Yoennis Cespedes?

sloppyjoe

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to sign this guy just to see what happens when he stares down a HR against the Red Sox.

In all seriousness, the neat thing about having Buck and Duquette in Baltimore is there would seem to at least be a chance that we go after this guy. We need a LFer in the worst way. He could be just what we need. Or he could suck, but I have no clue. :)

My thoughts

1. No word on the Os being interested probably because DD was not around. I would not be surprized to hear of Os interest now.

2. Young, power hitter, supposedly a CF. Lots to like.

3. If we sign him, it would make Jones extremely expendable. Would look even harder to trade Jones for pitching than I would be without signing him.

4. Improves the team for long term (young player with control for a long time) and we would be making this improvement without losing a draft pick.

5. Definitely intrigued but no way for me to be able to tell whether he is really worth it, I'll leave that to DD, Buck, etc.

Haven't seen a ton from him, but honestly, I'd pony up the cash and go in on it. It would give a Jones replacement, and make a statement that we are players in more than one market. It wouldn't be as expensive as signing say Beltran, but it could end up being a value signing. I'm kinda looking at him as somewhere between Austin Jackson and Granderson.

Snowball's chance in Satan's armpit of the O's making an offer notwithstanding, what's your opinion of Cespedes?

You know, I'm not even going to weigh in, really. I'd defer to the scouts who get to see him up close and are good enough to get paid for what they are doing. From what I've read, seen, and heard, Cespedes is a special talent and could end up a top 10 prospect in baseball. That's a pretty valuable commodity. If he were on the free agent market with the kind of track record of success that some scouts project of him, he'd be competing with Prince and Pujols for the most lucrative contract.

However, he doesn't have that track record. He's a great athlete who has had a lot of success in Cuba, but we really know very little about how to translate production from that league.

This is a realm where you really have to trust your scouts. Multi-year deals that approach 8 digits per season are rare for int'l talents. But I will say that if Cespedes is anywhere near as good as he's hyped to be, he's a steal at that price.

You know, I'm not even going to weigh in, really. I'd defer to the scouts who get to see him up close and are good enough to get paid for what they are doing. From what I've read, seen, and heard, Cespedes is a special talent and could end up a top 10 prospect in baseball. That's a pretty valuable commodity. If he were on the free agent market with the kind of track record of success that some scouts project of him, he'd be competing with Prince and Pujols for the most lucrative contract.

However, he doesn't have that track record. He's a great athlete who has had a lot of success in Cuba, but we really know very little about how to translate production from that league.

This is a realm where you really have to trust your scouts. Multi-year deals that approach 8 digits per season are rare for int'l talents. But I will say that if Cespedes is anywhere near as good as he's hyped to be, he's a steal at that price.

It'll certainly be interesting to see who he winds up signing with, along with the rationale that underpins his team's decision to fork over the cash. Sounds like the sort of gamble the O's should be seriously investigating, at the least. Hope that's happening.

Archived