Connolly: Cuddyer near top of list for Orioles

Sports Guy

Connolly's article and style are a perfect example of what is wrong with the media's coverage of the Orioles.

STOP LOWERING EXPECTATIONS AND JUSTIFYING THE ORIOLES' ACTIONS!!!

Your posts and writing style are the perfect example of what is wrong with a certain group of Orioles fans.

STOP TRYING TO ESCAPE REALITY AND BELIEVING THIS TEAM IS GOING TO JACK UP IT'S PAYROLL!!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to be clear: are we all mad about Cuddyer because of Cuddyer, or because of his potential contract? Perhaps a bit of both?

Cuddyer is a good guy who has had a few above average years and a few replacement-level years. He has some versatility by virtue of being able to stand in 5 different positions without completely embarrassing himself, though he doesn't have particularly good range anywhere. I'm always surprised by the overlap between guys that managers consider "baseball players" and guys who have been very inconsistent over their careers.

If Cuddyer were not offered arbitration and would sign for something like 2/15 or 1/8 with an option I'd be interested, but that's highly unrealistic.

Really, though, Nolan Reimold has posted a nearly identical wOBA over his young ML career, is no worse defensively in left, would not cost a draft pick and will make about 5% of what would be owed Cuddyer in 2012 with no long-term contractual obligations. There's really no reason to pursue Cuddyer.

Cuddyer is a good guy who has had a few above average years and a few replacement-level years. He has some versatility by virtue of being able to stand in 5 different positions without completely embarrassing himself, though he doesn't have particularly good range anywhere. I'm always surprised by the overlap between guys that managers consider "baseball players" and guys who have been very inconsistent over their careers.

If Cuddyer were not offered arbitration and would sign for something like 2/15 or 1/8 with an option I'd be interested, but that's highly unrealistic.

Really, though, Nolan Reimold has posted a nearly identical wOBA over his young ML career, is no worse defensively in left, would not cost a draft pick and will make about 5% of what would be owed Cuddyer in 2012 with no long-term contractual obligations. There's really no reason to pursue Cuddyer.

The Orioles would literally be paying for the idea that he is a good clubhouse guy. He is said to be one of the best teammates in all of baseball.

How much is that worth?

I feel like we're all missing something when it comes to Reimold.

Is the guy just a supreme a-hole or something? Does he take too many pitches for the Orioles liking? What's the deal, here?

This. I think Cuddyer is a fine player and would be a good fit on another team, many teams; but not this one. I will not be pitchfork angry over Cuddyer, but it is not an ideal move to say the least.

I'm no SJ-basher, but when have you ever been pitchfork-angry? :)

I feel like we're all missing something when it comes to Reimold.

Is the guy just a supreme a-hole or something? Does he take too many pitches for the Orioles liking? What's the deal, here?

I just stated this elsewhere, but one reason I was hesitant about bringing in Buck was his reputation for building doghouses and pedestals and keeping the gates to both locked.

Archived