with the recruitment of a quality caliber of student athlete.

There should be penalties and stigmas associated with this level of cheating that deter it. This starts with strong NCAA punishments and continues to strong aptmoshere of Conference compliance requirements, and University Presidents and Athletic Directors who emplower a pro-active compliance department along with the recruitment of a quality caliber of student athlete.

Or perhaps it's time the NCAA wakes up and takes a different approach? The bygone notion that these kids are "student-athletes" is what I think is BS. Even if they never receive a dime in cash, they are viewed as nothing but a commodity. The coaches may care about the individual players, but the suits at the universities, conferences and networks are only interested in how much they can make out of exploiting their athletic talents. So why is it the crime of the century if these players are getting a piece of the pie?

I'm definitely not advocating that illegal activities like drugs, underage drinking and prostitution should be overlooked. That sort of thing should absolutely be punished, but through the justice system, not the NCAA. But really, what is the fundamental difference between someone like Phil Knight giving the University of Oregon hundreds of millions of dollars for the school to build a Club Med-like football facility, with massage therapy, lounges with big screen TVs and leather recliners, and round-the-clock catering (and if you check the goducks.com website, you'll see).....versus when a booster at Miami gives a player a television for his apartment or takes him out to dinner? It's hypocrisy.

Dude, check out the academic center as well. All their facilities are pro-level, if not better, and are a must see the next time you go to a Ducks game. Thanks Uncle Phil!

You want to know something funny? College athletes are not allowed into the Nike employee store b/c it would constitute an inappropriate benefit. There's a big sign right in front of the check in desk.

So if you're an NCAA athlete you can get free Nike stuff so long as its through your equipment manager at your University, but you cannot get 50% off at the employee store. It sounds a little funny but I know why they do it.

Dude, check out the academic center as well. All their facilities are pro-level, if not better, and are a must see the next time you go to a Ducks game. Thanks Uncle Phil!

You want to know something funny? College athletes are not allowed into the Nike employee store b/c it would constitute an inappropriate benefit. There's a big sign right in front of the check in desk.

So if you're an NCAA athlete you can get free Nike stuff so long as its through your equipment manager at your University, but you cannot get 50% off at the employee store. It sounds a little funny but I know why they do it.

I have seen the pics of that new place. It sure helps explain why a kid would pass up going to play in California or Florida to come to dreary Eugene, Oregon.....at least dreary for 8-9 months out of the year. Days like today make it worthwhile!

Also, when I referred to the "booster at Miami" in my previous post, I didn't mean to directly refer to Nevin Shapiro and imply that everything he did should OK. The guy is clearly a criminal and a scumbag, and I hope he ends up serving every last day of his prison sentence. But again, where is the line between some of the stuff he did for the Miami players and what Uncle Phil showers on "student-athletes" at Oregon.

But again' date=' where is the line between some of the stuff he did for the Miami players and what Uncle Phil showers on "student-athletes" at Oregon.[/quote']

You mean the line between a rich fan providing funds for a school to put in a top weight room, good food, TV room and other amenities decided by the school versus a fan who arranges for students to get into clubs, drinking, prostitution, receive cash, incentives to hurt opposing players and other!

It is hard to believe it is all hypocrisy and different shades of gray to some.

You mean the line between a rich fan providing funds for a school to put in a top weight room, good food, TV room and other amenities decided by the school versus a fan who arranges for students to get into clubs, drinking, prostitution, receive cash, incentives to hurt opposing players and other!

Way to just completely ignore what I said before that.

I'm definitely not advocating that illegal activities like drugs, underage drinking and prostitution should be overlooked. That sort of thing should absolutely be punished, but through the justice system, not the NCAA. But really, what is the fundamental difference between someone like Phil Knight giving the University of Oregon hundreds of millions of dollars for the school to build a Club Med-like football facility, with massage therapy, lounges with big screen TVs and leather recliners, and round-the-clock catering (and if you check the goducks.com website, you'll see).....versus when a booster at Miami gives a player a television for his apartment or takes him out to dinner? It's hypocrisy.

My point is that simply making the universities the middle-man on bestowing lavish gifts to athletes is nothing more than a self-serving ruse. You really think that it is that big of a leap between Phil Knight building a fancy cafeteria that serves steak and lobster tail in the football building, and him just taking the football team out to a restaurant? That's the NCAA's position, and yes, I think it's hypocritical. And trust me, the details of the amenities in these facilities are decided by him, not the U of O. But since all you seem to want to do is ignore my main point, cherry-pick certain sentences and take them out of context, I shouldn't be surprised. I'll just exit this discussion now.

Isn't that like saying one politician is evil because he took bribes from the oil industry to lax regulations and increase pollution while the one who took bribes from environmental lobbies to help the planet is a great guy? They both took bribes.

• 5 months later...

An update. To summarize:

- Shapiro is a bitter little douchebag: “I’m taking that program down to Chinatown and the former players and links to that program. Why? Because the U.S. government lined up 47 former players to testify against me in open court if I went to trial. That in itself is motivation to shove it up their collective [butts].”

- Apparently the NCAA investigators have been unable to corroborate many of Shapiro's claims, and therefore would likely dismiss them.

- While they have heard nothing from the NCAA yet, UM officials don't believe penalties will be too serious. Maybe one more year of a bowl ban, two at most (they self-imposed a ban this past season) and scholarship reductions.

LINK

Archived