Gabriel Lino is the #10 prospect

Tony-OH

For the GCL guys its hard to find an outside the org scout to give an opinion. The guys I usually talk to from out of the organization don't see these guys that far down. That said, I talked with multiple guys who have seen him. Ultimately I would have liked to have had him in the 11-20 range, but it comes down to giving the nod to a guy with the tools to be a everyday guy vice a utility/5th starter/4th of kind of guy/middle reliever guy. Honestly, after getting reports on guys I didn't see much, I ended up drooping a few guys to the teens because I can't project them as everyday guys, 4th or better starter, or closer/top level 8th inning setup guy.

Thanks Tony!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I wouldn't go that far. As of 10/6 (before the International League and Pacific Coast League prospects lists were announced), I had counted 17 international prospects for the 5 AL East teams who were listed on a BA top 20 list. 3 of those 17 were on the Orioles. I'm glad we're making a decent showing, but I'm not ready to say we're outscouting anyone else out there.

Wasn't Schoop on two of them though?

I like the risky pick, Tony! Lino's got a long road ahead of him but you know I like the tools and the scouts I spoke with who'd seen him agree. He's got the upside to be a very good ML regular.

Well, as you pointed out, I like my risky high ceiling long ways off #10 pick. I completely agree on all points. Like I said, I wish the organization was deeper so I'd be forced to put him in the safer 11-20 range, but when I looked at the remaining guys, I was hard pressed to want one of them over a potential power hitting good defensive catcher. He's what Ohlman should have been.

Tony, do you think Lino plays in Aberdeen next year or gets a full season in Delmarva splitting time with Sawyer?

I think Lino will get every opportunity to do the bulk of the catching at Delmarva next year. Sawyer can get some time, but he's nowhere near the receiver that Lino is supposed to be.

No, Bernadino, Schoop and Rodriguez are the three on the lists. Bernadino is a head scratcher though.

I would imagine that Bernadina's ranking is boosted by being the brother of a Major Leaguer. That said, Roderick seems to have better plate discipline than his brother did at a similar age and BA might believe that the power will come based on his being listed at 162 pounds (40 less than Roger weighs today).

I would imagine that Bernadina's ranking is boosted by being the brother of a Major Leaguer. That said, Roderick seems to have better plate discipline than his brother did at a similar age and BA might believe that the power will come based on his being listed at 162 pounds (40 less than Roger weighs today).

Discipline is a funny term. I saw patience, but a long swing and generally uneven approach. I am skeptical of Roderick's ability to hit for average down the road. From what I saw, Gabby had a much more controllable swing and similar power potential.

• 5 months later...
Big game for Lino today, 4-5 with a double, 2 HR's, and 4 RBI's. Figured it deserved a mention of its own outside of the Minor League game recap. Looks to be another successful international signing.

Glad to see him put up that sort of production; at the age of 18 [turning 19 in May] he is very young for A ball. He is someone who could easily skyrocket up the prospect list if he has a great year.

Archived