Everyday Players

UnashamedRiver

And I'd bet that most if not all of those guys still pitching at 27 and beyond improved from their rookie season. At this point, you've pretty much lost all credibility by saying that Matusz and Britton have failed.

show me with a pitcher with an ERA north of 8 that is having success. That's a whole other debate, but most pitchers do not pass the audition. Obviously the ones that have passed have improved. That's why they are permanent hires. But permanent hires are not the average pitcher. You are missing my original point entirely. I said that the average pitcher gets worse every year. There are dozens of pitchers who improve late into their career. The minority is not what I'm focusing on.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a guy with an ERA north of 4.50 for his 24 and 25-age years, and then settled down and turned into a CY-candidate (third in voting) at 28.

Another guy who settled down at 26.

Matusz is 24 and was playing hurt for a while and lost some velocity. If he takes some time off over the off-season, gets healthy and works his arm strength back up, there's no reason why two years from now he can't be like the aforementioned guys. Britton is the same way. Arrieta less so, but I'm not writing him off yet. I can't and won't try to defend Tillman though.

Here's a guy with an ERA north of 4.50 for his 24 and 25-age years, and then settled down and turned into a CY-candidate (third in voting) at 28.

Another guy who settled down at 26.

Matusz is 24 and was playing hurt for a while and lost some velocity. If he takes some time off over the off-season, gets healthy and works his arm strength back up, there's no reason why two years from now he can't be like the aforementioned guys. Britton is the same way. Arrieta less so, but I'm not writing him off yet. I can't and won't try to defend Tillman though.

I'm not writing off anybody. It would be silly to say you cannot improve after age 25. It's just that the average pitcher does not. Chances are we have seen the best of Matusz and company.

Based on what? What about Matusz and company says they're all average?

Ian Kennedy is another guy who could be exactly like Matusz. Crappy 8+ ERA at 23 years old, looking like a bust. Now he's 26 on the D-Backs with 15 wins and a 3.22 ERA.

"Matusz and company" all have this exact kind of talent that Kennedy had coming out of the minors. There is absolutely nothing AVERAGE about these guys. All highly touted guys by Baseball America with great stuff.

show me with a pitcher with an ERA north of 8 that is having success. That's a whole other debate, but most pitchers do not pass the audition. Obviously the ones that have passed have improved. That's why they are permanent hires. But permanent hires are not the average pitcher. You are missing my original point entirely. I said that the average pitcher gets worse every year. There are dozens of pitchers who improve late into their career. The minority is not what I'm focusing on.

How long are those auditions for "average" pitchers though? It often takes a couple years for pitchers to learn how to pitch at the big league level and "average" pitchers don't get that long. Prospects and guys who find initial success get extended auditions and usually improve.

Please give me an example of an "average" pitcher, because at this point I think you mean a AAAA guy and not a pitcher who anyone expects to be successful in the majors.

How long are those auditions for "average" pitchers though? It often takes a couple years for pitchers to learn how to pitch at the big league level and "average" pitchers don't get that long. Prospects and guys who find initial success get extended auditions and usually improve.

Please give me an example of an "average" pitcher, because at this point I think you mean a AAAA guy and not a pitcher who anyone expects to be successful in the majors.

Here is an example. Let's say you have 10 young pitchers. More than half of them will not improve over the course of their career. Of course you have guys like Halladay who completely transform from horrible and turn into aces.

Here is an example. Let's say you have 10 young pitchers. More than half of them will not improve over the course of their career. Of course you have guys like Halladay who completely transform from horrible and turn into aces.

Give me a specific example. Just name one guy who you consider an "average" pitcher.

Give me a specific example. Just name one guy who you consider an "average" pitcher.

An average pitcher is Chris Tillman. Although he is not average according to his ERA+, in fact he's far below. The league average is a very high standard that very few pitchers can pitch to.

An average pitcher is Chris Tillman. Although he is not average according to his ERA+, in fact he's far below. The league average is a very high standard that very few pitchers can pitch to.

Earlier in the thread you discounted the Cy Young winners because they made their debut before 24. Tillman was 21.

And you can't say Tillman won't improve because he's still only 23.

Oh you must mean like Mike Gonzalez, with his 8.3 K/9 (10.4 career), which is currently better than John Smoltz's career 8.0 K/9. I guess Mike Gonzalez will last in the league as long as Smoltz did (21 years).

Or Jason Berken's 7.8 K/9 this year? I guess he'll be a stud then, throw him in the rotation when that shoulder gets fixed. Oh but his ERA got worse as his K/9 got better this year?

Or is Jim Johnson's 6.5 K/9 this year better? Maybe he belongs in the rotation. Because Matusz's 6.4 K/9 is pretty similar... yet one has the worst ERA on the team and the other has the best?

K/9 is not any predictor of long term success or immediate failure.

Archived