O'S may return to the GG defense of the 70's

wildcard

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AL Managers voted Jones the second best defensive outfielder at mid season. That would seem to say that Jones will be in the conversation for a GG at year's end.

From the Rawlings Gold Glove site:

http://www.rawlingsgoldglove.com/history

Seems Poz was right, Adam Jones is well on his way to supplanting Jeter for biggest gap between reputation and results.

Just to throw my two cents in.

1B. Reynolds does look good over there

2B Adams. Has a lot to prove. His reputation precedes him

SS Hardy. I think he's better than Izzy was during his time here. Same range, maybe better. Definitely a better arm. I think he's played a GG caliber defense. Belanger was great but I think Hardy's defense is comparable.

3B I won't even do this one

C Wieters is probably as good a defensive catcher as we've had. Great at blocking pitches and excellent at throwing.

LF Reimold has the tools, speed and a strong arm, and yet is still terrible.

CF Jones. I actually thought his rookie year that he was the best since Blair. Why does he look so below average now. Great arm but too many balls fall in, especially deep.

RF Markakis. I think he's the most overrated RF in baseball. Very good arm but overrated. Not in Jeff Francoeur's class despite assists numbers. Nick Markakis is either just plain slow, has a terrible first step, or gets bad reads on balls. He plays a deep RF in a park with a short RF so he does a good job particularly on balls over his head. Does a poor job side to side and short balls, IMO. It seems like years of years of seeing him seemingly running forever to get any fly ball close to the line in RF. On a side note, where Reimold, a RH hitter, makes every groundball a close play at 1B, it seems that Nick gets thrown out by two steps no matter where the groundball is. I know he runs hard and hustles but this goes back to my question about him either being slow or having a terrible first step. I'd love to hear what his times are to 1B out of the LH box. They should be awful.

Who is overrating Markakis?

You don't think the announcers, people in baseball, and many fans think he's a way above average RF?
I think Palmer does. I think some fans do.

I have never really heard anyone on a national level claim him to be some elite defensive player.

I happen to agree that he isn't great going to his glove side and coming in on balls.

I think he is average to slightly above average.

In May of 1899 the Cleveland Spiders won four of six games, seemingly gelling. When a previously .130 team plays .667 ball I'd certainly call that gelling. They went 13-112 the rest of the way.

The 2010 Orioles finished 34-23. The same core was brought back the following year and has gone 55-83.

The 2010 Orioles finished 34-23. The same core was brought back the following year and has gone 55-83.

I just wish the same coaching philosophy would have been brought back. We went from guys playing like they constantly had to earn their spot back to guys being sent out to the field because that's just what we do. For example, we went back to caring more about the Save Rule than the Win Rule.

I just wish the same coaching philosophy would have been brought back. We went from guys playing like they constantly had to earn their spot back to guys being sent out to the field because that's just what we do. For example, we went back to caring more about the Save Rule than the Win Rule.

Completely agree with this. One of the most disappointing things about the year. Vlad's name written on the lineup card in permanent marker and Kevin Gregg being brought in for the "save rule" are sooo beyond frustrating. Buck turned out to be just another generic manager.

I beg to differ. We won in August and September last year because we pitched well. Plain and simple. I don't think "playing like they constantly had to earn a spot" had anything to do with it.

I beg to differ. We won in August and September last year because we pitched well. Plain and simple. I don't think "playing like they constantly had to earn a spot" had anything to do with it.

I think the defense improved the last two months of last year as well as the pitching. They were trying to impress Buck. Then the O's put Reynolds at 3B and Scott in LF this year which showed a different focus.

I think the defense improved the last two month of last year as well as the pitching. They were trying to impress Buck. Then the O's put Reynolds at 3B and Scott in LF this year which showed a different focus.

I mean, I don't even know what to say to this. Grown men who play baseball for a living were not trying to impress Buck Showalter. The pitching was head and shoulders better than it should have been down the stretch last year. Everything was clicking. Say what you want about Reynolds at 3B, but his offense has made up for the lack of such last year. Overall I know that it may be a wash since his defense has been poor, but his offense has been great. And Scott was in LF for about a week. Defense was greatly improved with Lee at first for the bulk of the season.

If the players were trying to impress Buck, and thats why we were so good last year under his tenure, than I am more disappointed in the team than ever. That means they have the ability to go out and compete everyday and willingly chose not to.

Archived