Dubroff: Orioles want Fielder "badly"

JTrea81

The Orioles want their Prince to come. Badly.

In a thin free agent market, Prince Fielder is the Orioles' obvious target. It?s been a long time since they were serious suitors for major free agents.

Eight years ago, the Orioles made a major push, signing Miguel Tejada to a six-year, $72 million deal, and that remains their largest deal.

Since then, they haven't been major participants. Under Andy MacPhail, they emphasized one-year contracts to older players. None were terribly successful.

Now, a new general manager would be expected to go after the Milwaukee Brewers first baseman. Why should they?

After 14 losing seasons, the Orioles will want to show that they're serious about winning. What better way than to target the primo free agent.

Last December, baseball was flabbergasted when Washington signed Jayson Werth to a seven-year, $126 million deal. The Orioles are hoping to snatch Fielder, but they probably will wait to see how the market develops. Losing Fielder to the Nationals would be an embarrassment.

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/11/05/11/Will-the-Orioles-Prince-come/landing.html?blockID=588698&feedID=6704

Although the article has no quotes, it's great to see the Orioles and Fielder being mentioned without a "we won't get him" tone to it.

That's what we need to see more of.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having the best offer (which guarantees nothing, but its fun to pretend it does) includes the team, ownership, division and city. We'll never be able to make a best offer this winter on anyone.

This is a great point and it is one that some posters seem to forget or ignore. Baseball players have families and that have family ties to certain regions. Let's say that Prince Fielder is pursued by say the Cubs, Dodgers, Orioles, Angels, Mariners and Red Sox. What would Baltimore and Seattle offer Fielder that Chicago, Boston and California (No matter the location) could not? I am from Baltimore, but I love the cities of Chicago and Boston. Both those teams also give Fielder a better chance to win as well. I do not think that the Orioles have any shot at Fielder, even if they offer him and extra year and an extra $1.5M-$2.5M per season. I actually like the Nationals chances much more than ours.

What would a lineup with Prince look like?

Doesn't seem like that's a difficult question to answer for yourself.;)

As to the terribly misleading thread title, why should I be surprised. I just hope someone lives up to his word when this offseason doesn't involve alot of spending.

Doesn't seem like that's a difficult question to answer for yourself.;)

As to the terribly misleading thread title, why should I be surprised. I just hope someone lives up to his word when this offseason doesn't involve alot of spending.

How can a thread title be misleading when it quotes the writer?

Archived